And what did we buy today?

great looking house by the beach!.......is this where you live? it looks fantastic, sun, water, tinkering.....

No way could I afford to live there. That was a "once in a lifetime" extended family vacation on the outer banks of North Carolina. That is the Atlantic Ocean in the background. During the off season it cost us almost $5K to rent the place for a week. There were 12 of us staying there, so that made it affordable for Sherri and I.

I did grow up in South Florida and never lived more than 12 miles from the ocean for 62 years, so I played in it often.

they are 32bit, do you use the Arduino IDE to program them?

Yes, there is the "Teensyduino" extensions that you download from their web site and install into the Arduino IDE, which adds several Teensy specific libraries, including the audio library and provides a menu pick for several Teensy boards from mild to wild. There were several 8 bit versions based on Atmel chips which have gone extinct, but two versions are still made and supported. I have tried every one of the 32 bit parts, but never used any of the 8 bit parts.

I got my orders from Electronics Goldmine and DigiKey today. The Digikey order was mostly PIC chip stuff. Digging through the documentation has surprized me by how much things have changed, and how much is still the same, since the last time I spent any serious PIC chip design time in 2007 for an embedded system in a tube amp.

nowadays the magazine is 99% embedded systems, MCUs, FPGAs, etc.. with the ocassional audio article.

This reminded me of a magazine article I wrote for Circuit Cellar magazine which is now mostly for the embedded syetem market. I designed a vacuum tube amp for a design contest sponsored by Microchip. My "ancient technology" with a modern twist design won the "best use of DSP resources" prize in the contest. This resulted in me writing an article about it. This was over 11 years ago.

The article, and all of the other old contest stuff disappeared from their web site when the magazine changed ownership several years ago. I am the author, so I am including it here.

Attachments

• 2910014_Anderson.pdf
    289.1 KB · Views: 35
"I bought birthday money ...":confused:
Yes, my sense of humour is questionable at times. You can ask the pretty lady who will be on the receiving end of the aforementioned birthday money. Purchasing your own currency at par might have tipped you off. :)
Sounds like a REAL FAST bank withdrawal .... :eek:
Nope, these days when I rob a bank, I have to wait in line. Those door attendants are a really tough bunch. I don't dare try and sneak in. Even my semi automatic rifle don't deter them. "Sir, you wait your turn or we will not be serving you this day" Sigh, it used to be so much easier.

bought a new repair kit for my mum’s snorkel fountain pen from 1959

Attachments

• 6D3B2C6F-4E14-4866-9099-DB2893C074BD.jpeg
    6D3B2C6F-4E14-4866-9099-DB2893C074BD.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 102
Not too long ago, wearing a mask while walking into a bank meant trouble......now it's required. Times are changing.
Same thing for convenience stores, where wearing one used to mean your chances of being shot increased exponentially. That thought occurred to me just five minutes ago while purchasing a drink.

Hey Bigun, nice to see another fountain pen aficionado. I have a Lamy 2000 that leaks because of a bad rubber seal. It's not an o-ring, but apparently some sort of proprietary part that requires sending the whole pen in for repair. Poo. Fortunately I have another, along with a small assortment of their Safari pens.

Oh - and to stay on topic: An annual examination for Wheezer the wonder cat.

Last edited:
Hey Bigun, nice to see another fountain pen aficionado. I have a Lamy 2000 that leaks because of a bad rubber seal. It's not an o-ring, but apparently some sort of proprietary part that requires sending the whole pen in for repair. Poo. Fortunately I have another, along with a small assortment of their Safari pens.

That’s irritating, maybe phone them and see if a kind person will pop a new seal in the mail ?

My interest in FP’s is very recent, this will be my first restoration attempt. Otherwise I recently got myself a lockdown gift of a couple of antique dip pens, a new Pilot 823 and an Aurora Optima, which handle and write quite differently from each other. My DIY instincts may yet result in my grinding one of them to a stub nib.

Last edited:
...The article, and all of the other old contest stuff disappeared from their web site when the magazine changed ownership several years ago. I am the author, so I am including it here.

Wow, thanks for sharing that George, and congrats on another innovative design. It's an interesting read. Any old Byte Mag article like yours always brings back a flood of memories here. I'm no longer a subscriber, but I was back in the '70s & '80s (the time of the great Robert Tinney covers).

For a time in 1981, I had them delivered to my temp address, a halfway house where I lived for several months following a comprehensive 4-week inpatient alcoholism rehab program (thankfully still sober today). During my stay there, I remember completing a couple of projects.

One was a Minimoog "chop job," Gary Wright syle, for a musician friend (I kept it locked in a closet (against regs) in my dorm room!). The other was a single-board computer, an SD Systems Z-80 Starter Kit (which is still languishing in my (unlocked) closet). To this I also added an S-100 video card, and perf-boarded a little circuit to restrict screen updates to the vertical blanking interval to eliminate screen flicker.

Anyway - sorry for the thread creep. Thanks again for the memories.

Last edited:
Any old Byte Mag article....I'm no longer a subscriber, but I was back in the '70s & '80s

I had subscriptions to Byte and Kilobaud in their time. My SWTPC machine had grown to take up nearly a whole workbench. I remember going into a Byte Shop store in Miami in the 70's with some friends. We were looking at an Apple I computer, and might have bought it if the tech could get it to work....That would be worth some $$$$ today, but so would a lot of stuff I gave away, like an original white face ARP Odyssey with a three digit serial number.

When I made my first Apple II clone, the SWTPC was banished to the closet, and donated to a museum in the late 80's. I had made a little 4 X 6 inch breadboard with a MC68HC11 chip that whooped it's butt. I still have it.

To this I also added an S-100 video card

Hey, I was an SS-50 kinda guy!

Attachments

• HC11_EVB_top_A.jpg
    HC11_EVB_top_A.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 141
  • HC11_EVB_A.jpg
    HC11_EVB_A.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 129
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What is it? A nail-polish dryer?
Yes, it should work for that. :p And yes, you found it, although I paid a dollar less for mine.

I had been using a very hot blow dryer I found at Salvation Army for heat shrink. Worked great but was burning up my fingers doing small parts. Was about to build a tinfoil snood for it, when my wife ordered the craft size gun. It works!

I haven't bought it yet but am tempted to pick up this classic piece of audio gear up. Single ended tube amplifier, alnico full range driver and a crystal phono cartridge who could ask for more !

Attachments

• 101291895_10220303044298643_2858527087676451193_o.jpg
    101291895_10220303044298643_2858527087676451193_o.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 102720781_10220303044538649_666740500819692957_o.jpg
    102720781_10220303044538649_666740500819692957_o.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 100