Build This MoFo!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
In case anyone cares, I tried out a couple other high gain preamps this past week on the MoFo. HagTech Clarinet tube preamp and a Mark Levinson clone (ML) with boards from Ebay. They are borrowed units.

Both sound good in their own way. I was a little surprised by the ML.
It did a lot of nice things. It has a great presentation of musical performances. Good amount of detail. The Clarinet had a rich tone, but weak in the bass. The BA3-Pre can do what they do and more.

After a week and a half of listening to the other preamps, the BA3-Pre was a bit of a revelation. Wasn't expecting the level of performance it provided.

Last Thursday I heard a pair of Avalon Isis speakers, EMM Labs digital, Basis TT and BAT mono-blocks. It was soul crushingly good. A real DIY morale killer. So, it was nice to hear some of those qualities in a modest system with the MoFo and BA3-Pre. :)

Well, if the money is already spent, all is not lost as you will still likely see some linearity benefit. And, you can compensate somewhat by ensuring your heat sink is adequate, or better still, over-sized. Inserting a .47 (ish) ohm resistor at the Source of the MOSFET alters the output somewhat but is do-able if needed and I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

It's a rather extreme solution to eliminate the cap (which adds very little distortion in the first place) but extreme solutions to minuscule problems is what we do, right? :)
Yes, that is part of the fun of DIY. I will learn from things going wrong. It is always fun to make things a little bit difference than standard. Is it your impression that an output cap can be avoided if a few mV DC at the output is accepted? ....during AC operation I will see negative voltage relative to ground at the source of the mosfet caused by the "kick back" of the choke? ......if not I am a bit lost on how an output cap can be avoided.....

The benefits of removing the cap is not worth the risk to the speakers, in my opinion. Also, properly sized output coupling caps add essentially nothing to the signal. (As much as people will argue otherwise...)
I must admit that the E-caps I used for the ACA worked very well. I was sure I would be able to here some kind of "carpet" between me and the sound. But it seems very transparent. But I do not know how it would sound without output caps......if this was possible (I know it is not in the ACA construction).
Regarding speaker protection my thought was that as long I have the big choke installed at the output then DC will not be a problem as the PSU has to be very strong to be able to generate a DC which would harm the speakers. But I don't know if the choke could generate high voltage spikes is something goes wrong. Then I should add a kind of high voltage protection over the choke so it can deliver its energy to such a device. The output cap would not like high voltage either........

It is a bit strange with this Cap discussion…..because in speaker crossovers many people swear (experienced audio people) that a bipolar E-cap in the signal for middle or tweeter would destroy the sound totally and the bipolar E-caps should only be used for some corrections of impedance. Also in tube amps people pay maybe $1000 for a V-Cap as coupling cap. Do you have the same relaxed relation to only using bipolar E-caps for speaker crossovers? …..the price difference may be 1:100 compared to using expensive film or foil capacitors. I know it is a bit "off topic" but an interesting "off topic" :)

The person who designed my speakers don't have same relaxed relation to E-caps in the signal path:
Alumen-Z-Cap

….so I followed his layout for the cross-over. It works…..but I don't know if I could hear the difference if I was more relaxed regarding which caps to use…..hope MoFo likes my speakers...…..and don't burn them…..

Attachments

• DSC_3572.jpg
    DSC_3572.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 702
Start? ….Get the PCBs from the DIY store (I did that) and then maybe read the MoFo article. There is a part list included.
Price......a rough guess…..400$ for two amps using SMPS......chokes and heatsinks are the most expensive parts. You can get a $100 heatsinks but also a lot cheaper. A preamp is needed that has some voltage swing.....

In case anyone cares, I tried out a couple other high gain preamps this past week on the MoFo. HagTech Clarinet tube preamp and a Mark Levinson clone (ML) with boards from Ebay. They are borrowed units.

Both sound good in their own way. I was a little surprised by the ML.
It did a lot of nice things. It has a great presentation of musical performances. Good amount of detail. The Clarinet had a rich tone, but weak in the bass. The BA3-Pre can do what they do and more.

After a week and a half of listening to the other preamps, the BA3-Pre was a bit of a revelation. Wasn't expecting the level of performance it provided.

Last Thursday I heard a pair of Avalon Isis speakers, EMM Labs digital, Basis TT and BAT mono-blocks. It was soul crushingly good. A real DIY morale killer. So, it was nice to hear some of those qualities in a modest system with the MoFo and BA3-Pre. :)

Great no feedback preamp for the MoFo! Thanks Vdi_nenna :up: