Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Success!

1687734244328.png

I think this has the potential to become the easiest DIY construction method by far.
- Now to print ribs for joints and it will be already usable. This is SUNLU PLA META and it doesn't ring at all. Too bad it seems discontinued now. It is perfect, strong, doesn't warp and it was dirt cheap. I only have maybe 8 spools left... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Mabat, try using Fusion's metal bending tool to generate a flat surface template, that you can then print flat and use as a template to cut paper, masonite or anything.
I've considered making a negative of just the inside of one of those pieces, but the curvature didn't help. I guess with flat pieces it should be easier.
module1.png
module3.png

Maybe it's even possible to print the pieces thin flat down on the bed and bend back when they are printed.
Using some "ears" with bolt holes.

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That was my first intention, to print a template (on paper) and cut it, it's no problem to generate it directly from the program (e.g. as a pdf via gnuplot). But now I already have all I need, I think - the printed sheet is fine. It's just less laborious this way.

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't get the 3 fin duct to replicate. Then I realized the first 3 fin plug I printed had a gap between the end of the plug and the start of the waveguide due to a combination of slicer settings and excess plumbers putty I placed on the surface of the compression driver to act as a gasket surface. So I printed an empty duct (no fins) but a shorter plug. After slicer adjustments it created a 7/64ths inch gap (2.77mm) between the end of the plug and the waveguide - the gap is a little over 2mm deep from the plug's inner diameter surface to the DE250's conical exit. The gap on that original 3 fin plug was just pure luck.

The fins create some level of impedance but the bulk of the work was done by the gap, aka Earl Geddes' Throat Tickler.

I attached the REW MDAT files.

P3.png

Gap_2.77mm.png

PXL_20230625_193456623.jpg

Attachments

• Gap_2.77mm.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 29
The truth is that the previous results were a bit hard to comprehend. So this is all just alchemy. Hmm, a pity.

Thanks for the follow-up!
Yep. It's all been guess and check meshed with my ignorance. We know it can potentially work but can't simulate it. I'm going to try to adjust the nodes like you showed me on the rear portion for the compression driver. But the nodes are just two points for the throat so I need to figure out how to add more in that section so I can move them inside the throat.