Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp

PCBs sold vs built are different things. Many people buy PCBs but don't get around to building it. Based on what people post in the threads, I would say there are maybe about 10 to 12 people total so far. I wish it was higher because this is a great sounding amp.

Indeed it is, X. :)

Only 10-12 ANs built ... that is a tragic waste of a great design. :( Summer has arrived but I am still using my AN 4Rs because they sound so much better than my NAKSA 80s!

Andy

I have all the boards but life stuff means I have to prioritise my time elsewhere at the moment. The FQAs should be available again by February and that should hopefully coincide with me having some time to devote to the amp.

I want to try and make sure that I don’t miss anything when placing my order with Mouser and that includes minor hardware bits and pre-terminated wires etc. Compiling the order is not therefore a trivial undertaking !

One FQA is missing in my order too, Mouser had no more. I put in an order for samples from ONsemi too, but they are out as well, but I figured they should be the first to have them..
My plan is to assemble with IRFP's first, and swap them later.
Some other small stuff was missing too, like some connectors, but I think I can get them locally, or even de-solder from some old computers I have..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Wow, it’s like a spacecraft being assembled! Super work, Do. Very impressive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• EDB27106-1A3F-44B8-A259-ED6C48894FAE.jpeg
    EDB27106-1A3F-44B8-A259-ED6C48894FAE.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 695
@zman01, @XRK,

Thanks! the amplifier is actually mostly completed and is playing music now. Only problem is the transformer humming very loudly, so I cannot concentrate on the music... The replacement transformer was supposed to be delivered today, but FedEx reported "operational delays", so it should be delivered next Tuesday... I will post newer pictures shortly. With this amplifier 4 ohms version biased @ 3A, the heatsink get to ~55 Celcius... A little hot, but still good.

@Studley,
For the chassis, a friend of mine (Vitalie on this forum), got them for me about 2-3 years ago... It was a special order. There are some similar chassis (heatsinks) on AliExpress, but not exactly like these though.

Do

Oh yes, this is very special Do!

Beautifully laid out too, so very important with lots of hot parts on a Class A.

Lovely metal work, you are an artisan!

Merry Xmas to you and your family, lets hope you all enjoy your Xmas music!

And again, thank you for the leap of faith, much appreciated from all involved.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh!

I’ve heard your amps a few times, it wasn’t that hard to trust you on this build! ;)

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Do

I have been trying to run some tian sims on the AN, but I must be doing something wrong. I have done this on a number of amps, but this one I can't get to work.
Pics of the sim and plot attached, and I also attached the sim with models etc in the zip.
Could somebody take a look?

Components arrived from Mouser the other day, waiting for the boards now.

Attachments

• AN LG.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 70
  • LG sim.jpg
    LG sim.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 167
  • LG.jpg
    LG.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited: