Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

What, ripple tank in 3D?:D Nice!
Yeah. There are many ways to look at this in BabylonJS. I can fill the waveguide space with 100 million GPU particles and then apply a pink noise vibration to the mouth. Quick example of a block moving through through a point cloud. Gives you an idea of where I'm heading.

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#UI95UC#21
I'll start a new thread I think. The app is quite mature now.

Fascinating. If one now could see in real time the effect of the sliders in your standard report (e.g. 39-48.png above) it would be a fun excersie :)

//
While the sims probably take some time not to have it exactly real time this kind of thing should be possible on browser. Both desmos and matlab/octave have API. I have no idea how much work it would be :D probably at least few evenings worth + expensive server to get performance up, or use localhost.

Fascinating. If one now could see in real time the effect of the sliders in your standard report (e.g. 39-48.png above) it would be a fun excersie :)

//
I've envisioned this too and am trying (struggling) with MMM in python/cupy to run stuff on the gpu. My CPU is not that powerful and parallel (optimization) does not work (at least out of the box) in Octave.

Still some bugs to resolve with the waveguide curves / rendering.

Attachments

• capture.gif
    capture.gif
    8.2 MB · Views: 79
Remember that in your case it's an infinite baffle simulation and that the DI will be higher towards low frequencies when placed in an enclosure. If there's a midrange narrowing in an infinite baffle, it probably will get worse in a finite baffle. So I wouldn't try for the flatter DI.

That's one of the reasons I like free-standing horns - one can easily simulate and optimize the real free-space performance without the need to model an enclosure. Besides that they work like a charm.

Last edited:
Tweaking GCurve.Dist = 0.39 / 0.41 / 0.43 (animated gif)
Is it possible to have this sort of optimization happen with a baffled device, maybe even a box with roundovers?

I still have the problem with a waveguide I had been simulating for many hours. Recently, fluid was so kind and made the effort to do a limited simulation in a baffle with ABEC. I needed to see how the performance changes on on a baffle. Drastically so. This showed to me that it is rather useless to optimize a baffled waveguide without regard to the diffraction effects generated by the box itself. Its impacts are too severe. Is it possible to do it with your new "API"?

edit: mabats cross post underscores the demand for such a solution