Build This MoFo!

Vunce, here is a dry fit of the components. My plan is to drill some .5" holes around the north and south ends of the chokes. The top cover will feature a brass grill across the top for ventilation.

Attachments

• mofo3.jpg
    mofo3.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 865
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s a nice looking setup DrPro! Love the aluminum channel setup. What brand of extruded channels are those? I used to use Bosch Rexroth and found that they were nice because the distributor would make CAD drawings to my hand sketch then cut and deliver the whole thing with all angle brackets nuts and screws - pay only for materials. Only needed a wrench and screwdriver to assemble it as if it were a kit. Regarding the DC booster - nice to be able to dial in the voltage you want - in effect the PSU becomes a regulated supply. Useful for testing effects of Vcc dual abyield from say 18v to 28v? Assuming your heat removal is up to the task.

How are you coming along on the Aksa Lender pre for driving the MoFo?

Last edited:
X I am using the product from T-Nutz. There shortest precut length is 12" so that set my dimensions. The only cutting I did was for the corner pieces which are 9" tall. This company's product has been more affordable than some of the other choices out there. Only issue is a limited product line compared to 8020. The rubber feet I am using came from 8020.

For the MoFo do the DC boosters need to have a heatsink?

The AKSA pre is coming along also.

Thanks
David

I have finally gotten both channels up and running with no magic smoke. Playing a little Miles from a DAP, probably only 2v or so, volume low but sounds nice.
Question for those folks using the Hammond 193V in their builds. The internal resistance of mine measured 1.36 ohm, so figuring 2.5 amps for bias, I am showing a voltage across the inductors of about 3.5vdc.
Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
David

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have finally gotten both channels up and running with no magic smoke. Playing a little Miles from a DAP, probably only 2v or so, volume low but sounds nice.
Question for those folks using the Hammond 193V in their builds. The internal resistance of mine measured 1.36 ohm, so figuring 2.5 amps for bias, I am showing a voltage across the inductors of about 3.5vdc.
Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
David

Hi David,

Just wondering if you accounted for the resistance of the test leads?

Cheers,
Dennis

I didn't count for the lead resistance, Dennis.

So your 193Vs probably came out of the same batch I bought from Mouser. The heatsinks are just a nice hand warmer warm. However the cap MX little heatsink was quite toasty, so I have replaced them with something a bit larger, still hot but hopefully not in the dager zone.