Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I'm out. I can't comment on the StationPi Pro as that is completely a new product to me and before my time.

I might need one though as my first gen StationPi is driving me crazy. I did the soldering on the RPi side a few years back, so I'm completely disassembling to troubleshoot because I have no recollection what I did on the RPi side. I can get both sides to PWR, but I don't think it's passing DATA so I need to be more meticulous on the 40-pins.

So 50/50 I might try a StationPi Pro for the GB if I give up on the first gen StationPi.

Drive Shaft,

The Audio side of the stack only powers the dirty side of the StationPi Pro via J5. Seems like overkill for a UcPure. Can't you change it to 3.3V and power the clean side of the audio stack.

The 3.3V on the Audio side is no longer a thing. Theoretically, it would be nice as I have an open slot on the UcPure 3.3V too!

My Post:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...eapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/post-7383558

BogdanS Post:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...eapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/post-7295168

So I figure since I have an open slot on the UcPure 5V that I would be powering with clean 5V instead of clean 3.3V.

I was originally going with a bridge cable from J3 to J5, then I power 5V via J5 only. But now that I have an open slot, I can remove the bridge cable and just go full independent. It won't be a waste since it's just another open slot on the UcPure. If I didn't have an open slot, then I would stick with the bridge cable solution.

Last edited:
Just built the Simplifed flagship from Iancanada with i2s output. I am running a rpi4 with Volumio which is running Roon Bridge. I can get output from any track or format no problem.....

But NO 16bit tracks will play????? Please help

Q7 Manual:
By default, the 16bit to 32bit converting function is disabled. FifoPi Q7 will output 16bit music in its original data
depth.
Some DAC doesn’t support 16bit music, for example the popular 44.1KHz 16bit CD format. In this case, you have
to enable the software up-sampling to convert it into 32bit, otherwise it will be no sound or play noise. However,
the software up-sampling process may not be in a way of lossless. With a FifoPi Q7 in system, you can simply fix
this problem by just enabling the 16bit to 32bit hardware lossless convertor function.

Seems DAC-dependent.

I think you need a MonitorPi to adjust the 16to32 settings. Fortunately, it's HW lossless conversion it seems.

Check back in August...

So, still something like a list containing the following information would be nice:
  • Module name with its average power consumption (to decide if we want to power it off supercaps or shunt regs)
  • Module name and if it needs 3,3V and/or 5V

In post #9,031SimonJ shows a piece of the documentation on which possibilities exists for feeding 5V with a StationPi board. Additionally if we are lucky we stumble across the following in the FifoPiQ7 manual on page 8, chapter "F", J3: "(Optional) 5V RaspberryPi DC power input". This indicates for me input power related to the RPI, but it states in the end:

"FifoPi Q7 has much powerful FIFO engine, so it’s need 5V power supply for J3. FifoPi Q7 will not work if you feed 3.3V to J3."
So, FifoPiQ7 seems to require also 5V.

Drive Shaft posted this in post #9,037. Thank you!

"FifoPi Q7 has much powerful FIFO engine, so it’s need 5V power supply for J3. FifoPi Q7 will not work if you feed 3.3V to J3." So, FifoPiQ7 seems to require also 5V."

......FIFOPI Q7 needs both 5v and 3.3v to operate - 5v to J3 & 3.3v to J5. Now what might be confusing people is when they are using a StationPi the 5v needed to power the FIFOPI comes from the StationPi 5v connector.....just my thoughts. At the end of the day FIFOPI Q7 needs both 5v and 3.3v to operate and the 5v can come from different places.

Hope that helps....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Of course we should realise that many people are not used to reading anymore and for many of us English is not our native language.
Maybe someone with some nice computer skills should make some nice drawings to show how things could be connected.
I remember there were a few of these for clarification the use of fifopi , dddac and a collection of power supplies.
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
yes, like I said above
What really would help is a spreadsheet /list with each module, its needed voltage and average current consumption. If a module can get the input from another one, or if it can deliver it to another, and if it needs a separate power supply, should be listed, too.
As there are so many possibilities (most of them very clear and logic), having all the documentation at once laying on the table is a bit of lucky guesswork.
A document has the use to describe each function detailed, but the interaction of different modules needs to have a different document.
For starters a overview document naming each module, the pros and cons of each module and a ranking in its group (e.g. reclocker), and examples of streamers and DACs (cheap/ price+performance/ high end) like we can find in different places would be very helpful.
I can remember very well being overwhelmed of the enormous sum of modules and their for me confusing names...
My point is to being helpful for others, I've found out what fits my needs, I don't want to quibble.

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
39B358C1-59D9-405E-8B80-F1850A8099CE.jpeg

Have a phase noise plot for an Acko Labs clock at the same frequency, if that helps:
View attachment 1190043

They are physically not very big:
Hey Mark,

Magic Xtal from Russia :) :(

https://magicxtal.com/products/?S=20&C=36&I=570

They used to be relatively inexpensive at qtys >=10. SC-cut, same as Pulsar.

PS - You can add your own fancy ULN power supply but if you split the can open there will usually be revealed an internal PS that's maybe not quite 'DIYA qualified' ULN.

Last edited:
Yes, of course I can use RPi USB output, but in this case I can’t take advantage of the FIFO board.
And USB input I don’t really need, there is no advantage of having an additional device since I can stream from Pi …
Maybe having an USB output would be a good Ideea @iancanada . Probably I’m not the only one using USB input of the DAC …

Reactions: 1 user