Best electrolytic capacitors

It strongly depends on:
What speakers you have....

How do you like your musical presentation...

IMHO, if you are enjoying so many different musical styles (like me) I would put only Nichicon KZ, FG or FW in the signal path. If too hot in the upper mids and highs put a Silmic II or Nichicon VZ in parallel. If you really want strong body and bass and smooth upper midrange take Silmic II or Nichicon VZ instead.

You can combine with these caps and find out whats best for you.

My preamp:
-> opamp gain stage -> volume pot -> opamp buffer stage -> power amp

gain stage: Silmic II decoupling and Silmic II on siganl path
after volume pot: Jantzen Superior cap
buffer stage: Nichicon KZ on signal and decoupling

I use Silmics in the gain stage cos I want to use high resolution opamps like OPA1612, the resolution is outrageous so I want to tame it down a bit.

I use KZ on buffer stage cos I want the buffer as neutral as possible so I can hear the differences of the gain opamps better.
Thanks for this complete answer. :worship:

Can I hear differences ? Is this worth the money ? The idea is to experiment without biases, using some elementaries circuits on well known system (altec atlantic, cabasse 311).

I envisage drawing some benches pcb (line amplifier, filter,...). At all I have amplifier with a final 4700uF.

I will take avantage of also testing opamps (may I leave my beloved 5534 ? :p).

@altec9440: Don't feed the troll. His life must be really sad, he is only attacking other people and nothing else.

Well, maybe he is right: All the sound engineers from major labels such Mercury, RCA, Telefunken, DG, Sony, Decca etc. are total idiots and he knows it better... :faint:

I don't think all those sound engineers are using substandard (at best) USB cables like yourself.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Your knowledge about professional audio recording is factual zero. Please go to a pro recording studio ...

I have been paid to record audio. Am I a "professional"? I dunno.

I do know that pro audio is a lot about clients who bite. This guy is my professional hero:
Leo_the_MGM_lion_1928.jpg

Attachments

• Leo_the_MGM_lion_1928.jpg
    Leo_the_MGM_lion_1928.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 265
Thanks for this complete answer. :worship:

Can I hear differences ? Is this worth the money ? The idea is to experiment without biases, using some elementaries circuits on well known system (altec atlantic, cabasse 311).

I envisage drawing some benches pcb (line amplifier, filter,...). At all I have amplifier with a final 4700uF.

I will take avantage of also testing opamps (may I leave my beloved 5534 ? :p).

The NE5534 is from medieval times. It's not a bad opamp, but seriously do yourself a favor and put a OPA2228 instead and wonder...

Is the Altec fullrange? Cos with fullrangers you will hear the differences very good. For many fullrange fans carbon resistors and PIO caps are life savers. My Dayton PS-220 8inch fullrangers did sound best with Siemens MKV oil caps desoldered from old german washing machines. The Silmics in the PSU helped also quiet a bit to get warmer mids and more textures.

Last edited:
The NE5534 is from medieval times. It's not a bad opamp, but seriously do yourself a favor and put a OPA2228 instead and wonder...

You probably mean the OPA228.

My Dayton PS-220 8inch fullrangers did sound best with Siemens MKV oil caps

Hmm. Thought your fondness for the Silmic 2 was a bit of a fluke, but once you add the MKV... that champion of dullness and wrong tonality... seems we don't share the same tastes after all.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Low voltage caps:

Epcos: Bloated bass, slow, muddy.
BHC (not slit-foil): Even more bloated bass, recessed mids & highs. Soundstage is fuzzy.
Elna Cerafine: Too bright. Light bass & body. Fast & good transient attack.
Rubycon ZL & ZA: Sterile, bright, no bass & body, agressive upper mids, unbearable.
Panasonic FM/FR/FC: Bloated upper bass, low bass undefined. Fuzzy mids, unclear highs. Soundstage fuzzy & blurry. Instrument location gets lost. Soft warm overall sound. Still better than most normal caps. Overall it sounds somewhat distorted.
Slimic I (not II): Bloated bass & upper bass. Recessed mids & highs. Uneven, dark no details, no space. Diminished soundstage.
Silmic II: More upper bass than others but very rhythmic and involving. Best dynamics of all. Slightly recessed mids. Clear clean highs. Good stage and space.
KZ: Most open mids, very detailed highs, extreme low bass but still articulate. Very neutral at all.
FG: Similar to KZ, mids a nuance worse, body a nuance less. Smaller in size and less cost than KZ makes this a superb upgrade.
FW: Very similar to FG but a nuance worse overall. Still a super upgrade.
VX: Clean clear slightly dry & open sound.
VZ: Tube like, smooth and warm.
BlackGate F: Upfront sound, slightly aggressive. Dramatic loss of stage depth - philharmonic orchestra pressed in 1m depth! Good bass & body. Aggressive highs. Excellent dynamics.
Elna BiPolar: Similar to Silmic II but more open and clearer mids.
Nichicon ES BiPolar: Notes are not played to the end, at very low level they just stop. This means also that the decay and ambience info is recessed very clearly. Little space and depth detail. Voices do sound good and clear. Slightly recessed bass. Lacks some slam. Sounds like an old design cos the shortcomings are typical for vintage caps.

Is this an inside joke?:D If not? I'm going to file it under Fiction: Codswallop.

Psychological memory is an exclusive property of human consciousness, without it mental representation and making categorical judgments would not be possible. Making judgments requires the presence of an antecedent condition to be compared to an object of intellect. A poor ability to make subjective evaluations in conjunction with a poor systematic ability to reproduce nuances puts you in the favorable position to opt for the cheapest and the most efficient solutions.

Logic cannot treat qualities. Qualities are not analyzable.

The NE5534 is from medieval times. It's not a bad opamp, but seriously do yourself a favor and put a OPA228 instead and wonder...

Is the Altec fullrange? Cos with fullrangers you will hear the differences very good. For many fullrange fans carbon resistors and PIO caps are life savers. My Dayton PS-220 8inch fullrangers did sound best with Siemens MKV oil caps desoldered from old german washing machines. The Silmics in the PSU helped also quiet a bit to get warmer mids and more textures.
Altec Atlantic have a simple 6uF filter. May be worth to test with PIO or Polypro cap...

Thanks to point my medieval age :D. NE or to be precise SA5534A version is old but, if I keep some in my drawers, I'm open to new references. OPA228 ? Reading back this thread, I notice that TI are you prefered devices :hbeat: ;)

With next curfew at 21H, I will have time to experiments until jan14 new year ! I will add caps and opamps to my christmas list :santa2:

Last edited: