Beast with 1000 JFETs redux?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have one of these for when things get “non-standard”. Works a treat.

Attachments

• 9EEF9E78-BA08-4B2C-9668-7F05A3DC8473.jpg
    9EEF9E78-BA08-4B2C-9668-7F05A3DC8473.jpg
    681.4 KB · Views: 373
With a 220k resistor from input to ground, the output offset is either large negative or large positive and not the same every time the PCB is turned on.

The offset problem turned out to be a input resistor problem. With a 1k input resistor, no more wandering output offset

35 complete cells populated. 2 cells 1/2 populated. 560 mA idle current. output offset 13mV.

Progress is happening.

48 cells populated. Idle current 730 ma. Output offset voltage single digit millivolts.

Building one cell at a time is instructive. I check output offset and choose the next pair to move the offset closer to zero volts.

If I fully populate this PCB, it should end up around 1.2A. I plan to stop as close to 1A as possible.

Attachments

• 48_cells_populated.jpg
    48_cells_populated.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 333
What are your thoughts on going single ended? N-JFETs here are half the price of P-ones. If going with 100 fets, could one compensate differences in individual fets with source resistor of certain value, if very close matching is not desired?

I have a single ended version PCB in-hand. Look back in the thread for the single ended version.

You can use all N JFETs or all P JFETs. I will not be building it until I have the complementary version complete.

Yes you can change the source resistors to make every JFET Idss exactly some value. ...or... you can treat them as a group and match the group.

I have a single ended version PCB in-hand. Look back in the thread for the single ended version.

You can use all N JFETs or all P JFETs. I will not be building it until I have the complementary version complete.

Yes you can change the source resistors to make every JFET Idss exactly some value. ...or... you can treat them as a group and match the group.

Ok, thanks. Thing that appeals me in this project is actually cost - I find heatsinks the least available part, this looks like a great alternative to try out.

Ok, thanks. Thing that appeals me in this project is actually cost - I find heatsinks the least available part, this looks like a great alternative to try out.

Yes agreed. In addition, this project creates a pair of complementary power JFET amplifier. You cannot buy complementary power JFETs. JFETs are more linear than MOSFETs.

Weight and cost are also advantages compared to a class A DIY MOSFET amp.

66 1/2 cell populated. 1A idle current. Less than 10mV output offset.

Connected signal generator and oscilloscope. My sig gen cannot drive this beast. The sig gen runs out of current on the negative going 1/2 of the sine wave at maximum voltage of the sig gen.

This beast will require a low impedance buffer if your preamp does not have a low output impedance.

Attachments

• 66_cells_populated.jpg
    66_cells_populated.jpg
    774.8 KB · Views: 410