Aleph J illustrated build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nelson says to use the slow in Class-A PSU. I like them just for the convenience factor.

As for your caps, use whichever fit better. I personally would save the 50V caps for a project that needs the higher voltage rating. Don't forget the inrush suppressor, those are all big caps.

Why do you say overkill of capacitance? I used 0.4f per channel on f5Tv2 and all my FW amps are using 0.4f for a mono PSU setup... As one wise man told me: Whatever makes you sleep better, right ZM? :)

cos 6 x 150.000 µF is 0.9 F and you'll agree that is quite more than 0.4 :smash:

I'm planning to use 6x 150.000uf/35v per channel (monoblock)

PKI, more isn't always better. Did you make some measurements or at least use
PSU designer?
Believe me, I love big PSUs. I have 250 mF each channel on my AJ. That definitely
makes no poor PSU (it's also CRCLC with a shielded 500 VA toroidal). Problems raise
with capacitance though.

BTW, for diodes read this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/12539-high-speed-diodes.html

Thank you all for great answer.
As i read from pass article :

For the caps :
================================
Bigger and heavier is better. Bigger transformers and wires load down less. Big capacitors hold more charge.

Is there such a thing as too big? Certainly there are diminishing returns as we get bigger. When a transformer is delivering 1 watt to a preamp circuit, going from a thousand watt rating to two kilowatts isn't going to buy you much improvement. This consideration is not much of a deterrent to the average audiophile, however.
==================================

I liked the word "diminishing return"
And i agree with it, value for money.
Big is better, but not equal for the value we get.
As for me, I am not buying more caps. I use those big can caps just because I have it before.

For the rectifiers:
=================================
Yeah, sure, rectifiers are important, after all, the AC has to get converted to DC, but I don't like the fast recovery types that some audiophiles have raved about. Fast recovery means that they withstand many amps and volts in a tenth of a few nano-seconds, something we don't see very often on the old 60 Hz AC line. They are essential element in switching power supplies, but for regular "linear" power supplies, I much prefer SLOW diodes, and we create them by placing small capacitor circuits across the diodes, which greatly reduces radiated noise.
==============================================>

This is very helpfull information.
But still, no explanation for the impact to audible.

Maybe it is measurement in tools vs audible(in ear)

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
cos 6 x 150.000 µF is 0.9 F and you'll agree that is quite more than 0.4 :smash:

PKI, more isn't always better. Did you make some measurements or at least use
PSU designer?

Oh, I am ashamed and humiliated now! :)
I know I know. I always think of a music as of modulated power voltage. I know about importance of measurement. Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have much test equipment for proper measurements.

Thanks for the link, I will read it!

PKI, search for PSUD2 (PSU designer) - it's freeware !! Results are often stunning. :)

Thank you all for great answer.
As i read from pass article :

For the caps :
================================
Bigger and heavier is better. Bigger transformers and wires load down less. Big capacitors hold more charge.

Is there such a thing as too big? Certainly there are diminishing returns as we get bigger. When a transformer is delivering 1 watt to a preamp circuit, going from a thousand watt rating to two kilowatts isn't going to buy you much improvement. This consideration is not much of a deterrent to the average audiophile, however.
==================================

I liked the word "diminishing return"
And i agree with it, value for money.
Big is better, but not equal for the value we get.
As for me, I am not buying more caps. I use those big can caps just because I have it before.

For the rectifiers:
=================================
Yeah, sure, rectifiers are important, after all, the AC has to get converted to DC, but I don't like the fast recovery types that some audiophiles have raved about. Fast recovery means that they withstand many amps and volts in a tenth of a few nano-seconds, something we don't see very often on the old 60 Hz AC line. They are essential element in switching power supplies, but for regular "linear" power supplies, I much prefer SLOW diodes, and we create them by placing small capacitor circuits across the diodes, which greatly reduces radiated noise.
==============================================>

This is very helpfull information.
But still, no explanation for the impact to audible.

Maybe it is measurement in tools vs audible(in ear)

This NP article is a buying guide for commercial equipent, not a design guide.
This make a huge difference.
The truth is, most commercial equipment comes with moderate PSU capability.

I just think if caps are reservoir (and we have a very big reservoir) then we need a better and faster tools to get the water filling up the reservoir faster.
But I am not sure rectifiers have Related to this problem.

The main problem besides cost is the vast inrush current. For 0.9 F (900.000 µF)
you need tough rectifier diodes (+ heatsinks) and a soft start circuit to avoid
blowing fuses and rectifier damage.

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
use them all

CLC or CRC

smaller then bigger

So if I have an equal number of 22,000uF and 10,000uF caps for a CRC, it's best to use (2 x 10kuF) -> (R) -> (2 x 22kuF)? (For an aleph-j)

I played around with the duncan amps tool and tried 3 permutations. I thought it was marginally better to have the high caps first. But I'm far from sure I looked at it correctly and I'm sure zen mod is smarter than a piece of software. :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
every software is just smart as man using it
that includes Mighty ZM too , who is pretty dumb regarding any software :rofl:

however - look at voltage and current in xformer and rectifier , not just on end of PSU

If I tell you that my next (proper ) amp will have current through xformer as attached , while needing 33Vac secs for 22Vdc@2A2 , without any sort of active regulation , what you'll think ?

:clown:

Attachments

• xformer current.jpg
    xformer current.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,057

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
every software is just smart as man using it
that includes Mighty ZM too , who is pretty dumb regarding any software :rofl:

however - look at voltage and current in xformer and rectifier , not just on end of PSU

If I tell you that my next (proper ) amp will have current through xformer as attached , while needing 33Vac secs for 22Vdc@2A2 , without any sort of active regulation , what you'll think ?

:clown:

I hate tests, my head hurts, this is stretching my abilities which is good. Looks like if you were to invert the negative part, you'd end up with a slightly asymmetric sine wave that has a +2 DC offset. Am I on the right track? Why is the Vdc lower than the Vac - I thought it should be 1.4 higher before losses.

Tried to play with PSUD2, need your suggestion which one is favourable for dual mono configuration, pro & cons analysis will be much appreciated:
- CLC using 2x18V 225VA
- LCRC using 2x25V 500VA

for C6&C7, anyone try MKC type instead of MKP?

Attachments

• CLC.png
    CLC.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,053
  • LCRC.png
    LCRC.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,043
attached simulation results as ZM advise (previously i was confused with those 2 timing options). am I correct to put I meter @2A? I am using talema encapsulated datasheet information on this simulation. it seems that CLC gives better result as graph shows

Attachments

• CLC.png
    CLC.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 919
  • LCRC.png
    LCRC.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 905
  • PSUD (CLC & LCRC).zip
    592 bytes · Views: 74