you got secondaries in antiphase

yellow1 to bridge
brown1+yellow2 to CT (GND)
brown2 to bridge

Attachments

• xformer phasing.JPG
    xformer phasing.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 110
The 2 secondary 18 volt windings need to be added together, and guess the sequence of wires should be yellow - red to yellow - red. The red to yellow will be the centre tap, one yellow to either ~ connection, the free red to the other ~.

Sorry Zen Mod, double post...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mooly, interesting, just going by the Hammond rectifier chart, a bi phase rectifier gives 1 to 1 current availability, AC to DC (into a capacitor + load) where as a 4 diode bridge gives 0.6 current availability AC to DC.

You have to look at it in context. The two diode set up assumes the combined total voltage of the windings, so an 18-0-18 transformer is taken as a 36 volt winding (Vdc = 0.707 * Vac) and the single winding is taken as 18 volt (Vdc = 1.414 * vac). Same difference you might say.

Each single winding on its own might be rated at 1 amp for example. So I dc is taken as '1' of the secondary windings ability.

In the our specific example of using two separate 18 volt windings we have them in parallel and so we effectively have made a single 2 amp 18 volt winding. Now because we are using it more efficiently (pulling less current each 10ms from each winding instead of pulling lots of current every 20ms for the two diode version) we can say a current of I dc of '0.62' but that is now of what is effectively a 2 amp winding, not a 1 amp. So 0.62 of 2 is 1.24.

If we were comparing a single 18v 1 amp winding we would be worse off current wise but we have two windings in parallel now.

The higher the peak current (such as in a two diode set up) then the higher the copper losses in the transformer become and because it is I 2 R (where 2 means squared) then they become very significant.

Hope that reads all right :)

This is the power supply I would like to make with the 200va 20v transformer I found for little money. I have to buy the capacitors, are 4 x 15000 uf capacitors enough for 2 channels? I have attached the schematic so you can tell me if it is correct or if there are better solutions.

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 111
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use what is available. The Panasonic power have either been discontinued or soon to be discontinued.

Multicomp pro is the "house brand" of Newark (and its associated companies). I have not had problem with their parts, though you should check the specs to see if you like what you see. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Use what is available. The Panasonic power have either been discontinued or soon to be discontinued.

Multicomp pro is the "house brand" of Newark (and its associated companies). I have not had problem with their parts, though you should check the specs to see if you like what you see. :)
Thanks for sharing your experience about Multicomp pro.
Both R1 and R3 resistors are available with Multicomp pro.
Shall I go for same brand for both or it is fine to mix Vishay and Multicomp for R1 and R3 ?