Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Interesting, I was always taught (perhaps incorrectly), that Neanderthals were made extinct by Cromagnon. (Thusz the genes are extinct also)

Being a Brit, I am also proud to have (however small) proportion of Norske genes... as well as Saxon, Norman...surprisingly in a recent TV documentary, it has been noted that the most prevalent, unexpected Genes throughout UK and EU is Iraqi (rather Mesopotamian) and they have survived in far higher proportion than so called Viking Gene's. (Something many red haired folks would refuse to believe)

But about Ice Skating, I always enjoyed Torville and Dean, as a child.

Witt, I barely recall.

The pairs/couples, always seem more.emotive to.me, than a solo skater.

Well, unless it's on a half pipe, and then Shawn White is fun to watch

Last edited:
I barely recall...in 1986 I was the spritely age of 6 :D

I think heavier chassis is a little unfair though...you mean she actually ate like a normal woman? And does not resemble a pre pubescent female?

More power to her!

I have deep sympathy for those, including myself, made to wear such awful 80s fashion though..

Last edited:
It's a fascinating old Lark, this Sports business.

My Mother was South-London roller skating Champion in about 1935. She did a good crawl in the pool too. My Dad was the best Football centre-half ever at Topsham F.C. around the same time. Offered professional terms by Bolton Wanderers. The money was rubbish, so he turned it down.

Sadly I inherited very few Sporting genes. All the physical co-ordination of Pinnochio. I am better at intellectual pursuits. :eek:

But I do like me Sport. It sorts of tests rubbish ideas against reality. You follow?

mondogenerator,
Are you really an Engli form northern Germany? your original posts come across as very xenophobic.You talk about 'brothers' but not sisters why?

I am a European and I still enjoy meeting nederlanders so I can keep my Dutch alive - if you don't use a language you lose it.

I well remember encouraging Hollanders to try rugby, the huge Freise Vikings would make great prop forwards.

And you havn't answered my question about just how many hours of the Para Olympics are shown on UK TV.

Sport should be conducted with strict rules, ruthlessly enforced. It is after all a form of combat without weapons, no one get's killed and the losers go home really pissed off. I was horrified to read a few years ago the the police in Rotterdam (where I used to live) had to open fire, shooting at the legs of rioting football supporters in the Singel ( a main road in Rotterdam).

When I lived there and there was a derbi between A'dam(Ajax) and Rotterdam (Feyenoord), each side would choose a champion and they would verbally abuse one another. Each speaking a dialect that certainly no buitenlander would understand a single word. I felt sorry for the loser they got a hard time form their own side BUT no violence.

When sport, any sport is played in the right spirit, then it becomes something that truly enriches our lives. That match in Brazil was something that any German or Brazilian can really be proud of. The Brazilians didn't resort to violence to stop the exhilarating runs of the Germans - it truly was the beautiful game - viva football.

I am interested in languages too.

Was fluent in German when I was 14. Lost it now.

Can still pass off in French, though lack vocabulary. My accent and rythym is OK. I know the difference between masculine 2 syllables and feminine 3.

Got quite good at Swedish (Svensk) but struggled with my Norsk accent.

English and Dutch aren't wildly different:

One rhyme that is sometimes used to demonstrate the palpable similarity between Frisian and English is "Bread, butter and green cheese is good English and good Fries", which sounds not very different from "Brea, bûter en griene tsiis is goed Ingelsk en goed Frysk".

FWIW, mondo must be a Brum. I like the midlands accent too. Always feel comfortable in it. :D

I once met a Bathonian in London. Not only did I spot she was from Bath, but I located her birthplace within half a mile. Twerton Park. It's unmistakeable. "Ello, my lover..."

Never been able to pass off here as "Pompey, Born and Bred". I always trip up somewhere.

Last edited:
How does me stating that many caucasian British have more Mesopotamian genealogy than viking, come across as xenophobic?

The Dutch are probably the nicest peoples I have met (exception being the awful response to the recent Italian woes)

I'm not biting to a trolls poor interpretation of the written word

I.e. it isnt xenophobic to refer to EU as our brother, but not sister :D

Personally I am not a fan of big team sport, football, rugby etc etc.

It's just a more civil replacement for combat, and warfare. That's about all that is wonderful about it, and many of the fans, are tribalisitic enough to treat it as actual warfare, and shame their home nations with foul behaviour.

Last edited:
I am interested in languages too.

Was fluent in German when I was 14. Lost it now.

Can still pass off in French, though lack vocabulary. My accent and rythym is OK. I know the difference between masculine 2 syllables and feminine 3.

Got quite good at Swedish (Svensk) but struggled with my Norsk accent.

English and Dutch aren't wildly different:

FWIW, mondo must be a Brum. I like the midlands accent too. Always feel comfortable in it. :D

I once met a Bathonian in London. Not only did I spot she was from Bath, but I located her birthplace within half a mile. Twerton Park. It's unmistakeable. "Ello, my lover..."

Never been able to pass off here as "Pompey, Born and Bred". I always trip up somewhere.

Steve...

I'm not a brummie.

Born in the Marie Rose hospital, and you know where that is? Right?

And live in the city of your favourite football team?

Alzheimer's? We spoke about it before :D

"Ello my lover?" Nowhere near Bath.

Try Tiverton, Devon

Fascinating stuff going on in the NFL:

2020 NFL League Standings

My second team, the extremely loveable and violent Baltmore Ravens are a game behind the Cleveland Browns. But we Ravens have the tie-breaker after beating the Brownies twice. And the second-best Net Points behind the Chiefs.

The Ravens should dispose of the Giants and the Bengals..

The Brownies will probably beat the Jets. But face the Steelers in the last game. They will lose, IMO.

All is not lost! :D

Endless fascination in the National Football League!

The Cleveland Brownies have lost their entire front 4 Receiving Corps to the awful Germ! :D

I really don't know how good the Brownies are at the running game, but they'll need it tonight against the usually hopeless NY Jets... ;)

2020 NFL Playoff Picture | NFL Playoffs | NFL.com

I always follow the money. Baltimore considered a better prospect than the Brownies:

https://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/super-bowl/winner

But I'm not betting on Superbowl this year. I always lose my shirt on it.

It's not often i get it right in the NFL.

But the unlucky Brownies fell flat on their backs 16-23 against the hopeless Jets! As predicted, I mean, if you lose your entire forward line to the Germ, you are doomed.

The horrible, violent but loveable Ravens won 27-13 against the Giants. :)

My second team, after the Vikes, the Ravens are up to 12-1!

https://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/super-bowl/winner