Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hqplayer --Rpi4 RopieeeXL NAA --USB Denafrips DAC [usually the devices you connect to Rpi4 cause a bottleneck, I had this with DDC]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 8.41.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 8.41.18 PM.png
    985 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
My guess is something to do with a damn mute channel or something... I can't figure it out for the life of me.

A mute issues... Mute cable? Trying now without receiver pi II, using monitor pi pro with ddc off... Can't get this mute on the display to go away no matter what I do, 44.1, higher, dsd, dop natta. Dsd and dop don't show mute, but they just have no sound but lights change correctly...

Does it matter station pi pro shows controller led?
In distant past I have been stumped and discovered ALSA had mute switch on. For completeness, perhaps dig into software to confirm ALSA is operating and if it has mute switch ticked.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still putting things together but I don't think it's that high. My Pi-less build would be as follows. This comes to about $1600 USD

I tried to re-charge this week, but since I have no clue on the DAC modules, I can't process or architect how this all plays out. And that takes energy. Since, there is a decent sample size of posters here in a similar situation I think you should be perfectly fine. I would probably be the last person one would ask concerning OEM DACS and Transformers.

But you should lookout for Ian's new DAC this month which he is including into the Group Buy.

There are only a few weeks left in the Group Buy, that will save you 10% off on the newish items.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy.207438/post-2919992

Once the new Ian DAC is released this month, the Group Buy will probably close a week after.

I have something similar to this (Long Covid), so it's difficult for I to concentrate on demand. That's why I only post in spurts. I've been trying to go on a 2 year hiatus a few times, but got impatient waiting for the Group Buy to close so I started posting again. Good Luck.

Can’t Think, Can’t Remember: More Americans Say They’re in a Cognitive Fog​

There are more Americans who say they have serious cognitive problems — with remembering, concentrating or making decisions — than at any time in the last 15 years, data from the Census Bureau shows.

https://1ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/upshot/long-covid-disability.html

Many Thanks @iancanada for the UcBalancer this year. I finally get to have fun with the UcPure MKI and UcPure MKII.

It was extremely difficult waiting for Eaton Balancing Boards due to Supply Chain issues, so I'll never forget when the UcBalancer was realeased.

For FPGA DACs, you need a few months of Brain Burn-In. You just can't listen for 30 minutes and draw a conclusion. So this week I finally Brain Burned-In after implementing the UcPure/UcBalancer over the Summer. I realised naturally the Soundstage Depth, Height and Width are much improved on my Gaming Setup.

It's really amazing for Video Games to be immersed into that virtual world.

This is only possible by powering the USB optical cable with the UcPure/UcBalancer, so it's a dream come true Gaming Chain. I hope to convert the USB cable from Neotech Cooper Solid Core to Mundorf Silver Solid Core now that I know this level of immersion is possible.

monoprice.jpg

Anyways, now that there is a countdown to the Group Buy ending and Holiday Season starting this week for the rest of the year, I think it's a good tyme to try to go back on a 2 year hiatus (3rd or 4th attempt) to focus on health. So I'm out of this thread, again.

I look forward to:
  1. RPi 5
  2. RPi 5 w/ PCI-E HAT w/ PCI-E USB Card
  3. Another FPGA DAC in 2024/2025 now that my chain is pristine thanks to Ian's hard work.
There's also a NVME HAT that attaches to the bottom of the RPI5, so it should be good to go with a StationPi but it's not a priority yet. I rather wait for more RPi5 HATs releasing January 2024. Yes, you can boot straight from NVME at blazing speeds. Crossing fingers RPi5 is shipped out end of November.

hat.png

Last edited:
I tried to re-charge this week, but since I have no clue on the DAC modules, I can't process or architect how this all plays out. And that takes energy. Since, there is a decent sample size of posters here in a similar situation I think you should be perfectly fine. I would probably be the last person one would ask concerning OEM DACS and Transformers.

But you should lookout for Ian's new DAC this month which he is including into the Group Buy.

There are only a few weeks left in the Group Buy, that will save you 10% off on the newish items.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy.207438/post-2919992

Once the new Ian DAC is released this month, the Group Buy will probably close a week after.

I have something similar to this (Long Covid), so it's difficult for I to concentrate on demand. That's why I only post in spurts. I've been trying to go on a 2 year hiatus a few times, but got impatient waiting for the Group Buy to close so I started posting again. Good Luck.

https://1ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/upshot/long-covid-disability.html
Thanks, that's DAC I'm after

Hi all, I'm trying to understand if I can buy one of Ian Canada's products to accomplish what I want.

I want to feed i2s into this DAC board:

1700487159896.png

I tried running HDMI i2s from a Matrix X-SPDIF 3 into it, however I get mostly static unless I hold the i2s lines with my fingers. I have since learned that the reason is most likely because the X-SPDIF3 outputs LVDS and not "CMOS" level i2s. And every "LVDS to CMOS" converter chip would introduce jitter

Can someone help me in plain terms to understand if I can get an Ian Canada device to feed in pure i2s and use his new "SC-PURE" clocks to re-clock it as well? I am looking for the best possible clock signal over all else, and the cost of the device does not matter

I read the manual but saw that MCLK, SCK, LRCK, and SD are all U.FL sockets, so my questions are:
1. can I just connect those directly to the i2s input of this board?
2. how would I connect those sockets these input jumpers?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:
@PcChip
I connected the same PCM 1794A dac board for a friend.
You can use all i2s signals from the gpio pins fifoQ7 and the mclk via a U.FL cable, you will need this mclk for this pcm board anyway.
also note that you have to upsample otherwise you won't get any sound.
in my own streamer I use a pcm 1794A but then the fifoMA 1.5 but all i2s connected via U.FL cable.

Attachments

• 2023-06-23-10-24-14-216.jpg
    2023-06-23-10-24-14-216.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 2023-11-20-17-48-27-431.jpg
    2023-11-20-17-48-27-431.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Solder the U.FL cable to a piece of jumper cable.

I get no sound here via gpio or U.FL directly from the fifoQ7 or fifoMa 1.5 (volumio) both pcm dac, I need to upsample.
You do get sound, but very low, I have to turn the volume knob all the way up.
I haven't tried moodeaudio or picoreplayer.

it should indeed be able to play......but unfortunately not.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1794a.pdf

Last edited:
UcPure/UcBalancer troubleshoot case

issue: UcPure in 5V configuration, one of the ultracapacitor can not be charged and always keeps 0V.

Finally the reason was found.
The pins at the back of the UcBalancer PCB touch and break the yellow film of the big capacitor and make a short circuit. Please see the pictures for the case.

Fix:
Discharged all the ultra capacitors to 0V, cut the UcBalancer connector pins it they are too long, or installed more washers. After that it works fine without any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_3216a.jpg
    IMG_3216a.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 100
My guess is something to do with a damn mute channel or something... I can't figure it out for the life of me.

A mute issues... Mute cable? Trying now without receiver pi II, using monitor pi pro with ddc off... Can't get this mute on the display to go away no matter what I do, 44.1, higher, dsd, dop natta. Dsd and dop don't show mute, but they just have no sound but lights change correctly...

Does it matter station pi pro shows controller led?
MonitorPiPro shows the signal was wrong.

Please do it step by step to debug the issue.

Please first remove the Q7 and the whole audio stack. Install the MonitorPi to the GPIO connector that Q7 was installed.
To see if the format is correct when playing music.

Just to add a data point: I also have distortion (static noise) with 176 and 192 PCM files although my setup is different:
RPi4, StationPi Pro, FifoPi Q7 and HDMIPi Pro, powered by PurePi II with UcConditioner II 3.3V.

An Amanero board is on the way, and I am hoping that this will enable up to PCM384 and DSD512.
Today I installed the Amanero board on the StationPi Pro and it made music immediately. However, there was still that static noise with anything above PCM96 -- and no DSD at all. So I reflashed Amanero with CPL_1080_SWAPPED / 2006be11, but then there was no music at all. Both moOode and GentooPlayer recognize the board as being DSD capable, but there is no lock with the DAC (Leaf Audio CMD27). When I tried with cpld_1082 / 2006be15r2, same outcome: no lock, no music.

Any idea? Could it be that my DAC is in sync mode and not in async mode? Maybe I require different CPU firmware?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Screwing the wires onto the terminal already creates the possibility of damaging the plastic cover of the cap.
Sometimes it could take a few weeks for the metal to penetrate the plastic so better have all builds checked.
Of course adding an extra washer will create an extra contact resistance so better fix things properly.
Uc pure board also needs special attention during mounting it seems.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• IMG_3216a.jpg
    IMG_3216a.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 41