B1 with Korg Triode

The cd at that time was quite the limiting factor, good ones is quite expensive .to buy and upkeep.even 2nd . Wadia .meridean , then esoteric, McIntosh marantz ..to name quite a few
Cd is quite new .16bit era .then 24 then sacd

Now with digital playback like flac dsd ..the playing field between high end and mid end narrows down quite a bit ..it's not so stalking different now and you can get very decent entry into high end around 1200bucks for the front end

That you hear is off a Maverick dac ..playing over an Android TV ...flac copied from me ..i don't think I can even dream smell that kind of quality during 90s early 2000. At around at 1000usd below total investment .2nd hand if course what's now Max 128k 384hz I don't keep track ..gfa 555a wasn't even considered hi end when I first got it in 90s.threshold /mark Levinson /krell/mcintosh was kind of the go to high end at that time , adcom gfa 555 was older ...and I own threshold sa150 later which was better ..so on and so forth.

Even compared to the new stuff's around ...it still hold its own legendary status ...pure bipolar ..ancient lol.its not even class a. It's not even recapped . If touch wood offset ..the speaker probably goes with it .huge thump turning it on off

New stuff have more 'detail' better staging resolution .clarity , but the amp ..still stood the test of time ...hold its own legendary status till today standard of format

Last edited:
Now that is a solid.
Wish the worlds economy were built on kindness, selflessness and perhaps a fondness for good music and wanting to share.

YouTube

Not related to Korg but this is 5687 preamp I build for a poor dude . Bed ridden

And the amplifier adcom gfa 555a ... That's why I love papa amp , can't believe old stuff's still sound so f'ing great even by today's standard .

Now that is a solid.
Wish the worlds economy were built on kindness, selflessness and perhaps a fondness for good music and wanting to share.

Yes and thank you , that poor chap fell down from the bike, people tried to help and did not support his neck and snap. It's his only pass time, his a cousin of my friend so he approach us.. But there was out of pcb for the project so I assisted. Built the box out of blank pcb he bought most parts . So just a small effort on my part.. He is one tough customer.. Very good ears and blunt with his reviews, but lucky it turn out well. We joked to him. U lucky crippled son of a xxx. Truth is his project turn out better than all of us.. Even mine with duelund, black gates.. {the most expensive one out of all}
So it's not really how expensive...and I just do it from BOM nowadays.. Safe play..

It is looking like my Korg B1 Build is to be completed by another builder, as the individual who kindly offered to help, is inundated with work, of which some is a itinerant role, so with not being at home regularly, is finding it difficult to fit all the tasks on his plate in.

The parts are to be returned and will then be passed on to a builder who is more local to my home, and has three versions of Korg B1 builds produced to date, as well as being a mentor for two other individuals Korg B1 builds.

The discussions that have been had so far is about the main PCB and my Cap' options.
Elna Silmic are already purchased and immediately available to be used, these are also in another individuals build, so a comparison can be carried out if I choose another Cap'.
One build also has Blackgate's used, which is to my mind the most impressive model I have heard so far.
I am leaning toward a PPP Cap', not because I believe it is a improvement,
but mainly to have another Cap' in a build, to use for comparison purposes within the group of builds available.

The Power Supply is already designed, and I would not want to deviate from it as a recommendation, as it is seen a GVFM design.

The next stage is where I am stumbling, initially, I am intending on using my already owned Dual Mono Slagle AVC as a Volume Control.
I have heard a similar set up with a Prometheus TVC as the Volume Control.

There will be another individuals TOCOS Pot' Dual Mono that can be used as a comparison, against the two models above.

I am leaning towards having a Muses Dual Mono design produced,
to try and grasp the full potential of this type of Volume Control, when used on a Korg B1.
I stumbled on these as a design a few years ago, and have been intrigued by the devices on offer.
I have discussed with 'Academy Audio Inc' my intentions, and they have informed me of the devices they supply that I can use.
Any thoughts shared on the Muses as a Volume Control, and my options for using Muses on the Korg B1 will be much appreciated ?

I have experienced two separate basic builds of the Korg B1 in my system, and on each occasion they have during a relatively short play time,
outshone my very capable Slagle AVC.

With this in mind, I am eager to have my Korg B1 produced, to allow for a much more extended listening experience to be put into place.

Last edited:
It is looking like my Korg B1 Build is to be completed by another builder, as the individual who kindly offered to help, is inundated with work, of which some is a itinerant role, so with not being at home regularly, is finding it difficult to fit all the tasks on his plate in.

The parts are to be returned and will then be passed on to a builder who is more local to my home, and has three versions of Korg B1 builds produced to date, as well as being a mentor for two other individuals Korg B1 builds.

The discussions that have been had so far is about the main PCB and my Cap' options.
Elna Silmic are already purchased and immediately available to be used, these are also in another individuals build, so a comparison can be carried out if I choose another Cap'.
One build also has Blackgate's used, which is to my mind the most impressive model I have heard so far.
I am leaning toward a PPP Cap', not because I believe it is a improvement,
but mainly to have another Cap' in a build, to use for comparison purposes within the group of builds available.

The Power Supply is already designed, and I would not want to deviate from it as a recommendation, as it is seen a GVFM design.

