Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A

Hi all

Just received 16 TDA1541A, all R1 versions. What actually does the R1 mean? better or worse than standard? Or just other factory? My sony player 227esd also has two R1 versions.

I bought them at http://www.elektronica-online.nl/ At the site they state the price as being 9 euro excluding vat, but when I received the e-mail with the confirmation and final price, they charged 9 euro including vat. I think this is a fair price, but maybe a group buy can even lower it.

At least a group buy on the decoupling capacitors will hold some true advantages - in the octal version there are 112 decoupling capacitors... :D

Now I am even more interested in ready boards!

Erik

Ecdesigns, so you are a Mac fan. I have an imac but its dead, i am still thinking to completely switch over to mac. (have now Ubuntu-Linux on an old P3 installed: finally got rid of spyware, updates, service packs, firewalls, visusalerts, and trojan horses)

Erik, 9 euro's is a fair price these days. Wat batchnumber do they have?

-ecdesigns- said:
Hi, a333bt

> The octal D-I DAC can have both 74HCT161 or 74HC161, the 74HC161 chip's you accidently bought are fine.

Hello ecdesigns and all

I have fiew 74HCT161 around too , and would love to experiment a "twin" balanced version with the TDA1543 . Also I will use some buffers/inverters 74HC08 for the BCK and DATA .
Can you please post a schematic for a 74HCT161 experiment version?

thanks
sb

Group buys, printed circuit boards

Hi maxlorenz,

Thanks for your reply [post#296]

> I can provide the printed circuit boards for a group buy, I need to order them anyway. I can even pre-assemble the SMD parts if desired. But first I must be 100% sure the circuit board designs are optimal.

For those who also want to use the same housing, I can supply all housing parts too.

> If someone wants to supply electrical components for the octal D-I DAC kit, for a group buy, it's fine with me.

> I post results of the Riken-Ohm resistors as soon as I have tested them, I am also curious about their performance in both the I/V stages and the differential OP-amp stage, using the "neutral" metal film resistors as reference.

Dear Ecdesigns:

I can provide the printed circuit boards for a group buy, I need to order them anyway. I can even pre-assemble the SMD parts if desired. But first I must be 100% sure the circuit board designs are optimal.

These are excellent news! We were sure that we could count on you! :)

For those who also want to use the same housing, I can supply all housing parts too.

Another good news but for your neighbours... shipment would be too expensive for me.

> If someone wants to supply electrical components for the octal D-I DAC kit, for a group buy, it's fine with me.

Ah! This is very kind of you!
Now we only have to find a voluntary :D

> I post results of the Riken-Ohm resistors as soon as I have tested them, I am also curious about their performance in both the I/V stages and the differential OP-amp stage, using the "neutral" metal film resistors as reference.

I hope you like them to prouve myself that I'm not crazy!
Burn-in period: more than 3 days, IMHO, for full effect. They sound good already anyway.

Cheers
M

The R version.....

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies,

dddac [post#298]

Calculating estimate cost for the complete analog mainboard with all modules, and separate modules will take some time.

tubee [post#304]

Yes once you have worked with a mac, you automatically become a mac fan, its pure luxury. I have both a mac-mini and a 1.8GHZ G5 SP (with firmware update). But ubuntu (Dapper drake) works fine too. If you come over for a listening session, you could take the imac with you so I can have a look at it.

You will have to wait a little bit longer for the listening sessions, but I will inform both you and ErikdeBest as soon as I've got some more time.

rfbrw meant by the "runt of the litter" that the R version is the worst one: 2 lsb error max :(.

The DAC TDA1541A version issue:

Remember you are not using a standard single TDA1541A setup where the linearity is important, and a double crown version is preferred. When you use 8 1541A DAC's in parallell, like in the octal D-I DAC, linearity (bit) errors are the least to worry about :) , any TDA1541A will do just fine, so don't worry about this at all (I am using "runt of the litter" R versions too ;) ). Problems you might encounter are small DC offset differences, due to part tolerances. These can be optimized by swapping TDA's from groups 1,3,5,7 with groups 2,4,6,8 until minimum DC offset for both L and R channels is obtained.

stefanobilliani [post#307]

When you want to try a twin balanced version of the D-I DAC, regardless of the DAC chip used (you can also build a octal D-I DAC with TDA1543's of course), you only need WS, WS32, D, and ND32. So you only need 4 X 74HCT161 for WS32, and 4 X 74HCT161 plus an inverter for ND32. Basically you can use the schematic diagram tim1.jpg [post#41] and remove chips U5, U6, U7, U12, U13, U14, U15B, U15C, and U15D. If you want, I can also draw a new diagram for you.

Ok thanks Ecdesign for the offer to repair, but not nessesary, i don't want to fed you up with that old imac, you can use your precious time for better purposes!

The swapping of 1541's for dc-offset is a good idea, many i/v's have a pot or so for offset-nulling, i was wondering how it would work with 8 dacs in your D-I design.

(btw i translated "runt of the litter" on the first site i hitted, a very strange translation)

Re: The R version.....

-ecdesigns- said:

The DAC TDA1541A version issue:

Remember you are not using a standard single TDA1541A setup where the linearity is important, and a double crown version is preferred. When you use 8 1541A DAC's in parallell, like in the octal D-I DAC, linearity (bit) errors are the least to worry about :) , any TDA1541A will do just fine, so don't worry about this at all (I am using "runt of the litter" R versions too ;) ).

Does this mean the world can finally get rid of all those cheap non A '1541's taking up storage space all over the continent?

Re: The R version.....

-ecdesigns- said:
Hi All,

stefanobilliani [post#307]

When you want to try a twin balanced version of the D-I DAC, regardless of the DAC chip used (you can also build a octal D-I DAC with TDA1543's of course), you only need WS, WS32, D, and ND32. So you only need 4 X 74HCT161 for WS32, and 4 X 74HCT161 plus an inverter for ND32. Basically you can use the schematic diagram tim1.jpg [post#41] and remove chips U5, U6, U7, U12, U13, U14, U15B, U15C, and U15D. If you want, I can also draw a new diagram for you.

ecdesigns,
thanks for your reply .
the schematic for octal D-I DAC and his sub-multiples possible features results pretty clear to me .
What is not clear to me is how to use 74HCT161 instead of 74HCT166 . Looking at theyr datasheets I cant find out the way.
If you can draw a schematic for 74HCT161 it will be very welcome . If not ... no problem at all ..will wait for the '166 the next week ok.

Cheap TDA1541's

Hi rfbrw

thanks for your reply[post#315]

No, actually they can't get rid of all those cheap non A 1541's, as I clearly stated: any TDA1541A will do just fine. It has to be a TDA1541A as I need to synchronize the DEM clock's with BCK/16. In the octal D-I DAC I am using TDA1541A's as well, as can be seen on various previously posted photographs of the DAC modules.

Well, the imac is not the only one who's dead here, the Philips CMD304mk2 is dead now too :dead:

Last few weeks been busy with it: replaced the diodes for byv's, new lytics and some tantaliums, added kwak 7. Now the display does'nt light up, the radial arm goes to the outer limit and thats all what it does.
Very confusing, checked everything; voltages on regulators and on all connectors: all within parameters:cannotbe:

Modded & clocked before a CD640, but then with succes....