Aleph J build guide for noobs

Joined 2019
Paid Member
:) Leave your terminal strip alone until you get your thermistors.

Amp board:

Did you fix the input jumpers?

I don't see anything to electrically isolate your MOSFETs from your heatsinks. It could be there. I just can't see it. What did you use?

Only one board wired to the PSU? It's advised to test one at a time.

Per 6L6 earlier - don't move the pots if you haven't already.

Read 6L6's first couple posts in his build guide re: set up and bias. Follow that. I recommend not doing anything further until you feel like you understand it. If not, I'd wait for the guide the OP is completing.

Aleph J illustrated build guide

Top pic is with inputs/speakers plugged in. Bottom, without. LED's lit in bottom.

Back at it tomorrow and it's got to be something simple.

Attachments

• 2020-12-06 10.53.30.jpg
    2020-12-06 10.53.30.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2020-12-06 10.54.18.jpg
    2020-12-06 10.54.18.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 138
Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ :nod:

Each amp board needs V+ and V-. Connections in upper left and upper right of the boards in your picture. Three wires for each board to PSU. V+, V-, and GND.

6L6 - I've never used the LTP bias pot. I use fixed 1kR. Is 500R (If I'm reading if correctly) pot ok there? Assuming factory set at 250R? I thought 2k needed to be there set to mid point, but lower may be okay. Out of my depth on that.

Edited to add - If I were in your place, after adding the GND from each amp board to the PSU, I would reset all my pots to mid-point before applying power again. Someone else should confirm if that's necessary / advised. Then I would rebias / renull offset.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you have a pot at the R7 position for DC offset adjustment, there really isn't
a need for R8 to be adjustable and going with a fixed 1K resistor there gives you
a nice known bias current value for the LTP. (Of course, silly me didn't do that
in my build, but since my AJ is working fine, I'm not going to open it up just for
that.)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Nope. Any of them will do.

After coffee, confirm understanding above re: your plans for the LTP bias pot. I can tell you that fixed 1k resistors are common instead of a 2k pot, but both would work.

What I can't tell you is if a max of 500R at that location is enough or if only having 250R (assuming pot at midpoint) at startup may cause issues. That's out of my depth. Dennis and 6L6 confirmed the preferred values from my previous post. Thanks guys! What has yet to be confirmed is if it will function properly the way you have it.

Just check also to see if I read that pot value correctly. My vision is not great, but I think I saw "501" => 500R

Others could chime in to confirm if it will work or if you need to change it before attempting to bias / null offset again. That's out of my depth re: circuit knowledge.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited: