Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

You're correct, there's a small but inconviniant difference in size.
For the time being I resolved it as you can see in the attached pictures.
When I rebuild my current dac housing I probably solder them directly on the Q7

View attachment 1269386 View attachment 1269387 View attachment 1269388
Thank you, maybe I will do the same.
But I think I need some soft/mild plastic cable ties (the hard ones maybe damage the clocks). How is yours?
What is that white plastic between the clocks?

On UCBalancer manual we find this
"Please make sure all ultracapacitors are fully discharged before installation. If not, have to discharge them by a 5 ohms 10W power resistor"

After more than 16 hours with 4.7Ohm/10W resistor on it, there is 0.1V on the capacitor (2.7V, 3000F).
@iancanada Is this ok, or should I wait until there is zero voltage?

Any ideas how to use a anti-vibrating material on top of the clocks just to hold them a bit pressed on the Q7 sockets and to provide anti-vibration solution? As you see in the pictures, above the Q7 I have HDMIPiPRO and TransportPiAES.
Maybe I could use this "ShieldPi" between HDMIPiPRO and TransportPiAES, but I think I need some GPIO extenders/spacers ???

Attachments

• IMG_6956.jpg
    IMG_6956.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 40
Thank you, maybe I will do the same.
But I think I need some soft/mild plastic cable ties (the hard ones maybe damage the clocks). How is yours?
What is that white plastic between the clocks?
The white plastic between the clocks is a piece of cable tie to keep the clocks straight when pulling the cable tie down.
If you think the cable tie is to hard you can soften them a bit in hot water or use a hairdryer, to be on the safe side, do this before you tie them down ;)
I've had no problems to tie them down.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I just had a problem with a lifepo mini 6.6v.

I'm using 2x6.6v liepo mini + 1x3.3v Lifepo mini in series to power 2 andreas clocks.
the 3 lifepo mini are powered in ac 2x9v 1x5v.

Everything was working good for 2 days, but this morning: black smoke...
Looking inside, a small element L1 burned near j5 , please see pictures.

the board still shows input power led and output power led but no more pure led nor full charge.

Do you have an idea of what happened? and what can be the cause of this burning?
Thank you for your help.

terry

LifePO4Mini.jpg

IMG-9170.jpg

@iancanada Thanks for the information. I have attached the small cable. Not sure what should be displayed on the monitor and Gustard R26. I am sending DSD64 file to Gustard R26. Have used both Roon and Volumino This is what I see on various inputs with NOS / DSD Direct OFF and ON

On Gustard R26 - NOS & DSD direct ON
LAN - DSD 2.82m
I2S - PCM 384k with or without small cable Roon and Volumino
USB- DSD 24.5m

On Gustard R26 - NOS & DSD direct OFF
LAN - DSD 2.82m
I2S - PCM 384k with or without small cable Roon and Volumino
USB- DSD 24.5m

With your discussion with @camrector Is PCM 384k what should be displayed?
With the R26 configured with NOS & DSD direct ON does the FifoPiQ7 clocks take control of the timing?

Thanks - Dave

Attachments

• 93B Display.jpg
    93B Display.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 93B side w small cable.jpg
    93B side w small cable.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Gustard R26 IIS input.jpg
    Gustard R26 IIS input.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 53
@camrector - No I did not. Switched. Now I see DSD64 on the 93B monitor and DSD 2.82m on the R26 display. This is with NOS/ DSD Direct ON. I am not aware of the DSD conventions what is DSD64 (Ripped SACD files) vs DSD 2.82?
Next step is using HQPlayer to work same way as Roon Direct. In the HQPlayer in Roon there is not the ability to set DSD over DoP in Device setup

If you use HQPlayer do you know the settings i should change? Below are my settings in HQPlayer and Roon

Attachments

• HQPlayer SDM.jpg
    HQPlayer SDM.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 35
  • HQPlayer Roon Settings.jpg
    HQPlayer Roon Settings.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 35
  • HQPlayer PCM.jpg
    HQPlayer PCM.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 40
  • HQPlayer Outputs.jpg
    HQPlayer Outputs.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 39
@dcallende
You should be all good. Pick what filters and upsampling you want. Again I’m new to the Ian Canada / RPI stuff so I don’t know max sample rate etc etc.

can I ask why a R2R dad for DSD? You do understand that the R2R ladder is for PCM only. The R26 uses a second internal 1bit DSD dac. Not the ladder. I don't know if you’re a measurement guy but I’ll post the R26 dsd measurements. It’s bad. Like really bad.
I loved my R26 but when I got into DSD and the HQplayer upsampling, the noise of the R26 was appalling.

Attachments

• IMG_8400.jpeg
    IMG_8400.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 32
@dcallende
Yup all R2R DACs are only PCM. For DSD Denefrips uses a multi bit solution in its FPGA same with Holo. A26 uses the AKM chip.

It doesn’t matter the input. With DSD direct off it’s converted to PCM and sent to that ladder. With DSD direct on and DSD is detected then it’s sent to the Native 1bit DSD dac for conversion.

We need a better solution (ahem….@iancanada), so we are not paying for these expensive matched resistor ladders that are now going unused.

We have been begging Jussi (HQplayer creator) to design something. Now I’m going to beg @iancanada too. Lol

@dcallende
Join our brain trust here. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/best-native-dsd-dacs-for-use-with-hqplayer/132298/649

Holo has the new Cyan out so we are waiting for Jussi to measure its performance.
Holo May and Spring2 high on the list(although expensive resistor ladders you are paying for and won’t use)

The smsl d6 measures almost exactly like the Holo May for DSD. It’s $170

Gustards A26/R26/AH90
And then we are at dacs that are in the $10k and up.
There isn’t much out there. I know the market is small but if @iancanada designed a DSD hat it would no doubt sell out.

You’ll find more solutions than me using a separate streamer
I’m no longer interested in USB/I2S audio.
Network is the future.

@Yveskoala the software side is handled
BY HQplayer. This is on the hardware level and the implementation/choice of chip.
The ESS chip used here on Ian Canadas dual mono dac doesn’t have an option to bypass the Sd modulator. The AK chips can but just need to be programmed to do so. Other chips have Native as a direct option.
DoP is not a solution imho. It doesn’t have the bandwidth.

This can be done. We aren’t asking for the impossible. If the Holo Red streamer can do DSD1024 on a RPI board, it’s not the RPI that’s the issue.
This falls on the programmers and dac makers.

Here there are many of us looking!
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/best-native-dsd-dacs-for-use-with-hqplayer/132298/649

HdmiPiProII and FifoPiQ7 works perfectly for Gustard R26 at Native DSD. You just need to connect the small cable from Q7 to the HdmiPiPro which can pass the DSDEN signal to Pin15.
Please find the picture for the connections. I just test it the day before yesterday.

HdmiPiProII_R26_R2R by Ian, on Flickr
@iancanada
Thanks for the info. I hope I hooked up the cable properly (See attached photo). With some help of others got it working. Checked with both Roon and Volumino. It initially worked. Now it does not Rebooted with PoPieee not working. The monitor is displaying is rapidly going back and forth of the lower right two items (45 & 49). See the attached two displays. Have I destroyed the two clocks by not properly attaching the small cable?

Dave

Attachments

• 93B Display.jpg
    93B Display.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 93B side w small cable.jpg
    93B side w small cable.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 93B Display no Sig.jpg
    93B Display no Sig.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 55
@Yveskoala the software side is handled
BY HQplayer. This is on the hardware level and the implementation/choice of chip.
The ESS chip used here on Ian Canadas dual mono dac doesn’t have an option to bypass the Sd modulator. The AK chips can but just need to be programmed to do so. Other chips have Native as a direct option.
DoP is not a solution imho. It doesn’t have the bandwidth.

This can be done. We aren’t asking for the impossible. If the Holo Red streamer can do DSD1024 on a RPI board, it’s not the RPI that’s the issue.
This falls on the programmers and dac makers.

Here there are many of us looking!
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/best-native-dsd-dacs-for-use-with-hqplayer/132298/649
I have the Holo May KTE. My Ian Canada stack DDC has no RPI. The idea was to go thru i2s and use DSD only with HQP.
I have to install HQP and do some tests.

I have read that Holo Red technically support DSD1024 but not when it was shipped. Yes, it was a software (or a firmware) issue. Last time I checked, there was only 14 DSD1024 albums. I have one but cannot play it because Roon does not support it.

Before using my DDC, I was seing DSD on the display of the May, not anymore. I thought it was a config issue. I sounds great for now and I know I will look at this more deeply when I install HQP.

The information you share gives me another angle to look at this. Am I looking at the wrong direction? I'll see.

Yves

@iancanada
Thanks for the info. I hope I hooked up the cable properly (See attached photo). With some help of others got it working. Checked with both Roon and Volumino. It initially worked. Now it does not Rebooted with PoPieee not working. The monitor is displaying is rapidly going back and forth of the lower right two items (45 & 49). See the attached two displays. Have I destroyed the two clocks by not properly attaching the small cable?

Dave

MonitorPi is a great tool to debug the system. It tells everything. The troubleshoot will be very easy if you make use of it.
Showing the XO frequencies zero means there are no clock signals. Mostly is the Q7 3.3V power supply issue unless you damaged the two XOs.
Please fix the issue if there is no 3.3V.

Ian

Last edited: