Best electrolytic capacitors

Any evidence why my cable is poor? Despite the fact that I can run my cable in longer lengths without problems whereas some very costly audiophile cable failed miserably.

I don't have to provide any evidence, you are the one using a dubious (to put it mildly) USB cable in a system claimed to be able to discern between capacitors. Meantime, since you continue using this USB cable, your reports are not credible. Use your own advice and fix your system, we can then talk about capacitors sound.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If they used steel where you are from that would be a first to me. ...

Come over to my house. 10 miles of steel overhead wire back to the dam, and more back to the boiler generator. Out here in the rocky woods, everything is overhead and anything over 20KV is usually steel for strength (against tree-falls) rather than resistance.

Aside from observing the line along my street, I got to watch my neighbor run 1.4 miles of power line; 'private', but built to Company specs (because the land just might be divided someday and they would take-over the line). Plain 3/8" galvanized iron cable.

I do not see a problem because my amplifier has filter caps. When a class B audio amplifier loads a power source (battery, capacitor, alternator...) the line current is the rectified signal current. So distortion would be GROSS. Which is one reason we use filter caps on the DC side.

Probably said with "tongue in cheek " Bucks .

Way back in the mists of time ---okay the 1980,s ( or earlier ) JLH opened up several well known ( no names no pack-drill ) Polypropylene capacitors ,he found they were made with PACKING grade polypropylene.

Now I am sure some will say---wrong ! so for their information here is Lecturer Colin Hindle ( Edinburgh Napier University ) speaking on behalf of the British plastic industry on the DIFFERENT types of polypropylene -

Polypropylene (PP)

The power of advertising always amazes me even in my old age.

I opened up a Burmester preamp for €20.000 and found cheap Beyschlag resistors and cheap WIMA caps, the frontplate was made in Poland cos nobody in Germany would deliver such a bad and faulty quality (no offense here).

P.S.: Sound quality was sterile and totally unmusical.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Come over to my house. 10 miles of steel overhead wire back to the dam, and more back to the boiler generator. Out here in the rocky woods, everything is overhead and anything over 20KV is usually steel for strength (against tree-falls) rather than resistance.

Aside from observing the line along my street, I got to watch my neighbor run 1.4 miles of power line; 'private', but built to Company specs (because the land just might be divided someday and they would take-over the line). Plain 3/8" galvanized iron cable.

I do not see a problem because my amplifier has filter caps. When a class B audio amplifier loads a power source (battery, capacitor, alternator...) the line current is the rectified signal current. So distortion would be GROSS. Which is one reason we use filter caps on the DC side.

Here overhead cables are steel for strength combined with copper for conductivity (midvoltage guy here so kV it is).

Normal midvoltage cables contain no steel:

Middenspanningskabel tot en met 30kV | Nedkab

This is why our washing machines and AC's sound better than yours ;)

Last edited:
:superman:
...It is impossible to hear differences (objectively speaking, since human beings do not have auditory memory, it is a fact) exchanging capacitors in different systems, wherever it is, in the crossover network, in the path of the amplifier signal, etc. Wherever you want to make comparisons, just changing capacitors will take time for you to not be able to make a real comparison.
OMG, i am not a human being :yikes: : I rather easily hear differences exchanging capacitors...and have auditory memory :superman:.

Last edited:
Here overhead cables are steel for strength combined with copper for conductivity (midvoltage guy here so kV it is).

Not only that, our old European washing machines are equipped with Siemens MKV caps - they sound better than Soviet Teflon and US caps but shhhhhhh...

Seriously, they do sound real good.

My washing machine sounds best : Proof is i can't hear it from my living room.

I take an ELMA switch and solder the caps (or resistors) on the inputs so I can change in a second (crossovers, PSU, signal etc.). I write down what I hear, sometimes my wife changes the inputs so I can make a blindtest. But best is to listen to one component over a long period of time with different music.

It is not easy to describe sounds in words, for example:

" bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive. "

Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary Glossary: B-C | Stereophile.com

Frankly Altec never thought about long life as how long.
I have an Aksa 100 playing now which was build almost 20 yrs ago
& its still playing well & mind you its build with boutique caps which isn't
long life to begin with.
In the past quality and longevity was obvious. We all know a washing machine, a computer or amplifier... that lasts until now. We also heard about planned obsolescence. Not sure it's a bad advice,

Technically there is nothing new since decades. There have been high precision measurements of nonlinear distortion along caps that show real differences among different technologies. But if you put the numbers into context you will find that within a correct design the contributions to THD are ridiculously small.
Brands open manufactures all over the world; production process change with machines. How this changes affect final products ? About measures, is distortion analysis the ultimate parameter to caracterize caps ?

For coupling caps upto 4.7uF any film cap will do, there are some nice red Wimas on the market.
Using polypro caps is obviouly a good idea for new developments, but when space is limited electolytics keep their interest.

Calling for "opinions" will not help you anyway.
naming as opinion is already a judgment. I call for "experiences" in order to forge my own knowledge. I learned in the past with J Hiraga that hear can be formed like taste with wine.:drink: