Cheap TPA3118D2 boards, modding them and everything that comes with it

Aaaaand we got and received a fake one.
Or in my case a couple of them unfortunately.

The item description showed the correct version.
But in this case I got a TPA3118 with only 28 pins.
Obviously that is not correct.

Bit annoying since I got a couple of them, have to open a dispute etc.

I wonder what chip it actually is, on the left you can see an 100% legit TPA3110

Attachments

• TPA3118_fake.jpg
    TPA3118_fake.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 472
I dont dont want to use a pre amp, is there a way?

I recently purchased a tpa3118 and i trying to use it for my tv. i was told it woulds work but the input signal isnt strong enought to make it fully engage. i also read somewhere that you can remove some resistors to make is more sensitive, does anyone know what i can do to get this working?

One can hand solder finer pitched IC pins than this one. I just cut a narrow strip of gaffer tape to hold down the IC, then solder the corner pins one at a time using a 10x soldering microscope. There are different techniques for soldering the rest of the pins, probably easiest to watch some youtube videos on how to do it.

Normally the board is too sensitive and you need to remove one sms resistor to have normal sensitivity
Thanks for the answer, how to could it be to sensitive are you talking about the electronics or the boards ability to pick up signals, my issure is that the signal isnt strong enought and i was to make the board pick up a weaker signal that it will currently allow.

I foolishly bought into the Internet craze of the time on these... ended up buying several of the things . Modding them all in the proscribed flavor of the Month .
Truth is that ALL of mine sounded like ****... and went into the trash bin. Want decent quality sounds?? Spend more.
There Ain't No free lunch.

To be fair to the TPA311x amps, there are good, mediocre, and bad examples.
The TPA3118 Sanwu Blue PBTL, which others here rave about, I found to be clinical-sounding and disappointing, even after modding.
But later I tried the SMSL SA-36A pro which was quite good, then the (very cheap) Breeze Audio TPA3116 "Mini" amplifier, which is even better. If anyone is interested in the Breeze, it can still be found on AliExpress for less than US$30. There are several variants, including a dual-TPA3116 version, but avoid the versions which include an opamp front end - the opamp-free version sounds better -
NEW Breeze Audio HiFi Class 2.0 Audio Stereo Digital Power Amplifier TPA3116 Advanced 2*50W Mini Home Aluminum Enclosure amp|tpa3116 advanced|breeze audio hifiamplifier tpa3116 - AliExpress
NEW Breeze Audio Mini HiFi Class 2.0 Audio Stereo Digital Power home theater amplifier TPA3116 Advanced 2*50W|tpa3116 advanced|breeze audio hifiamplifier tpa3116 - AliExpress

Ultimately, I rate the TPA3116 as very good, but not outstanding. I have high hopes for its successor, the TPA3221, which I am soon to test.

Thanks for the answer, how to could it be to sensitive are you talking about the electronics or the boards ability to pick up signals, my issue is that the signal isn't strong enought and i was to make the board pick up a weaker signal that it will currently allow.

Mine picks up noise. With phone lineout it's pretty loud, but with no signal ther is a lot of noise. I need to remove the R27 or R28 (don't remember but have the info somewhere). I have som small op amp buffer I will try in front

I recently purchased a tpa3118 and i trying to use it for my tv. i was told it woulds work but the input signal isnt strong enought to make it fully engage. i also read somewhere that you can remove some resistors to make is more sensitive, does anyone know what i can do to get this working?

Can you link the TPA3118 you purchased? Is it still too quiet with the volume dial of your amplifier turned all the way up?

To be fair to the TPA311x amps, there are good, mediocre, and bad examples.
The TPA3118 Sanwu Blue PBTL, which others here rave about, I found to be clinical-sounding and disappointing, even after modding.
But later I tried the SMSL SA-36A pro which was quite good, then the (very cheap) Breeze Audio TPA3116 "Mini" amplifier, which is even better. If anyone is interested in the Breeze, it can still be found on AliExpress for less than US$30. There are several variants, including a dual-TPA3116 version, but avoid the versions which include an opamp front end - the opamp-free version sounds better -
NEW Breeze Audio HiFi Class 2.0 Audio Stereo Digital Power Amplifier TPA3116 Advanced 2*50W Mini Home Aluminum Enclosure amp|tpa3116 advanced|breeze audio hifiamplifier tpa3116 - AliExpress
NEW Breeze Audio Mini HiFi Class 2.0 Audio Stereo Digital Power home theater amplifier TPA3116 Advanced 2*50W|tpa3116 advanced|breeze audio hifiamplifier tpa3116 - AliExpress

Ultimately, I rate the TPA3116 as very good, but not outstanding. I have high hopes for its successor, the TPA3221, which I am soon to test.

Do you perhaps know what the gain is on these Breeze Audio Amp units in the URL's that you posted?
I'm quite partial to low gain (20dB) on these amps and do not require more for my use case. Thanks in advance.

Do you perhaps know what the gain is on these Breeze Audio Amp units in the URL's that you posted?
I just checked my Breeze amp now - the input gain is 32dB (R1=39k R2=100k) - which you would expect for such a cheap amplifier's target market ...
but it's relatively straightforward to change the gain to 20dB - just de-solder the 100k resistor - the one marked "104".
Remove the heatsink, and be careful not to touch anything else with your soldering iron other than the 100k resistor!

Any news to report on your testing of TPA3221?
Life is busy, so slow progress with other projects. Here's a photo of where I'm at. Mini-XLR connectors will be fitted to the rear, and a hard-wired DC power cable.

With attention to power supplies I found it to play in another league to TPA3116 (with similar attention to PSU).
Please tell.
Before pulling the unit apart I only tried it with the supplied 15V SMPS. I was thinking to try with 19V and 24V, and then I can add a capacitance multiplier (from ALLO).
Eventually I could try an LLC SMPS, if that's worth the money/effort?

Attachments

• TPA3221-in-progress.jpg
    TPA3221-in-progress.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 369
Wait! Before anyone rushes to buy that Breeze TPA3116 amp I mentioned, I just noticed there's now a TPA3221 version for just a few dollars more -
Class D Power Amplifier Bluetooth 4.2 105W*2 TPA3221 NE5532 Digital Amplify 2.0 4A DC18V 30V|Amplifier| - AliExpress
For such a small sum of money I doubt this will be the best implementation of the TPA3221 (!) and I really think that these amps are better without opamp input stages, but if you want a fully assembled unit which won't dent your pocket much, this looks like a good candidate.

I just checked my Breeze amp now - the input gain is 32dB (R1=39k R2=100k) - which you would expect for such a cheap amplifier's target market ...
but it's relatively straightforward to change the gain to 20dB - just de-solder the 100k resistor - the one marked "104".
Remove the heatsink, and be careful not to touch anything else with your soldering iron other than the 100k resistor!

Thanks for your informative feedback.

And don't forget to check if the heat grease on the heatsink and chip has not dried up. If so, replace it with a thin layer. That worked wonders for me.

Thank you. I see you have been modding the TPA3220 micro EVM's VDD/GVDD/AVDD rails. I have the dual-mono TPA3221 amp by "FR", and the VDD/GVDD/AVDD components of that setup are difficult to get to - they are underneath the overhang of a large heatsink. Also the 2 separate amp boards are firmly held together by a glass-fibre panel at right-angles to each board, soldered in place. I will restrict my mods to bypassing the opamps, and going full differential input.

I should add, though, that this amp's 5V regulator is ONsemi MC78M05A. I don't know if that's good, average, or bad.