Build This MoFo!

Vunce, here are a couple of chassis photos, I have never gone this route before, usually bought from the Store.

Attachments

• mofo1.jpg
    mofo1.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 734
  • mofo2.jpg
    mofo2.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 715
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A lot of people love these SMPS power supplies and I suppose they vary quite widely in quality, but the few I've had were TERRIBLE and blew all kinds of noise back into the house AC mains as well as into the amp they were connected to.

I'm not interested in them any more...

Yes, I've had some really crappy ones too. You take your chances on surplus and bargain bin stuff. If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

The specific supply I referenced in the article is very quiet in this circuit. :)

Thanks Vunce. The heatsinks came from China, only 15usd each, the gotcha was the shipping. Total for both was about 100usd. The ones Michael used, I believe are about 65usd plus shipping, so some savings there. All sides will be wood. The bottom is 5/8" ply and the remaining sides will be stained 1/8" (3mm) ply. Per your suggestion of venting in the top, I am going with a brass screen inset from McMaster-Carr.

Eric, that is extruded aluminium stock that you can buy from a number of sources around the world. 8020, T-Slots, Parker, Bosch, FrameWorld, MainFrame, Maytec, T-Nutz.

I have used both 8020 and T-nutz on other projects. 8020 has an Ebay store with items a bit less than their regular prices. T-nutz is even less expensive with fewer choices, but they offer precut pieces.
The frame in my photos is all T-Nutz 12" pieces, except for the four vertical pieces which I cut from some 12" ones. All of the hardware came from T-Nutz and McMaster-Carr.

More photos to follow as move towards completion.
Thanks
David

Joined 2014
Paid Member
A lot of people love these SMPS power supplies and I suppose they vary quite widely in quality, but the few I've had were TERRIBLE and blew all kinds of noise back into the house AC mains as well as into the amp they were connected to.

I'm not interested in them any more...

Hi Eric,

I’m using these for my MoFo and they work very well, noise free :)

Regards,
Vunce

Mean Well# GS120A24-P1M.
Input: 100-240 Vac, 50/60 Hz, 1.4A.
Output: 24V, 5A, 120W max.
Table-top style switching supply, 6.50" x 2.60" x 1.38". 4' output cable with ferrite noise suppression bead and 2.5mm plug, center positive. Detachable 3-conductor power cord. CE, TUV, cULus.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Mike,

My point is very simple. I was mainly making a joke at my lack of knowledge.

I thought I bought a bad smps, because I don't know thedifference from a good one or bad one. Then, I realized the article's recommended smps is a Mean Well. I bought a Mean Well power supply too (a cage version). So, I might be in good shape as far as quality of smps go.

If I recall, the article mentioned the circuit naturally rejects PS noise anyway? Sounds good to me...

I'm honestly sorry that I don't get my point across well sometimes and causes people confusion and/or angst. :)

That's it; that's all. Nothing more. It's all good. :)

thanks,

Vince