CD player with distortion. laser?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Typical. isn't it ??

Go out of satellite coverage for a day or so and the thread skips on several pages !!!

If you don't have any luck by next Monday, list the chip numbers you require.

I am sure I have them in my piles of junk boards.
I can have a look on Tuesday / Wednesday.

Andy

.PS... currently at 81 deg 32min North, 06 deg 13 min West

Last edited:
Typical. isn't it ??

Go out of satellite coverage for a day or so and the thread skips on several pages !!!

If you don't have any luck by next Monday, list the chip numbers you require.

I am sure I have them in my piles of junk boards.
I can have a look on Tuesday / Wednesday.

Andy

.PS... currently at 81 deg 32min North, 06 deg 13 min West

Can I take you up on that offer anyway, I am in no hurry to be honest,
I would appreciate any help, which I am so humbled by how much I am getting with this problem. I have learnt so much in such a short space of time from you guys, and I am loving every minute of the testing and trial and error process, and how a cd player works, which I thought I knew, um no, I didnt :eek:

The main chip I am after at the moment which might be suspect is the DRAM chip

The code on the chip is, to be exact: MN4264P-15 18pin DRAM chip

there is also the filter chip for this but suspect that this is okay, but incase its a: SAA7210P 40 pin chip

I presume that that the other filter and the DAC chip are fine as I ran the offboard DAC check.

If you can have a look next week that would be great, and let me know if you have any and how much you want etc.

Have a great evening, this thread WILL have a happy ending, and I cant wait to get the beauty working. In a few months time, I will back on here wanting to upgrade it, so look out.:D:rolleyes:

That's brilliant... if you can get hold of the two SAA's as well even better as ultimately your (and anyones) only way "proving" these is by substitution.

So the next question... do you know how to unsolder them neatly using braid ?

So the signal goes through both SAAs before going through the external DAC outputs?
No I am unfamiliar with braid, but anything to make my life easier if I have to desolder a 40pin chip :eek:

Can I take you up on that offer anyway, I am in no hurry to be honest,
I would appreciate any help, which I am so humbled by how much I am getting with this problem. I have learnt so much in such a short space of time from you guys, and I am loving every minute of the testing and trial and error process, and how a cd player works, which I thought I knew, um no, I didnt :eek:

The main chip I am after at the moment which might be suspect is the DRAM chip

The code on the chip is, to be exact: MN4264P-15 18pin DRAM chip

there is also the filter chip for this but suspect that this is okay, but incase its a: SAA7210P 40 pin chip

I presume that that the other filter and the DAC chip are fine as I ran the offboard DAC check.

If you can have a look next week that would be great, and let me know if you have any and how much you want etc.

Have a great evening, this thread WILL have a happy ending, and I cant wait to get the beauty working. In a few months time, I will back on here wanting to upgrade it, so look out.:D:rolleyes:

Mooly has recommended that, if possible, I get both SAA chips.
So the chip list is as follows to keep it clear:

MN4264P-15 18pin DRAM chip
SAA7210P 40 pin chip
SAA7220P/B

Thanks Andy :D

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This stuff,
CHEMTRONICS|40-3-5|SODER-WICK PB FREE SD 2.0MM | CPC

you need a good iron with paradoxically a largish tip that holds the heat.

Braid is pressed on the joint while heating and the solder flows into the braid... it's really quick and easy. Around 2 seconds per joint. The IC should come out undamaged like new.

Worth practicing on anything scrap if you can to get the hang of it. Secret is not to ram the iron in damaging the print... just light pressure and heat.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The signal does "pass through" the SAA's but it's more complicated than that.

If you are really interested then getting some books on the subject is probably best, including how the data is made up and put on the disc.

I spent 3 days at Sony in Thatcham many years ago in the early days of CD where we pulled all the theory apart.

It's a huge subject, and although most of the theory isn't needed to repair the players, it does give a great insight into how it all comes together... and helps with trying to figure where problems may be.

This stuff,
CHEMTRONICS|40-3-5|SODER-WICK PB FREE SD 2.0MM | CPC

you need a good iron with paradoxically a largish tip that holds the heat.

Braid is pressed on the joint while heating and the solder flows into the braid... it's really quick and easy. Around 2 seconds per joint. The IC should come out undamaged like new.

Worth practicing on anything scrap if you can to get the hang of it. Secret is not to ram the iron in damaging the print... just light pressure and heat.

Thats excellent, getting some of that, got nothing planned for the weekend, so I can hone my skills, before attacking the PCB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.