Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello All,
Richard (SumR) from Primrose was kind enough to call me this morning with regard to the toroidal I purchased from him. After explaining the issue I was having and the project I was working on, he let me know that he was very aware of the Nelson Pass amplifiers and designs, and he is confident he would have a transformer solution for my needs and would put a new transformer into production for me. Super friendly gentleman and easy to speak to.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
glad to hear

btw. almost foolproof recipe , when ordering custom xformer (not just for custom voltages , but in case when you're ordering something just not being on the shelf) - demand (for instance ) 250VA Donut , made on 300VA core

if you want , make that difference even bigger , taking care of your minimal figure being regular overkill

that way magnetic flux is lesser and less chance of xfrmer buzz

for my understanding - so called "Audio grade" xformers are made in exact that way

however , when having standard xformers already from the shelf , "all" you need is luck

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello All,
Richard (SumR) from Primrose was kind enough to call me this morning with regard to the toroidal I purchased from him. After explaining the issue I was having and the project I was working on, he let me know that he was very aware of the Nelson Pass amplifiers and designs, and he is confident he would have a transformer solution for my needs and would put a new transformer into production for me. Super friendly gentleman and easy to speak to.

I used SUMR 24 x 2 1000 VA in my BA3 power amp, cant tell if it is on or not, sooo quiet!

Russellc

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello All,
Just an update on my Aleph J build. As promised by Richard at Primrose, a new transformer was delivered to me free of charge. The new one was thicker and heavier, with an epoxy centre. Richard was great to deal with, a stand up guy who stands behind his products.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Now for my Aleph J build review. After installing the new transformer into the chassis, I warmed up the amp and double checked the bias and offset, all was spot on. I hooked up my speakers, a vintage pair of JBL L150's (with a sensitivity of 89db), and powered up the Aleph J. The source is currently the dac from my Apple airport express (connected directly to the amp inputs) streaming music via Ethernet or air-played from my iPhone.

I sat down to listen to some of my favourite songs, and others I use as "reference" when listening to audio equipment. At first the sound seemed a little bright compared to what I've been accustomed to hearing from my speakers, but I continued to flip through songs and listened carefully. After about an hour things began to change. The music seemed much fuller, warmer. So I went back and started listening to the same songs I'd started off with.... what a difference!!! I cannot begin to explain how good the same tracks now sounded! It seems that the J likes a little warm up time, at least in my case. Those 25watts of Class A power sound much bigger than I'd expected, and play excellently with my JBL's. Playing "As hope and promise fade" from Chris Cornell's acoustic Songbook cd placed me right in the middle of the concert hall as if I was right there... Amazing. Thanks Mr. Pass for providing all of us with an amazing amplifier, and to everyone at the DiyAudio site that puts in so much effort to give guidance and advice (big shout outs to 6L6 for his build guides, and Zen Mod) to diy'ers to make audiophile grade gear that lives way past our expectations!

Now what to build next???? :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's wonderful news! It's great to hear the transformer issue has been
resolved and your amp is up and running.

I would suggest just running and enjoying it for a while and then recheck the bias and offset.

Congratulations on your new Aleph-J.

Cheers,
Dennis

PS. +1 on M2.

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
JSA: That is great news. Dennis Hui gave some good advice. When I first ran my AlephJ, I also came directly out of a DAC. Eventually, I built a Gyrator loaded Son of ZV9 preamp, which has some gain (using a 10K pot), and the AlephJ sounded even better than coming from the DAC alone. Do not ask me to explain why. 6L6 has commented that he likes using the BA3 preamp which has some gain. There are others. Maybe the next biggest bang for your buck will be one of those preamp builds.

Hi all,
Just finished my Aleph J's: revised with some extra heat sinking (double...) and capacitance (now 220.000uF/channel).

It's alive... and they sound nice.

The bias is raised to 470mV (this is the highest I can get it with the pot... anyone know how to get it to, let's say 500mV?; the heatsinks seem to allow for a higher bias).

Attachments

• WP_20170629_19_21_42_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20170629_19_21_42_Pro_LI.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 541
  • WP_20170629_19_23_46_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20170629_19_23_46_Pro_LI.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 532
  • WP_20170629_19_25_58_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20170629_19_25_58_Pro_LI.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 529