An Objective Comparison of 3in - 4in Class Full Range Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you keep saying that the lower limit of Dynamic Range is an audiophile concept.

No matter how many times you say it, it will not become an audiophile concept. The particular term's use may not be wide-spread, but it was coined by an engineer and is not at all widely known in audiophile circles.

dave

4th time. 'DDR' is an audiophile concept. Dynamic range is rather well defined and well known in audio engineering.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'd not come across the DDR term before but to me it seems it is simply the ability of a driver to reproduce low level information in the signal at the same time as producing the louder parts. That is it can still faithfully reproduce the low level details without being swamped by the higher level signal.

That is how Allen defined it.

dave

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
xrk here is a measurement of a 4" driver that I have. It's not a full range (it's actually a midrange) but I like to push the boundaries so used it as a "full range"

I don't have the details of the measurement except that it was taken outside, there is no gating, and it is 1/12th octave smoothed. It's in a reflex enclosure with small baffle and is showing full baffle step.

I's an SB Acoustics SB12MNRX25-4

actually another measurement (with some explanation) here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...-4-full-range-build-thread-3.html#post3599708

Tony.

Tony, thanks for the measurement. SB Acoustics makes good quality, competitively priced drivers. In fact, their drivers are probably the most value for money out there right now.

Could you repost the measurement with a 50 db scale and 5 db increment lines? That slope up below 1000 Hz looks smooth on your graph, but it's actually a +5db climb. Can be eq'ed no problem, but I want to highlight how a large scale on a graph makes everything looks smooth. The standard setting should be 50 db range and 5 db increments. If you gate all the reflections, you need little to no smoothing. We don't want to lose the details.

Check out Tux's measurements here (the correct amount of resolution):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...udio-alpair-6p-tested-against-each-other.html

Last edited:
Interesting. Could you set a window on the IR in order to remove reflections?

That's what I did. Somewhere around 6.5ms.

There should be a little better resolutions than what xrk can get in his home, as I was outside. Well, my shop which has high ceilings. I could go right outside on a ladder but I don't have those drivers anymore and I wouldn't use them under 150hz anyways.

Hair? You probably mean the 1/4db squiggles. There's not smoothing on those. I know you don't get that in REW even if you select no smoothing, yet REW always produces much smoother graphs for some reason. Partly why I prefer HolmImpulse. I seem to get higher resolution with it. Even if it comes with some unsightly "hair".

That what you mean?

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Once the reflections from the surroundings are gated out, what you get is the actual response. You can look at the Hz between two troughs in the "hair" and figure out how far the reflection is from the center of the driver. Could be baffle related. Anyway, the hair is real, if the other major reflections have been gated out.

Yes, the reflection is gated out. It's merely picking up minute diffraction of the mic clip, or speaker stand, or anything. I suppose a slight bit of the taper in the window could be letting some sneak by, I can't recall. With REW, exact same setup and conditions, these get washed away IME. HolmImpulse seems to be a much higher resolution. Even when measuring compression drivers, you get very high Q little ripples. In Holm I can see these, in REW I find they are all but gone.

A driver can only reproduce an electrical signal. It can not process the meaning of a signal. It's our hearing that can do more because there is a brain.
Seriously, a driver cannot reproduce an electrical signal it can only approximate it. It is a transducer hence imperfect. Therefore we could say there will be a range of interpretations of the electrical signal depending on the driver chosen. Despite measurements the final choice will come down to the listener.

Hence the wide choice available to us. The range of available drivers targeted at a given market is proof of the impossibility of creating the perfect driver.

Byrtt has suggested other drivers for me to test in the future http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...-class-full-range-drivers-15.html#post4233348:

1. Scanspeak Discovery 10F/
2. Fostex FF105WK
3. Visaton B80

Not sure if there has been interest by other folks for the same drivers to be tested with Byrtt's group buy.

Godzilla will soon provide:

4. Tang Band W4-1320xxx

5. Radioshack 4in

And I think one of the most highly regarded 4 inchers should also be included:

6. MA A7.3

If folks have other drivers of interest, please suggest and add to this list...

Thanks to all for very interesting and educating thread.

Regarding more drivers on the table quote myself from #148 below, nobody up till now had same interest and PM'ed, will give it a week to see. For reasons of economy if no one join in a week i order a pair FF105WK shipped to x, rest more expensive ones most wait till i can afford those, actually been involved financing some of the tested ones though not the one that taken so much care and caution to present.

Although I'm skeptical it will happen will still urge planet10 to help with the brand new A7 paper to see if it will clear the table or end as a member said about a driver that put a high frequency whistle on top of every recording, "That driver had to go".

Personal interested to see more drivers this comparison.

1. Scanspeak Discovery 10F/8424G same company group as TC9FD but this one a lot more expensive, could it bring less distortion an area where the brand has some patents.

2. Fostex FF105WK this one i find more interesting than FF85WK which only rated 5 watt where FF105WK is 10 watt 88dB. At same if looking at Rutcho's measurement here Fostex FF-105 WK Loudspeaker Measurements and Information there is sign of even the FR is wriggeled that the polar show EQ guys have chance to linearize by EQ up to 10kHz and maybe further up too. Rutcho has very delicate measurement gear ignore from ~20-50kHz to be shown in this thread.

3. Visaton B80, a famous top performer.

In first place most forget B80 because at present it's in back order at solen.ca.

At madisoundspeakerstore.com i can get a pair of each 10F/8424G and FF105WK included shipping to xrk971 at $US 317,08.
Is there a possibility if i pay $100 that lets say 10 other members have interest sharing the last costs $217,08.
Thought was if 10 other via PM would join that i order and pay hole pack and when arrived xrk971 they pay me via paypal.

Know one driver could fill out the test but think x deserve a pair to have some toys to investigate future box designs.

Be welcome to send PM :).

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
BYRTT, usually Madisound accepts returns no questions asked within 30 days. Drivers could be shipped to X, tested and X can then return them, though he would have to pay shipping both ways. Members could chip in for the shipping. It will be much less than just buying the drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Although I'm skeptical it will happen will still urge planet10 to help with the brand new A7 paper to see if it will clear the table or end as a member said about a driver that put a high frequency whistle on top of every recording, "That driver had to go".

I will not ship drivers for test into the US, but i am happy to loan tuxedocivic drivers if i have them free. Many will have been treated.

I have some customers that really like the A7PeN, and Chris likes them in the MTM FAST. I got an early listen to them, with little break-in and i found the top end to push the edges on any source material that had a HF edge to them. It is not at all like i expected after living with A6p & A10p for some time.

My initial feelings would have them sounding much like the stereotype of a metal cone, whereas i amhappier with the A7.3eN which is closer to the stereo type of a paper driver.

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.