Build This MoFo!

Vunce, here is a dry fit of the components. My plan is to drill some .5" holes around the north and south ends of the chokes. The top cover will feature a brass grill across the top for ventilation.

drpro, so you are running the commercial cap mx boards, and a DC boost converter for each channel? Is yours a big MoFo or the 19V version? Also, please enlighten as to the four caps located between the chokes (this would be my first use of a cap multiplier if I proceed, so I'm trying to make sure I understand).

:)

Closer now to the finish line. Initial wiring completed, back paneled drilled and mounted, awaiting painting, labels and final wiring to the various connectors.
Voltages throughout have been adjusted and bias is set for the 193V chokes.

Brian, cap MX and DC boosters from Ebay. Each pair of cap/resistor combos are to remove any of the noise that might make it though the power supply chain, which is a 24vdc 5amp Meanwell switched supply, DC booster, cap MX and finally the CRC combos. I take no credit for this approach, others have recommended this and XRK is the wizard of switched supplies and cap MX. Plus the DC boosters allow you to dial in the voltage you need. About 4usd each.

I am going the big MoFo thus the need for the bigger chokes and larger heat sinks.

David

Attachments

• mofo5.jpg
    mofo5.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 1,116
  • mofo6.jpg
    mofo6.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 708
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Looks great DrPro. The DC booster PCB can get hot at these currents - generally they are screwed to a metal surface as a heatsink. They PCB is metal for this reason. The metal board itself is insulated. If you have a metal panel somewhere - it would be good to bolt the dC boost to. If not at least add a local sheet of aluminum or other small local heatsink to it. Even a small heatsink from a computer GPU cooler stick on with white RTV silicone can work.

Thanks for the tip Vunce, cap MX much cooler, going to leave the larger sinks because I can!!
I hadn't noticed a major rise in heat on the DC boosters even after a couple of hours on. I have some thick aluminum plates I could attach to the bottom, if you think that would be enough X. If not I can mount them on edge and some sink material.
Thanks for all
David

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here you go, Vince. Have a speaker or dummy load connected when you're doing this. :)

Article text:
"Alternatively, you can insert a .1 ohm 3W resistor in series with the positive terminal of your PSU and measure the voltage there, e.g. .1 x 1.7 = .17 volts."

Attachments

• bias2.jpg
    bias2.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 651
Last edited: