Build This MoFo!

Think I did something "crazy". Ordered a pair of chokes at the local "transformer pusher". I asked what was possible below 25 kg (50 mH, 3A DC, 20 kHz). I got these options:

Type str. EI 120/60 50mH, 50 mOhm weight 5,5 Kg
Type str. EI 150/50 50mH, 30 mOhm weight 7,7 Kg
Type str. EI 180/60 50mH, 16 mOhm weight 14 Kg
Type str. EI 180/92 50mH, 8 mOhm weight 20 Kg

Just for my technical interest I asked what the weight would be for a 1 mOhm choke. 40 kg and price just below $1000 each (incl Danish tax). That would be the ultimate MoFo choke. I think not many chokes of this size exists in private homes.
The 20 mV DC I get (2.5A bias) with the 20 kg choke will probably not harm the performance of 15" woofer which handles frequencies below 180 Hz. But only 2-3 mV DC using the 40 kg choke is tempting.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
... 20 mV DC ...will probably not harm the performance of 15" woofer.....

A woofer is long-throw and should handle significant DC without de-centering enough to matter. (Anyway they are never centered perfectly as built.) If DC is much-much less than audio it should be fine. Assuming you can throw lots of 20V bass in, then 0.2V (200mV) of DC should be no-problem.

And as indra1 notes, Michael's elegant plan USES the "unavoidable" DCR as bias sense and stability. If you did aim for 20mV DC, then you need <<20mV stability/tracking of MOSFET and bias-supply voltages. I dunno if that is practical? Alternatively a servo to detect mV drift in the DCR and amplify it to the many-mV change needed at MOSFET Gate.

A woofer is long-throw and should handle significant DC without de-centering enough to matter. (Anyway they are never centered perfectly as built.) If DC is much-much less than audio it should be fine. Assuming you can throw lots of 20V bass in, then 0.2V (200mV) of DC should be no-problem.

And as indra1 notes, Michael's elegant plan USES the "unavoidable" DCR as bias sense and stability. If you did aim for 20mV DC, then you need <<20mV stability/tracking of MOSFET and bias-supply voltages. I dunno if that is practical? Alternatively a servo to detect mV drift in the DCR and amplify it to the many-mV change needed at MOSFET Gate.

I am going for the 20 kg chokes with 8 mOhm DCR. I can see if I can get a stable bias. If not I always will have the possibility to insert a serie resistor? I understood some threads back that there was not a requirement for a specific amount of DCR. I will try it out and see how it goes…...at least I will learn something…...

Maybe a dc servo like the JLH headphone would do the trick. Just need to create a split supply of +/- 12Vdc from the 24Vdc to power the OPAM.

Attachments

• 88CE482F-E094-40B2-87BD-19C11DA7852B.gif
    88CE482F-E094-40B2-87BD-19C11DA7852B.gif
    255.9 KB · Views: 593

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So you move from a $100 choke toward a $500-$1000 choke, "for low DCR", then a dollar resistor to UN-DO several hundred dollars of added investment?

Michael's original plan and component choices were, IMO, well-picked and balanced.

The JLH servo is not exactly right. (It aims for zero V out, you want to aim for a few mV of DC hidden in a rather large audio signal.) But it is indeed a TL072 and a few R and C job.

Yes, the primary goal was to avoid the output cap (DC < 50 mV). Så I move from a $100 choke to a $400 choke. Will try the circuit with only that one. If I get problems with bias stability I will insert a fine wire wound resistor from choke to mosfet but stilll take the output signal from the choke to have low DC at the output. Is that a good plan? ….I will not do the servo circuit. The MoFo should be simple. If everything fails I switch to the Hammond 193......and have then learned a lot…..I hope. I will use a big heatsink so mosfet will not be fried if bias run away and I will test using a lap supply with current limiter. It will also show the current so I can see what happens during warm-up.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
MEPER - All the DC bias is flowing through the choke. The Mosfet has to turn on, and this is a single-rail PSU, so the source will be operating at a DC voltage above ground.
How is having a choke with extremely low series resistance going to eliminate the DC at the output?

MEPER - All the DC bias is flowing through the choke. The Mosfet has to turn on, and this is a single-rail PSU, so the source will be operating at a DC voltage above ground.
How is having a choke with extremely low series resistance going to eliminate the DC at the output?
That question I have also asked myself.......but some threads back it seems one was using the MoFo without an output cap with about 0.2 V DC at the output. Using "my" choke with 8 mOhm RDC then with no input signal the DC will be 20 mV at 2.5A bias. Then if someone could draw how the voltage change at the source (relative to gnd) of the mosfet during a sinus period I may understand the circuit better. If DC raises to about V+/2 during AC operation......then of course I can't use the MoFo without an output cap.

MEPER with sympathy ..... look for a good cap ..... and spend for a good power supply.
on the supply the great quality of this amplifier is played a lot more.
using polypropylene caps in my experience has helped a lot to improve the performance.
The plan is to re-use the PSUs I made for the ACA which are two LCLC filter based PSUs. The voltage will drop a bit and will be about 20V for 2.5 A bias. Ripple will still be low.....about 1 mV.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, if the money is already spent, all is not lost as you will still likely see some linearity benefit. And, you can compensate somewhat by ensuring your heat sink is adequate, or better still, over-sized. Inserting a .47 (ish) ohm resistor at the Source of the MOSFET alters the output somewhat but is do-able if needed and I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

It's a rather extreme solution to eliminate the cap (which adds very little distortion in the first place) but extreme solutions to minuscule problems is what we do, right? :)