The next stage is where I am stumbling, initially, I am intending on using my already owned Dual Mono Slagle AVC as a Volume Control.
I have heard a similar set up with a Prometheus TVC as the Volume Control.

There will be another individuals TOCOS Pot' Dual Mono that can be used as a comparison, against the two models above.

I am leaning towards having a Muses Dual Mono design produced,
to try and grasp the full potential of this type of Volume Control, when used on a Korg B1.
I stumbled on these as a design a few years ago, and have been intrigued by the devices on offer.
I have discussed with 'Academy Audio Inc' my intentions, and they have informed me of the devices I can use.
Any thoughts shared on the Muses as a Volume Control, and my options for a Muses on the Korg B1 will be much appreciated ?

I have experienced two separate basic builds of the Korg B1 in my system, and on each occasion they have during a relatively short play time,
outshone my very capable Slagle AVC.

With this in mind, I am eager to have my Korg B1 produced, to allow for a much more extended listening experience to be put into place.

Muses requires a bipolar supply. Which means you will need a separate supply from the B1 Korg since it is a single rail supply. And why do you need dual mono controls with Muses? It has a balance function.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I recently finished my F5 and am working on the front end now.
I'm building an AMB α10 preamp because I'd like remote controlled input/output switching and volume control.
Since my DAC has low output (about 1.3V), I was planning on setting the α10 gain to 2x or 3x in order to drive the F5 properly.

Besides that, I had already purchased this B1 Korg kit and would like to try it out.
The above was assuming the B1 Korg is not used..(I know.... too many projects right?)
If I would want to use the B1 with the F5, since it has ~15db gain, it sounds like it would make sense to set the α10 to 1x gain, and put the B1 between the α10 output and the F5 (which would be after input signal attenuation).
Does that make any sense?

Just build the b1 korg with a volume pot and single rca. Use a cardboard box if you need to. See which one you like better. Then decide.

Running the amb at unity gain before the korg is an option. It will work, but it’s not a great solution.

If you like the b1 korg better (which you probably will) build it in an appropriate chassis with switching and the volume controls you want.

Muses requires a bipolar supply. Which means you will need a separate supply from the B1 Korg since it is a single rail supply. And why do you need dual mono controls with Muses? It has a balance function.

I have a history of using a Dual Mono Volume Control, as well as my
Mono Blocks having a built in Balance Pot', which has served at times as a
Dual Mono Volume Control, when a Pre amp is not in the system.

With the recent Korg B1 Builds I have had a hands on experience with, they have had Dual Volume Controls, I'm not sure if it is correct to refer to them as Dual Mono.
I was considering the Muses to replicate the above, and offer me a usage that I have become familiar with.
As I have stated, I am dependent on a EE Skilled person to do my build, so my enquiries are not from a EE mind set, but a desire to extend the experience of the type of builds that can be produced with a Korg B1.

For me, in my mind, my ideal build to be produced would be a Mono Channel Korg B1, for each Mono Block.
This may become a available option as the builds and designs evolve

In the mean time, I am all ears for proposals and shared thoughts on my ideas.

Itsikhefez, I fear the B1 Korg is not a solution for you in this set up. Stacking preamps has a limit and on the other side you may find the B1 Korg is at its best with outputs below 2V (less distorsion probably), so not the voltage/volume gain you were hoping for.

JohnnoG, I'd love to see a clever and non expensive MUSE ilplementation as simple volume control, to check its sonic virtues... keep us posted

Claude

Reactions: 1 user
6L6, Hikari1, ClaudeG, thanks for the input.
I'll go ahead and build the B1 Korg as a standalone preamp and try it out that way.... I'll leave the one that works best in the system and keep the other for the future....
You can't have too many preamps right ? :)

It would be interesting to see how you implement remote on the B1, let us know.

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
I would be interesting to see how you implement remote on the B1, let us know.

There are a few options... You can use an Alps motorised pot with a control board like this

A friend from Russia helped me buy a remote-controlled, relay-based input switch and volume control kit, similar to this Tentlabs one.
I'll try to integrate that with the B1.

x= divorce-1

Isn't that the formula for speakers? ;)

Plate 21v, 85k,Grid 2v

The Budget Picoscope is definitely enjoyable for a nutube addict..

Attachments

• 2DB34A07-05DA-416A-9126-A1CAA757961B.jpg
    2DB34A07-05DA-416A-9126-A1CAA757961B.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 650
  • 5FCD97D2-509B-4F8C-9A4F-20E3EB33F7AE.jpeg
    5FCD97D2-509B-4F8C-9A4F-20E3EB33F7AE.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
I am going to use a σ11 as well.... it's probably overkill but don't see why it wouldn't work great with the B1.
Based on the documentation, the board only requires about 60mA, but the extra headroom of the 500mA "stock" PSU is good for the initial charging of the filter caps.
The σ11 can go up to 8A (depending on the transformer and heatsinks) so definitely up to the task.

Thanks for the feedback .

In fact I am planning to use my B1 in a high end audio system and I don’t want to use a switching psu as those psu often send noise to the ac line .

I agree that the sigma 11 seems overboard in term of amp needed for the B1 only 60ma .
But this psu has excellent noise and ripple values , which is a good thing for a preamp.

The other good choice may be a battery psu , but that is often a pain to maintain it charged .