Building a Pearl 2

Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's the funny thing, I don't have a cartridge. I just bought a Technics SL 1200 of ebay. Also I have only two records (sold them all 20 years ago). I'm starting down a new/old path in this hobby.

Any sugestions for cartridge.? I was thinking about a Grado...any thoughts.

I cannot speak for the Technics table personally - I see AT440mLa recommended often as a good match. Other may have experience. I am very happy with Denon DL-110. $87 at Comet Supply.

I would recommend purchasing one of the Mobile Fidelity or Analog Productions releases as a reward, incentive on finishing the Pearl 2. :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Umm... The limiting factor is the B1/F5 combo. (Which really is the low gain of the F5...)

Yes, It will work, but the F5 will never see a signal big enough to drive it to full output. You may want to change the Feedback resistors in the F5 to give it a little more gain.

Change the (4) 100ohm 3W resistors in the middle of the board to 220 ohm 3W, this will decrease the loop feedback and increase the gain.

However, you might have enough power for you listening habits/speakers/room so try it stock first.

As to the DL-110/Pearl 2 combo? It's awesome... I should know, that's exactly what I have running at the moment. :)

Diffrent cap values for perial 2 Power supply

Hi just a quickie... for the Pearl 2 PSU I have two nice Kendel 22,000uf caps I want to use next to the transformer. (Not on the PCB! )--in fact this is double the value of the original suggested capacitors)- would this give the 30v output required? (or would the extra capacitance give to much voltage?) I know the LM voltage regulators are OK up to 40 volts so I live in hope:)

0r..Could I use a lower voltage transformer...... Or is this irrelevant and should I go back to bed:p?

cheers johnny

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The caps have nothing to do with the output voltage of the external PSU -- Kendel caps are really nice, you should use them. :)

Take the AC voltage of your transformer secondary and multiply by 1.4, then subtract 1 or 2 volts from that number. (for the diode losses) That will be the voltage of the unregulated PSU.

Anyway, if you have a 22V+22V or 24V+24V transformer you will be fine.

perial 2 replacement for ZVP3310A

Hi again sorry to bother, I was trying to get a pair of ZVP3310 (Q2) however the bloke in the shop said use 2SK369V (So I brought a pair cuz that all he had!!)

Now I have tried to run an equivalents check but after printing out and comparing spec sheet I am not really any the wiser:p

So

a. can I use a 2SK369V in stead of a ZVP3310?
and b. is there any point in replacing cap c13/c21 with a higher spec that the Elna slemic 2 (such as a paper in oil type of the same value)

cheers for that...bewildered as ever!!

johnny

optmiseing a perial 2 for a denon DL 103 with buffer and F5

Hi gents,

I have a bit of a dilemma here, I have an Salas buffer pre and a F5 Amp with Fostex horns so i have sensitive speakers but a pre amp with no gain,

I want to put a DL 103 low o/p cartridge (0.3mV?) with my pearl 2 , I am aware I can crank up the gain to about 65dB (R14 =300 ohms) and /or replace the short on R15 - however if i do this am i going to get caught with excessive noise through those sensitive fostex speakers (FE 206E@) 96dBM ) if i crank it up that much?---I cant afford a SUT just now so that's not an option:(

It sounds like a DL103 is the way to go sonically but is my pre/amp/speaker combo going to be noisy the pearl 2 so "gainey"...??

I have never heard a DL103 (OR 103A) i know people here use a D101L etc with better results due to its higher output....but I do think the DL 103 is the way to go on my budget,........... any ideas kind sirs?

Regards

Johnny

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Turning up the gain of the pearl 2 is not going to make any problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

Although if there was , you could increase the gain of the F5 --- replace the feedback resistors (R5-8) with 220ohm.

However, try it without and changes first, the sensitivity of the speakers may make up for any system gain issues you have.

Last edited: