Back-EMF and flat impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wow. the point was made regarding improvement in sound. arguing something like this is about like arguing for the old 8-track medium. it worked. the cartridges jammed a lot. but hey, SD, mp3 files, etc. are 'better' than 8-track. but there are those that can't hear HF & ambience, so the 8-track is fine with them.

for the 'old farts' in the group - tastes great. less filling.

one things for sure, the "old farts" are always stubborn and grumpy

Wow, the "amplifiers all sound different" argument. I thought that had been relegated to the dustbin of insignificant.

In virtually all tests done blind no differences are noted. In non-blind tests (done by a leading audio rag) listeners heard differences when there were none.

If you can measure differences in your amps depending on load, then one or more of them needs to be fixed, because this should not happen. Solution: Buy better amps.

Beyond the Ariel

So what amp are you using that is perfect? I ask because I have never experienced an amp that works the same as spec shows under real speaker loads, regardless of price.
I am sure that if I did an internal design review on most audio products like I normally have done on projects I have worked on, most of designs would be lacking of data to ensure optimum design.

Last edited:
The real issue when selecting amps is that they are publish specs that are insufficient to determine performance under realistic loading conditions. Speaker manufactures seldom publish impedance curve specs as well. You would think with advancement in technology would allow them to do better in this aspect.

is the guy who claims all amps sound different auditioning them on the same pair of speakers?
could it be possible that differences heard are in fact the amp's reaction to the load?

i remember the introduction of the Carver PM 1.5 great amp, physically lighter than other amps of the same wattage, a godsend to the pro audio/PA scene because of this, pound direct radiator speakers all day long no problem, that is until you tried running a horn loaded system with them, and they were none to happy with high order passive x-over's either.

or avoid loudspeakers that present a reactive load to the amp...

or as Joe is trying to do, make the relationship better.

Not a solution, crossover distortion is there in any case (in a poorly designed amplifier) the shunt loads only make it worse. The reactive "bad current" is only a smokescreen due to lack of understanding of what is going on.

Last edited:
...To model a simplified impedance of a loudspeaker unit, a few parts suffice to do that.
Please see post 150066
As per the diagram in post 150066, in deriving the feedback signal for motional feedback using a Wheatstone Bridge, R1 and L2 are balanced out by the bridge and therefore R2, L1, and C1 become the impetus for the feedback signal.

Of course, in Lojzek's simplified electrical analogy R2, L1, and C2 are values representing the speaker resonance (or free air resonance of the driver before mounting). But more generally, they represent the elements that model the motion of the cone... which is how you get feedback which includes, at long last, the speaker and the room environment in so far as it influences the speaker.

B.

Last edited:

Attachments

• complete-speaker-equivalent-circuit.jpg
    complete-speaker-equivalent-circuit.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 229
  • simpliefied-speaker-equivalent-circuit.jpg
    simpliefied-speaker-equivalent-circuit.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
i forgot to mention MP3's are the 8 track's of the digital world (and any audio via Bluetooth).

Thanks for the clarification, :) I was already remembering the 8 tracks of the vintage magazine, which by the way, far surpassed the cassette created by Phillips & Sony, only it was not so small and could not be recorded. But if the electronic engineering of the moment managed to extract sonic wonders from that small tape cassette of 2.81 mm wide, I would have achieved the same without so much cost in electronics and mechanics only with double the tape width and more speed of translation.
As an example, the cheaper open-tape Akai recorder greatly exceeded the most elaborate cassette in sound quality.
Akai 4000 vs Akai GXC570 (add DB to both acronyms if you liked the Dolby system)
It all started with portability and ended up being a disproportion, IMHO...

8-track tape - Wikipedia

Cassette tape - Wikipedia

Sorry for the off topic, it's just for illustration of the very initiated in audio...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.