Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I have both. Hard to tell a difference. My gut tells me amanero sounds slightly better than rpi4 but I haven’t done any extensive testing and swapping power supplies. Many say Ethernet sounds better than Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi should be turned off / use shielding etc. which I haven’t done.
thaanks, im kinda curious if it would be worth it to build a pure DDC from (mostly) ian canada parts, atleast i think it will be cheaper to make just a ddc, fewer parts and power supplys needed than some of the awesome builds here i cant afford :D

RPi GPIO can output true 16bit format, but the USB will always convert the true 16bit into 32bit format. That's the main difference.
hmm i dont worry that much about the bit format, but a raspberry pi definitely sounds different to a x86 machine, so im kinda curious how a usb module compares

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-...24-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb-type-c.html
are these combatible with the BridgePi?

I have tested the FiFoPi with as input a WaveIO and RPI3B with their I2S outputs. So both are being lead through the FiFoPi. Wit an IR-remote selector switch at the DAC (my DDDAC1794 with Andrea Clocks), so real A-B comparison on the fly as Roon was feeding both simultaneously with the same music tracks. The difference was very, very small. I could certainly not recognize it with unplugging and reconnecting kind of comparison. If at all, The RPI had my preference, but both were definitively at par. For me meaning FiFoPi does the job pretty well...

I also us my RPI as Roon endpoint with WiFi, so I can keep the ethernet ground away from my Audio Equipment and as clean as I can. With Ethernet cable I have less black background. I know this contradict what "others" experience, but hey, this is at my home, so may be my ground at the Ethernet network is very dirty? Who can tell. I will stick with WiFi. To make sure the WiFi works well I added an external Antenna at the RPI and the WiFi Airport is 1 meter behind my Audio gear. Up to 384kHz FS no problem, never hick ups dropouts. May be add that I do not stack RPI and FiFoPi. All boards are sitting next to each other, as the I2S signals are going through the selector board.

Reactions: 1 user
I also us my RPI as Roon endpoint with WiFi, so I can keep the ethernet ground away from my Audio Equipment and as clean as I can. With Ethernet cable I have less black background. I know this contradict what "others" experience, but hey, this is at my home, so may be my ground at the Ethernet network is very dirty? Who can tell. I will stick with WiFi. To make sure the WiFi works well I added an external Antenna at the RPI and the WiFi Airport is 1 meter behind my Audio gear. Up to 384kHz FS no problem, never hick ups dropouts. May be add that I do not stack RPI and FiFoPi. All boards are sitting next to each other, as the I2S signals are going through the selector board.
oh i also thought im the only one using wifi :D ... i agree with you, my expierence is:
wlan on the raspberry pi itself is bad! you want to use a wlan stick with probably a extension usb cord, also what wlan stick is used matters, i had good results with the fritz.box wlan stick, compared to "stock" ethernet the wlan setup is definitely better

i think why there are differences (or one of the reasons) between wlan and ethernet is that each (and different wlan sticks too) add different kind of noise to the raspberry pi, a wlan stick can be worse than ethernet but also better
what in the end is better? not sure but a cheap wlan stick beats "stock" ethernet and you have full isolation...

a usb isolator before the wlan stick probably helps too! (but i havent tried this yet)

I have tested the FiFoPi with as input a WaveIO and RPI3B with their I2S outputs. So both are being lead through the FiFoPi. Wit an IR-remote selector switch at the DAC (my DDDAC1794 with Andrea Clocks), so real A-B comparison on the fly as Roon was feeding both simultaneously with the same music tracks. The difference was very, very small. I could certainly not recognize it with unplugging and reconnecting kind of comparison. If at all, The RPI had my preference, but both were definitively at par. For me meaning FiFoPi does the job pretty well...
thanks, i had to look up what WaveIO is, what made you going with this usb to i2s board?

i will try today to use the raspberry pi with arch just as usb gadget, so i can connect it to my pc basicly the same as with the usb to i2s board to see what difference this makes

Hello,
I removed the 2 clocks from a Fifopi Q7 and put an Accusilicon AS318-B-903168 clock instead (without the OE pin).
When I try to play a 44.1 kHz PCM file, there is no sound.
I am attaching a photo of the leds.
Any idea ?

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 117
Sorry of course ucConditioner 5V, i have now put them on the old linearpi and no problem at all, but a soon i put the ucConditioner 5V on the linearpi mkii (5vdc) and power on, the fuse blow after 1 sec. I have tried to power a Raspberrpi 4b with the linearpi mkii and the heat sink is hot as hell. I use 9vac for the 5 vdc configuration according to the manual.
I use it for the I/V opa 861.

Last edited:
Interested in the results of this because I plan on upgrading three of my LinearPis to MKII only so I can use my favorite fuses on them. I will purchase once the new clocks are ready to go (no rush!) and wondering what the solution to the fuse situation will be. I will start off with some cheap generic fuses in the beginning now and wait a while and monitor temps and if no problems, will then put in my favorite fuses. Can't wait to hear the entire setup. Of course will have to recalibrate all the software on Gentooplayer Diretta bridge again, but it will be worth it. Plus, it will drive my wife crazy playing the same song over and over for hours and in the end I will proclaim, once again, "It sounds better than it ever has before. I thought it couldn't get any better, but I can hear so much deeper into the recording" and she will roll her eyes and say "You say that every single time."

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry of course ucConditioner 5V, i have now put them on the old linearpi and no problem at all, but a soon i put the ucConditioner 5V on the linearpi mkii (5vdc) and power on, the fuse blow after 1 sec. I have tried to power a Raspberrpi 4b with the linearpi mkii and the heat sink is hot as hell. I use 9vac for the 5 vdc configuration according to the manual.
I use it for the I/V opa 861.
I double tested my LinearPiMkII and my UCC5V today with 6V AC as input without any problem. So, I suggest
1. Make sure all LinearPis have independent AC coil, can not be shared with any other power supplies.
2. If you think the heatsink is too hot for your application, please change to 6V AC input
3. Use 6V AC as input or replace the fuse with 5A rated ones to see if it happens again?

Please let me know if you have and update.
Ian

I double tested my LinearPiMkII and my UCC5V today with 6V AC as input without any problem. So, I suggest
1. Make sure all LinearPis have independent AC coil, can not be shared with any other power supplies.
2. If you think the heatsink is too hot for your application, please change to 6V AC input
3. Use 6V AC as input or replace the fuse with 5A rated ones to see if it happens again?

Please let me know if you have and update.
Ian
Hi Ian
1. It has Independent AC coils.
2. I will try.
3. I have just ordred some new fuses.