Build This MoFo!

do you have protective zener for gate ?

it is shown in parts list but not on schematic ...... and I believe it's put on pcb for that exact purpose

in short - zener from 7V5 to 15V , cathode to gate , anode to source , will prevent gate to fly too far from source and cause BigBadaBooom

damn... didn't see that zener exist :D
it's all good now, i put the zener and everything is normal. :up:
thanks ZM :cheers:

anyway this zener does affect the sound, i like without it. :violin:
but no choice when using big transformer, must be installed.

What about a speaker protection?

[speaker protection]

Hi all.
I'm building a couple of Big MoFo. While a Bride of Zen is on the road, I'm actually using an old dual mono tube preamplifier as gain stage to perform some test and measure. I find the sound is great/marvelous//astonishing so I'm thinking about how to finalize it.

One of the item on the list is the speaker protection. I know that we already have a 6800uF output capacitance that should block any DC component to the speakers, but I feel more comfortable with a protection against "on/off bump" and so on.

Does anyone use such a protection or is it unuseful or even dangerous since it would let the [big]MoFo work without a load for (at least) some seconds?

Thanks in advance,
Claudio

Big MoFo and its ZENER

Hi all.
One more question is about the zener diode that's mentioned on the document.

I tried also searching on this thread but I didn't find a specific and CLEAR information. So:

1) where should this zener be placed exacly? Since I cannot find a schematic, it would be really nice to see one :)

2) in case of Big MoFo, should the zener be 20V/5W or something else?

3) most of all: does the zener impact audio performance? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,
Claudio

I’m currently collecting parts to build the MoFo and I wonder if it’s worthy to go for more high end chokes? I mean, is it audible when using for instance a Lundahl choke instead of the Hammond?

This is the measure I took on Sunday on my big MoFo, with the "cheap" Hammond 193V. I really don't think a more expensive choke is required. 😉

2k and 20k square waves on 8 ohm resistive load.

IMG_20200219_230122.jpg
IMG_20200221_225010.jpg