CD player with distortion. laser?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Interesting... and this is where it gets so subjective and splits so many opinions. Many dismiss the OPA2604 as "coloured" and so won't consider it... the amazing thing to me is that we do hear these microscopic differences at all. This colour or distortion isn't something that's visible on a 'scope, it's absolutely tiny, and more to do with the spread of the distortion products it produces. Ultimately it's how the whole system comes together too.
So many say they want something that adds or subtracts nothing to the sound... yet what do you do then, when you have a system like that, but don't actually enjoy listening to it, or you hear something that is "less perfect" but has that magic about it that works on all music and recordings.

Edit... a big download (think it's around 30mb) on opamps,
SG-Acoustics · Samuel Groner · IC OpAmps

Quite interesting looking at the distortion spectrum of the various devices.

Last edited:
Sorry its been a while. Done the full CAP upgrade with Elna Silmic two's despite being very large they fit fine and sound amazing.
My new project is that I have designed and will be building a decent HI-FI rack, I have access to some gorgeous hardwoods and a CNC machine, so have come up with a whacky design, some of it sound based and some to look good.
Anyway the CD player is sounding amazing, like its had a new lease of life, going to have to spend a fair amount to beat the sound now.

I have the same problem in a Marantz CD50 after upgrading all the capacitors!

what I hear is 99% of digital noise (almost like pink noise) and a background music very little noticeable.

I changed the DRAM chip (MN4264P-15) and continues all the same!

Changed the DAC chip (TDA1541A) and still the "pink noise"!

Can anyone help?

I'll be very grateful,

Antonio

I have the same problem in a Marantz CD50 after upgrading all the capacitors!

what I hear is 99% of digital noise (almost like pink noise) and a background music very little noticeable.

I changed the DRAM chip (MN4264P-15) and continues all the same!

Changed the DAC chip (TDA1541A) and still the "pink noise"!

Can anyone help?

I'll be very grateful,

Antonio

I do hope that you get it sorted, I can certainly vouch for the skilled guys on here, two basically saved my CD player from being chucked, so best of luck, and above all (even tho I am still a novice) dont give up, its amazing when you finally get it sorted, and you will I am sure, hence why I am now upgrading, never would have done it, had I not had the help and confidence inspired by these folks to see it through. :D

Hi, Cutting a long story short, to change my opamps easily I have to keep desoldering this little circuit (presumably the upgrade by Orelle) that sits over two of the three opamps, If I were to gently cut a corner off of each section (top left and top right in the picture) to be able access the opamps beneath, would this ruin the circuit, or do you think that there is an easier way. The circuit sits and covers the two chips shown in the second and third pics.

CIMG6400.jpg

CIMG6401.jpg

CIMG6373.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can't see any problem cutting the corners, apart from maintaining the connections at the lower edge the whole lot can be cut away.

I was going cross eyed looking at this and trying to piece the actual circuit together. Seems as though it may be some kind of integrator (dc servo ?) or/and some means of injecting a current into the analogue stages. There's what looks like it's going to be a 78L series regulator feeding via a resistor network into the opamp outputs.

Attachments

• Orelle.jpg
    Orelle.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 133
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.