• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

After a 14 year run, the TSE must DIE!

I bought the TSE-II board because Tubelab said I could get information from this forum.

This morning, I read opinions about the 737 Max airplane. Nothing to do with DIY audio, but lots of opinions. I don't think Boeing will search this forum for info on their airplane.

Hey...

Duke, is it the schematic or pictures of the pcb, where you can see howto attach the testpoints / voltmeter's etc.. you want to see ???

I could help you i suppose :)

Jesper.

I like pictures/drawings.

Any reason I can't ground a TSE-II like this?

Wiring Diagrams | Tubelab

Are you referring to the ground section in the middle of that page?
Looks like its basically what I did on my TSE.

I used a wire brush attached to a drill to scrap the paint off of my transformer feet to attach a ground wire to. I have a wooden chassis, so I had to wire up everything. If your transformers are mounted to metal, you still need to scrap off paint where the transformers mount. Paint is non conductive.

Make sense?

Randy

Yes, that's what I was looking for! Thanks all for your replies.

At the end of the day, I know that I can connect wires and see how it works.

This is a high voltage amp, potentially lethal, so handle with care.

As such, proper grounding is very important. Check your grounds with a meter, make sure everything that should be is really grounded.

I did just realize my inductor bodies are not grounded, but they are also buried inside my chassis so do not pose a safety issue.

One thing that is mentioned in the manual, and I remember from my first boss, is when you work on high voltage, keep one hand behind your back, or in your pocket, somewhere away from the amp.
You don't want high voltage to go through your body. If you only have one hand in the amp, there is no way for the voltage to get through it.

Hi here again.

I feel stupid that i asked if i could make my own pcb, without even thinking what the "consequences" could be. -I am really sorry for this.
George proberly used 100xhours designing this and selling it at a very nice price, just can't
being justified for me to just make my own sry.
I am embarrassed, but done is done.
I also wrote this to George via Email

I just ordred the PCB and all i can say is that i'am looking forward to buld this amp. this winther.

Jesper.

Hi all - I am looking to make some progress on my amp over the Thanksgiving weekend. I am building it in a 5U Pesante enclosure, how does this general arrangement of the major components on the base plate look?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 509
This is a "Simple Single" from Landfall Systems.
They have a page where you can calculate the price:
Landfall Systems

My order was: 2 sides, 1 front, 1 rear and 1 top.
No bottom plate, but 4 corner "feet".
Dimensions: 15.5" x 11.75" x 3.25"

The price was about $160 + shipping, out of which $25 was the top drilling and $15 was the rear drilling. To me, that felt like a bargain as the equivalent top plate alone was close to $100 at FPE.
Dave from Landfall is super helpful over email with any and all questions.

??? Toroidal cores to tube output

Hi here :)

So i'am gathering information's regarding the transformers which i have to buy.
I asked Toroidy the following quistions (they told me in previous mail, that load regulation is ~12-15%) :

One more important thing. If voltage regulation is say 12%, will the voltage then drop to 286 - 0 - 286 ? at full load ?

Also i asked them if the TTG-KT88SE - Tube output UL transformer [3kohm] KT88 / 300B (See link) are DC tolerant as SE's are known of. TTG-KT88SE - Tube output UL transformer [3kOhm] KT88 / 300B SE - Shop Toroidy.pl

I will post they're answer when i get it.

I tried finding the load regulations on typical EIcore transformers for tubes, but cannot find anything, maybe some here knows anything?

Ahh... one more thing, i would like to know if the spec. on thoose OPT are as we expect them to be ?

Technical data
Intended for Single Ended
Core type Toroidal
Ultralinear tap 43%
Nominal Power 40W
Nominal anode current 250mA
Frequency bandwidth (-3dB) 10 Hz - 56 kHz
Secondary Impedance 4 and 8 Ω
Primary Impedance 3,0 kΩ
Turns Ratio (Np:Ns) 27,39:1 (4Ω) , 19,36:1 (8Ω)
Primary Inductance Lp 39,5 H
Primary Leakage Inductance Lsp 10,88 mH
Total Primary DC Resistance 85,4 Ω
Effective Primary Capacitance 7,6 nF
Dimensions (standard) 115 mm (OD) x 65 mm (h), weight: 2,5 kg
Dimensions EXPO 120 mm (OD) x 80 mm (h), weight: 4,4 kg

Jesper.

Also i asked them if the TTG-KT88SE - Tube output UL transformer [3kohm] KT88 / 300B (See link) are DC tolerant as SE's are known of. TTG-KT88SE - Tube output UL transformer [3kOhm] KT88 / 300B SE - Shop Toroidy.pl

Jesper.

Hi Jesper, I am using the EL34 equivalents from Toroidy, TTG-EL34SE, 40W rated and 3.2k raa.

I am not blessed with the best possible speakers - I have Canton bookshelf speakers which are not so efficient @ 85 dB - but I was very happy with the sound across the whole frequency range.

Rgds, Richard

Thanks for the input itsikhefez and Evenharmonics, I have drilled the base plate to allow both orientations of the transformers (as pictured in post #567 and all transformers rotated 90 degrees). I have assembled as pictured and will rotate if needed.

I have another question - in the thread linked below, George indicates that R36 could be mounted off board and a chassis mount resistor could be used to keep heat off the board.

R36 is a resistor, it has bypass caps on both ends, you can mount it on wires in the next zip code and it won't matter. If you are going to mount R36 off board, use the 150 volt zener for D6 to put more heat into R36, and less into the mosfets. Make R36 a 10 watt part. That removes the biggest heat source from the board. Use one of those gold anodized chassis mount resistors and you put the heat into the chassis, not the board.

I would like to do this, but the chassis mounted resistors that I am finding are wire wound. Is a wire wound resistor ok for R36?

TSE-II Heat Sinks

Hi.

Csample, i'am pretty sure R36 is only part of powersupply so it won't matter if it's wirewound; someone told me long ago it could be even better with such resistors in psu as they also act's a bit of a coil/inductor.

Well Toroidy gave me answer yesterday regarding theyre torids.
He tell me that the output ones having an airgab accepting & dc tolerant for SE tube's... Nice :)
The output torids are 106eur with 5kOhm and 83,5eur the 3kOhm version.

I asked for price for both 250mA 325-0-325 (250VA) & 325-0-325 200mA (200mA)... Both of them 5V@3A & 3.15-0-3.15@5A
The 250VA's are 108eur while the 200VA's 99eur, i think the bigger ones are worth the extra 9eur?

Jesper.

Hi here :)

So i'am gathering information's regarding the transformers which i have to buy.
I asked Toroidy the following quistions (they told me in previous mail, that load regulation is ~12-15%) :

I will post they're answer when i get it.

I tried finding the load regulations on typical EIcore transformers for tubes, but cannot find anything, maybe some here knows anything?

Ahh... one more thing, i would like to know if the spec. on thoose OPT are as we expect them to be ?

Technical data
Intended for Single Ended
Core type Toroidal
Ultralinear tap 43%
Nominal Power 40W
Nominal anode current 250mA
Frequency bandwidth (-3dB) 10 Hz - 56 kHz
Secondary Impedance 4 and 8 Ω
Primary Impedance 3,0 kΩ
Turns Ratio (Np:Ns) 27,39:1 (4Ω) , 19,36:1 (8Ω)
Primary Inductance Lp 39,5 H
Primary Leakage Inductance Lsp 10,88 mH
Total Primary DC Resistance 85,4 Ω
Effective Primary Capacitance 7,6 nF
Dimensions (standard) 115 mm (OD) x 65 mm (h), weight: 2,5 kg
Dimensions EXPO 120 mm (OD) x 80 mm (h), weight: 4,4 kg

Jesper.

I don't know if the current rating of these output transformers will be a problem, but it seems high relative to the capability and normal operating range of the 300B (100mA max and 60-80mA commonly used). Do toroidal transformers need to be rated higher than EI core transformers to prevent low frequency saturation? Are there negative effects of having an output transformer that is too large? Hopefully someone more knowledgable can provide some insight.

Hi Jesper, I am using the EL34 equivalents from Toroidy, TTG-EL34SE, 40W rated and 3.2k raa.

I am not blessed with the best possible speakers - I have Canton bookshelf speakers which are not so efficient @ 85 dB - but I was very happy with the sound across the whole frequency range.

Rgds, Richard

Nice Richart; which amp are you using, how much output power?

I don't know if the current rating of these output transformers will be a problem, but it seems high relative to the capability and normal operating range of the 300B (100mA max and 60-80mA commonly used). Do toroidal transformers need to be rated higher than EI core transformers to prevent low frequency saturation? Are there negative effects of having an output transformer that is too large? Hopefully someone more knowledgable can provide some insight.

Csample i tried comparing the data with the Edcor's and Elektra-prints but donno which parameters are most important? - Also i hope that some "experts" can chime in here :)

I can get the Edcor's xse or gsxe's from a German distributer, but the torids are only 25eur (27,5$) more each, looking at the sheets tells me, that them torids proberly have more "bottom-end" than the Edcors do.

I didn't order any yet, so opinion and like are surely most wanted :eek:

Rgds; Jesper.