Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Black Stuart said:
For true sportsmanship - England v Portugal, semi-final 1966. There was only one intentional foul in the whole game. When the players came off most were crying, no one lost that day - football won. Yet in the previous round Portugal kicked Brazil brutally the whole game - couldn't have happened if the ref was doping his job.

If you wanted to show a visitor from somewhere else in the universe what football really is - World Cup, Germany v Brazil 2014 - never seen anything as positive, free flowing, utterly skillful. I doubt I'll ever see another game like that, a sheer joy to watch.

Small World. I am pretty sure I watched the Portugal game on telly. It was after a more brutal game against Argentina, IIRC. We liked Eusebio. My dad went to it. Brought home the programme which I studied avidly, like schoolboys do. I don't suppose Bobby Charlton or Bobby Moore ever got a booking. But Nobby Stiles and Jack Charlton did. That was their job. :D

7-1 to Germany was just amazing. Never seen faster football. The crowd were stunned!

Since you are French, I should mention that Zinedine Zidane and Thierry Henry might eventually make God's First 11 team too.

We should start a thread. Pick one Football player each! NO, forget the idea. It's impossible. :)

Last edited:
The long rally is the 2nd. set decider at 1:09:30 isn't it? 21-20 at that point.
I think so, yes.

If you're interested in some more brilliant Badminton, look at YouTube for An Se Young of Corea. In 2019, at only 17 years of age, she worked herself up the world ranking of womens' singles from 'nowhere' straight into the top 10. What a talent!

Best Badminton channel at YouTube, IMO, is 'BWF TV', official channel of Badminton World Federation. For An Se Young, especially see here for the French Open Final in 2019:

F | WS | Carolina MARIN (ESP) vs. AN Se Young (KOR) | BWF 2019 - YouTube

Enjoying this thread. Glad you are entering into the spirit of it. :D

I am more brains than brawn. All the physical co-ordination of Pinnochio.

But I do enjoy me Sport. It's educational, growth mindset, pit yourself against the best and lose miserably in my case.

My older brother was a talented and extremely quick cricket fast bowler. Liked using me for target practice in the back garden. Honestly if you could face one of his 90 mph fast balls, slow school cricket was nothing. Improved my game. Made second 11 even though I threw the ball like a girl. :eek:

Apparently there are two types of muscle. Fast and endurance. Decides what you might be good at. Temperament and guts come into it too.

Honestly if you could face one of his 90 mph fast balls, slow school cricket was nothing.
Great! My younger brother still insists in Snooker being a sport ... :D

Re. 90 mph: in mens' Badminton top matches 400 km/h shuttle speed is often broken. Under laboratory conditions, over 500 km/h have been reached. In my personal class at 60+ years of age, everything is a bit more relaxed ... ;)

Speed is not everything. Precision plays a part.

Ronnie O'Sullivan in Snooker is a true Sportsman. Maybe looks like not so physical, but much to admire.

If you have ever had an attempt at the Snooker game, The table is huge. Vast. Way beyond my ability.

Ronnie O'Sullivan makes a maximum break 147 in 6 min on first frame! - YouTube

Here in Portsmouth, we like Tai Chi. All about a slow pace and precision. It's not a big step to up the pace. And it seems to work.

Speed is not everything. Precision plays a part.
Absolutely - especially in Badminton!

In my age precision gets more important every day. For me it's essential to learn not to hunt for every single shot. Keeping my breath and being able to place my precision shots over the length of a match can be more important.

My coach likes to place a small sheet of paper in the target area to learn precision services, and I 'invented' a set top line for the net that can vary the space available for the shuttle to travel over the net between 10 cm (pro) and 30 cm (rookie) during service and return practice.

I love precision, and I adore speed! :Olympic:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Racing is always about who crosses the finish line first, wherever that line may be.

Ergo, the fastest car over a given distance and time, within a set of rules defined by a Formula. F1 is the top formula (not the best racing, just the most advanced from a pure engineering perspective).

You can likely imagine any sort of race in your head, and probably there's something exactly like that going on. If it moves, it's been raced. So yes, there are races run over 4, 6, 8, 12 and 24 hours for endurance - with fuelling limits and strict controls over driver stint length. It already exists, and it's extremely exciting racing, 24 hours of pell-mell action. The WEC is probably the best form of motor racing at this point in time (IMO).

Amplifiers, OTOH, are application specific. What works in one application will not work for another, just as an F1 car would be rubbish on a rally track or in an endurance race.

It's not the same thing.

Well, I do not know what the 'WEC' is ... and yes: every engineering construction, be it a race car or an amplifier, is application specific! While living not so far from the famous 'Nürburgring' track in Germany, I nonetheless hope that in a not so far future motor sports reduce their fuel consumption drastically, for the sake of the planet.

Small World. I am pretty sure I watched the Portugal game on telly. It was after a more brutal game against Argentina, IIRC. We liked Eusebio. My dad went to it. Brought home the programme which I studied avidly, like schoolboys do. I don't suppose Bobby Charlton or Bobby Moore ever got a booking. But Nobby Stiles and Jack Charlton did. That was their job. :D

7-1 to Germany was just amazing. Never seen faster football. The crowd were stunned!

Since you are French, I should mention that Zinedine Zidane and Thierry Henry might eventually make God's First 11 team too.

We should start a thread. Pick one Football player each! NO, forget the idea. It's impossible. :)

system 7 - not French, Scots on both sides of my family, enjoy living among fellow Celts - the Gallois.

"World Endurance Championship
"Though the WEC has only been in existence since 2012, the endurance style of racing in this championship has been going on, in one form or another, since the early 1900s. Endurance racing is less about speed and more about durability."
link

World Endurance Championship - in what? In another life I would love to compete in long distance running. The Japanese NHK channel shows lots of these events, it isn't only the body that has to be able to endure but the mind.

As an ex. long distance cycling nut - it isn't in the legs it's in the head. If you try to take on a long, long climb in your head you will defeat yourself quickly. You can only conquer this kind of ordeal in a succession of small victories, reaching the summit is a wonderful high.

I get really hacked off that no country seems to show much of the real Olympians - the Para Olympics.

That's not fair. The Para-Olympics are a big deal in a lot of Countries. Including the UK.

I have met all disabilities in my life.

Downs, Thalidomide and things even worse. I just count myself lucky to have 4 limbs and most of my senses. Can't say more at this stage. I admire courage.