Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

In some ways the cheap little Sanwu and now cloneboards without Sanwu name are very good, superior to the most expensive boards, the tiny boards can put out 5 times more watts into a load that dips to~1.5 ohm (electrostatic hybrid speaker), the tiny size probably being the superior designfeature

Or just buy 5a 36v smps then buy 8a buck converter, it might be useful later for another amp. And by using buck converter, you got more than 5a @24v. Like around 7a for headroom. You might want to add sub later. Since i'm running dual chip tpa3116d2 stereo, i need less microfarad.

For noise filtering, 1k in series to 470uf to ground seems works. At least, i have significantly reduce bluetooth module noise powered from the same transformer(and li-ion cell) with the amp with these. I fail using inductor(0.8mm copper enamel wire on ferrite core + 1000-4700uf),noise still there caps with these cheap bluetooth module. The attemps to silence these noise cost me more than the amps itself. I hate these bt module, but I already bought 5 of it.

Hey guys hope everyone is doing well. Since reading about volt+d amp's great reviews I've been thinking of buying one as a replacement for my current hybrid amp setup.

But few things are still kind of in the grey area.

Straight to the point. Why majority of audiophiles are reluctant to buy class d board like volt+d. According to the bench test results of thd, sinad, xtalk from audiosciencereview.com this volt+d performs better or in par with amps (class ab and d) which are often ten times it's price of it.

Some of you might be typing atm about sweet sound, sound signature, emotional sound, etc. Offcourse all those things are important to enjoy music but those are easily attainable by pairing it with preamplifiers of each person's sound liking. If you want warm sound pair it with a tube pre. If bright sound is needed pair it with bright sounding solid state pre.

For me the only limitations I see is power output, multiple inputs, brand value, casing. But from a sound quality point of view volt+d ticks all the boxes. Especially talking about power even a great bunch of audiophile amps only produce around 30 to 40watts per channel which is in the same ball park as volt+d.

So what is it really that keeps audiophiles away from a class d amp which measures good like volt+d

I know my thread is very direct and on the face, it's because I'm in search of information which I might be missing which if acquired would help me to choose amplifiers.

But I've seen in many places where people say. "yes that class d amp is very good for the price but my 3000 dollar amp has better depth or etc reasons." but then on bench test this 3000 dollar amp performs inferior to the inexpensive class d.

What I dont understand is when there is something to say like more Soundstage it should be a function of a certain measurement. In the case of sound stage it is a function of xtalk and I've seen people say 3000 $ amp has better Soundstage but when measured xtalk is higher compared to class d. So is it safe to say that their ego is speaking.?

Price point and fear of new technology has something to do with it.

I often think that you could change massive chunks of a person's system and if they were unaware they wouldn't notice a difference. Expectation bias is very powerful.

I cant remember where I saw it but there was an interview with a hifi dealer and he said he couldn't stock certain speakers because although they performed as well as high end rivals they couldn't sell them because they were too cheap and people wouldn't bite because of it.

Class-d strips out a lot of the big and bulky components, size and weight of the shipping as well etc. so naturally they are cheaper and perhaps fall victim to this situation of perceived value.

People that slag class-d off or say it isn't quite a competitor yet has their money invested in other routes. It wouldn't benefit him or her to be an advocate of a cheaper product.

Perhaps.

Last edited:
I think manufacturers are more reluctant than consumers as they have more at stake. On the whole I've seen lots on audiophile forums try cheap tpa amps and give positive feedback but still remain with their class ab or whatever. But one has to remember there is a huge cross section of audio enthusiasts that pontificate on the difference in the sound of one 1 metre length of power cable to another. Consumers need to feel a certain way and manufacturers instill this in them with reassurance of price and tried and true technology.

Maybe.

Did you eventually find out the reason why hypex couldn't play bass.?

These are the kind of information I'm looking for.

Someone figured it out, but not me. It was an overcomplicated passive crossover, that was the issue. The 400 watt hypex simply could not play bass with that load. The AB amp was nothing special, so don't just trust measurements, they are only as good as our ability to understand them. I don't so I go with what ever trigger my interest.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a bunch of TPA3116's (used them for years), and I now have the TPA3255, although the new TPA3255, albeit more expensive, it is superior in every way. No audible noise (hiss or hum with 40uV background), no turn on or turn off pop, lower distortion, higher power, and with PFFB option, even lower distortion than standard version. So the TPA3116 is now relegated to stuff like kitchen speakers. But the TPA3255 is a true giant killer (competes with my best Class AB and Class A amps). Ultimately, the Class A's have the edge on smoothness and naturalness, soundstage, and imaging. But they sure are bigger, hotter running, and more expensive.

Here is FFT for 10w into 10ohm load (EBG ultra low distortion thin film resistor load):
837048d1587662608-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-tpa3255-v002-10-0vrms-10ohms-fft-pffb-victors-osc-jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys hope everyone is doing well. Since reading about volt+d amp's great reviews I've been thinking of buying one as a replacement for my current hybrid amp setup.

But few things are still kind of in the grey area.

Straight to the point. Why majority of audiophiles are reluctant to buy class d board like volt+d. According to the bench test results of thd, sinad, xtalk from audiosciencereview.com this volt+d performs better or in par with amps (class ab and d) which are often ten times it's price of it.

Some of you might be typing atm about sweet sound, sound signature, emotional sound, etc. Offcourse all those things are important to enjoy music but those are easily attainable by pairing it with preamplifiers of each person's sound liking. If you want warm sound pair it with a tube pre. If bright sound is needed pair it with bright sounding solid state pre.

For me the only limitations I see is power output, multiple inputs, brand value, casing. But from a sound quality point of view volt+d ticks all the boxes. Especially talking about power even a great bunch of audiophile amps only produce around 30 to 40watts per channel which is in the same ball park as volt+d.

So what is it really that keeps audiophiles away from a class d amp which measures good like volt+d

I know my thread is very direct and on the face, it's because I'm in search of information which I might be missing which if acquired would help me to choose amplifiers.

I believe it is due to missing "prestige".

The Volt+d is limited in output power, in particular in 8 or 6 Ohm loads. Though the output power from the TPA3116/8 is in most cases enough, it is for a general consumer seen as little because amplifier Watts are so cheap now-a-days.

Volt+d is the raw thing, made with high quality components but lacking the elegant cabinet. The Volt+d has little wife-appeal also called WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) by a top-VIP (with a tolerant wife). Also I like the superior workmanship of a top-cost amplifier with a solid aluminum (or even real wood) cabinet, not the plastic imitations used in the lower price segment. Though impressed with the mechanical "feel", the cabinet is absolutely secondary to the sound from a rational point of view.

A Volt+d amplifier in your living-room makes you look like a tech-nerd, not someone with a solid economy.

The Volt+d is only a power stage, you have to add a pre-amplifier and a power supply. It will not ruin your economy but makes the system look a bit shabby.

Though I find the TPA3116/8 amazingly good and the Volt+d probably gets the maximum out of the chip, there are other chips that may be even a bit better (TPA325x family). The price is often comparable to the Volt+d.

Through centuries we have been taught (programmed) to believe that prestige is the prime goal. This still sells some B&O product with amazing (subjective) looks but more arguable performance in the top price segment.
If you are rational, you break free of this status perception and use a Volt+d or the like. Else, just follow the crowd.

Last edited: