Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

- This is the idea. And of course I will try some vanes in the throat, now that we see what it can do...

760-1.jpg
760-2.jpg
760-3.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
The ability to segment the horns like that is extremely nice for both construction and cosmetic reasons.
Yea, and I still wonder about the best material. Could be flexi plywood, sheet metal or even (laminated) paper. I'd like metal, aluminum or brass, but need to try what thickness I'm still able to bend without too much struggle...

I already have the petal template:

1686942737170.png

Yea, and I still wonder about the best material. Could be flexi plywood, sheet metal or even (laminated) paper. I'd like metal, aluminum or brass, but need to try what thickness I'm still able to bend without too much struggle...

I already have the petal template:

View attachment 1184065
Thin MDF would be my guess. It could be CNC routed/milled for the overall shape, and also have internal alignment slots cut in that match up with a backup shaping guide (you bend the petal onto the curve of the backup shaping guide and the mortises/slots help keep the petal aligned during fit-up).

PR: Duct with 3 outer rings
PM: Failed 3D print of the PR
PB: Bump in center reducing duct from 18mm to 13 mm.

First PR print failed and made a spider web mess inside the duct so I decided to measure it.

PR.png PM.png PB.png

Attachments

• PXL_20230617_003606003.jpg
    PXL_20230617_003606003.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 90
  • PB.JPG
    PB.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 80
  • PR.JPG
    PR.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 77
  • STLs.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: 1 user
Do the fins/veins need to exist across the entire wavefront? E.g. is the effectiveness seen more at the waveguide wall or in the center?
And could this be use to partially overcome the fin density issue blocking up the throat, with more 'finage' in the centre or side wall?
Don't they form a phase plug? In relation to surface, the fins occlude much more space in the center and increase the path length.

Think of the fins as paper-thin. That would represent their primary effect. The thickness will have an efect, probably mostly unwanted, but that should be only secondary. Of course it's better to add as few of them as necessary.

From what I gathered it's important to really divide the internal volume. Leaving them unconnected in the center would probably not work as good (my guess).

Although, you wouldn't need to worry about the shell unless you're interested in printing it for your own DE250. I can put an STL into the shell. Anything 18mm in diameter and no longer than 19.68mm long. It is 19.68mm long due to the 3D printer slicing at 0.12 mm resolution. It would change a little with different layer heights. But I can adjust for that.

Now a little bit off-topic but perhaps interesting. I'm putting together my measuring equipment and quickly tried the open baffle I'm working on, placed temporarily in my living room. I was curious so I compared it to a common-construction speaker, the Indiana Line DJ 310, both measured ~2m away at ~1m height, without any gating.

The black curve is the DJ 310, the blue and green curves are the OB (just the raw woofer) in a bit different position (distance from the wall, IIRC):

ob18.jpg
1687458930000.png

Reactions: 1 users