Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Have been very busy. Here are a new update.
UcConditioner Pro 5V
  1. Ultracapacitors are pre-installed. Plug and play. No need for any soldering job.
  2. Ultra-low ESR, 70% lower than the previous versions
  3. New high efficiency management chip to reduce the peak charging current, speed up the charging time and make the overall EMI noise even lower
  4. Optimized PCB layout for better performance
  5. Equipped with vertical mounting brackets

Looking nice @iancanada

How would you rate your new UcConditioner pro with a linearPi to power your OPA861 compared to the UcPureIII?

Any pricing on the UcCond. pro for now?

Regards Mikkel

@Bas Horneman

You should go with either a 22.5792 or 45.1584 MHz. Both of them will cover the 44.1 kHz family of frequencies (and Redbook).

I did the same upgrade with only one SC-pure clock, because 90% of the material I listen to is 44.1 kHz.

Regards Mikkel
Sounds like the best recommendation. FWIW, I take this to the extreme. I use a single Well Audio clock at 5.6MHz and use it to play exclusively Redbook 44.1. In the case of Well Audio, the performance is best at those lower frequencies. Ian Canada publishes the max you can play at the various clock frequencies. I believe the chart is in the FIFO manual.

@Bas Horneman
I up graded right off the bat to the accusilicon AS338s. $130 for the pair
Perfect, solid fit.

Attachments

• IMG_8610.jpeg
    IMG_8610.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 70
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Looking nice @iancanada

How would you rate your new UcConditioner pro with a linearPi to power your OPA861 compared to the UcPureIII?

Any pricing on the UcCond. pro for now?

Regards Mikkel
Hello,
Soon there will the Ucpure pro because some of the big improvements made to the uc conditioner can be implemented at the uc pure boards too.
Almost makes me think of the poor country side folks in South East Asia spending a few months salary on a iphone and doing this at short intervals because there will be a new kid on the block pretty soon.
Greetings Eduard

Yup i purchased my last UCC a month ago and I'm feeling good with that. I'm sure that most of us have purchased a hardware in the past only to find it has been updated a short while after. It happens.

I'm enjoying the constant evolution and the idea that the project is still alive and kicking after more than 10 years.

On shunts.

I've used shunts many times in the past (mostly Salas) and mostly liked what I hear But how and where to use them. On the OPA yup that thought flickered through my mind in the build phase of my Ian DAC. I think that in that spot a good shunt could work well but on the digital PSU especially AVCC I need to be convinced. as from my creaking memory shunts have one big disadvantage.

They tend to be noisier.

But I'm happy to be wrong and out of touch.

I have a +5V tent shunt on hand (and a tent clock) so may get the -5V and give it a spin sometime latter if I feel the need.

So any thoughts on noise?

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Of course Ian being a salesman he will present any update as the bees knees. He can't say he should have spend a few days more on the previous one.
I will only buy new boards if they are guaranteed to be in working order.
Other boards i will buy at Audiophonics in France so i will be covered by EU consumer rights .
Greetings Eduard

they know once they are sending customers non working boards news will spread around
Ok

Making such statements requires some degree of evidence to back it up IMHO. How many not working boards have you had?

where is you statistical evidence for such statements?

You've missed my observations/questions on shunts and their use. You've advocated their use and I'm interested in your thought and experience with them.

That could make for a more interesting conversation rather than the endless and for the most part baseless negative comments on Ian's boards.

We could all benefit from that sort of conversation.

Reactions: 4 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I remember reading several posts here about boards which were not working because of bad solder joints.

I have used Tent shunts in several spots and they were used in the DDDAC too and i never heard anything about them being noisy.
The shunts that Guido Tent is making are very compact( which limits their current capability) but being small means it can be used as intended, CLOSE to the " consumer"
Using the " ultimate " power supply and then having it to put it at a big distance because there are big power modules all over the place looks weird to me.
I won't state that the Tent shunts are the way to go. I am not a salesman. You don't need to buy a new soldering tool that is for sure.
I never tried any of the Salas products but i assume they are good because people keep buying them. But people also buy cars that are miserable or diy furniture.
Greetings, Eduard

Newbie here, just received PurePi and set up today. For now just using USB out of Raspberry Pi. I’m blown away by the improvement.
My question is about the safety of handling the PurePi with its ultracapacitors. The on-off switch is very close to the wires of the UC. I know they are much smaller than the coke can variety but wonder if they pose a danger of shock.
Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Newbie here, just received PurePi and set up today. For now just using USB out of Raspberry Pi. I’m blown away by the improvement.
My question is about the safety of handling the PurePi with its ultracapacitors. The on-off switch is very close to the wires of the UC. I know they are much smaller than the coke can variety but wonder if they pose a danger of shock.
Thanks
Hello,
I think once you put the boards in an enclosure ( i think it is even mandatory) you cannot reach the switch anymore and then you should use the possibility of an external more sturdy switch. I will just leave it on. If i use my Raspberry somewhere hidden and connect it with hdmi cable the quality of the power supply wont matter anymore.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi @SimonJ

I think you are absolutely right🙂

Let me rephrase that question; how close will the linearPi + UcCond. pro get to a UcPure? ☺️

This was also related to the overall cost of a new +/- PS.
Hello,
There have been further developments in supercap technology using a material " designed" with the help of AI. Could take some time before getting available to ordinary people.
If you could create a construction that will allow you to position uc conditioners real close to the green input terminals, remove these and use a 5 centimeters wire from board to board soldered at both sides i will wonder if 4 coke cans positioned at at a considerable bigger distance and using the green terminals could be any better. The Tent shunts work better than your previous supplies i have a strong feeling this is related to the short connections.
Doede has improved his Dddac power supply specs, he has stopped using shunts and still manages to get better performances.
I think most of use using a big number of boards there must be some guidance where most of your attention should go. I would say uc pure is the best supply and using it an a less optimal way will easily make it give just a tiny improvement.
Greetings, Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
When i started thinking about constructing Ian's HDMI pro streamer I was interested pretty much in the power supply design concept. I cut my DIY teeth on the Regulation of PSU'S and the idea that if a PSU flaps around then bolt it down. My first tube amp I designed was a choke plate loaded 76 into 45DHT which used 6080 tube regulation on the HT side. sounded pretty good and hard to beat with subsequent builds.

I remember many moons ago the work of the guy's over on Tir Na Audio Forum with battery's for digital audio but I'd already built the Buffalo III (all shunts) (thanks toRuss/Brian quality lasts) so did not pursue it. It was interesting to read and observed those ideas develop over time.

Later with that little Knowledge I'd picked up.

I decided to give Ian's streamer a try and it turned out to sound pretty wonderful which made me wonder about the DAC.

Reading through info one word caught my eye straight of of the bat.

TRANSCONDUCTANCE.

I'd built the utterly superb Paradise phono/Kalvin Buffers pre which uses that topology and it still sounds great today after all this time. A big thanks to Joachim Gerhard for his generous gift.

So one of my previous post's was a bit rushed

''They tend to be noisier.''

And maybe the more complete ''they tend to be noisier when compared to a good linear PSU'' would have helped the conversation more.

My bad.

i suspect that others have found this also hence the move away from shunts by Doede and Russ/Brian from twisted pear. I don't know any of those guys so just speculation on my part.

''there must be some guidance where most of your attention should go''

Good point.

IMHO PSU's are like horses for courses. the right one in the right place is what I try for and yes shunts have their place. My only question is how effective they are compared to others for the digital side give ESS chips well known sensitivity to AVCC supply quality. Sure this has been done over and over in the past but maybe the latest generation of Reg chips and battery/supercaps have something to add to the conversation.

''I would say UC pure is the best supply and using it an a less optimal way will easily make it give just a tiny improvement.''

I'm assuming You've not really tried this out for yourself but theoretically you may have a point. maybe a better question is has anyone moved to UC pure and found little or no improvement in the SQ? We may all benefit from that conversation and make better choices further down the line.

Reactions: 4 users