Cartridge dynamic behaviour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's intentional 7:3 duty cycle 400Hz. I wonder why?

Rise times and corners look asymmetric and v soft at first sight........

LD
This how a non pre-emphased 3:7 squarewave is processed by a Riaa amp.
It looks quite different from what I have recorded.
So what could be meant ??
I'll try it anyhow with a straight amp and we'll see what it brings.

Hans

Attachments

• square-wave3.jpg
    square-wave3.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 150
Thinking about it, a 3:7 duty cycle for the squarewave will have dc bias. For the groove shape that presents problems I think, since one has to integrate velocity to obtain displacement, and so the offset would accumulate?

In reality, the cutter head would be ac coupled with perhaps a 20Hz high pass filter. But that's enough to tilt the tops of square waves at 400Hz...….

I don't get it.

LD

This is the same square wave but now through a flat amp.
Upper image is a linear scale, lower image on a logarithmic scale.
Sampled with 192K/24.

Looks almost like a one pole hi-pass? On a log scale it is a straight line and if extrapolated both positive and negative intersect zero in about the same time. This is an easy way to get the time constant. Still what the intent was is not obvious.

And here is the Ortofon sweep Track, played through a flat preamp, again recorded with 192K/24bit.
The Red line represents a 10dB/oct line for a perfect logarithmic CV sweep spectrum.
Deviation on average is quite good to my feeling, but a bit a bit turbulent at the end.

Compared to the Adjust+ record, this sweep is "noisier", most likely because it is much shorter in time.
I have chosen for a 1024 points FFT with 75% overlap, resulting in 1065 data points on the curve.

Hans

Attachments

• PN1.jpg
    PN1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 124
And just for completeness, here is the noise with PU arm in the air through the straight amp.
Seeing the deviations and roll off between 40kHz and 50kHz, I'm not yet sure what's causing this and whether there is some filter contributing to the fact that the Ortofon FR curve doesn't go to 50kHz but only to 45kHz.
So there's still work in progress.

Hans

Attachments

• Noise.jpg
    Noise.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 119
Looks almost like a one pole hi-pass? On a log scale it is a straight line and if extrapolated both positive and negative intersect zero in about the same time. This is an easy way to get the time constant. Still what the intent was is not obvious.
Think that's the artefact of removing the dc at the cutter with a high pass.........sure looks like. Why 3:7 beats me. LD

Last edited:
And here is the Ortofon sweep Track, played through a flat preamp, again recorded with 192K/24bit.

Hans

@Hans that was recorded flat.

O.k., so you played through a flat preamp ?
In that case it is still a logarithmic sweep going down with 10dB/dec.

Hans, why do you process the raw data in this way? If you look at JP's raw data it is nearly flat because CV cutter and cartridge are complementary i.e. a perfect cartridge would be perfectly flat when there is no RIAA, the sweep would make no difference. CV is proportional to f so it is 20db/dec not 10. The constant velocity region of the RIAA curve (past ~2k) is a single pole roll off, so 20db/dec.

Attachments

• jpsweep.png
    jpsweep.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 116
Hans, why do you process the raw data in this way? If you look at JP's raw data it is nearly flat because CV cutter and cartridge are complementary i.e. a perfect cartridge would be perfectly flat when there is no RIAA, the sweep would make no difference. CV is proportional to f so it is 20db/dec not 10. The constant velocity region of the RIAA curve (past ~2k) is a single pole roll off, so 20db/dec.
This is a perfect CV file and its FFT, without processing in between.
Does it go down by 20dB/dec, I don't think so.

Hans

Attachments

• Chirp.jpg
    Chirp.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.