Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used a simple method recommended to me by Joerg Panzer (author of ABEC), i.e. utilized a flat (mathematical) surface at the rear side of the waveguide, as if it was flat on the back side. The whole back-side surface of the actual horn could be modeled as well, I just don't consider it practical or very relevant.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fs-mesh.png
    fs-mesh.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:
So, I have my first free-standing simulation ever :)...

The difference between the infinite baffle and freestanding curves looks to be very similar to the difference in my data:

857243d1593661263-acoustic-horn-design-easy-ath4-simulated_vs_measured-png

So it seems that the simulations and reality agree. Obviously the conditions are not exactly the same (freestanding vs cabinet), but the results are similar nonetheless.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you try something like the attached, you'll see that it will be more cd
Here you go. Would you consider it "more CD"? I'm not sure I would.

It is clear that reducing the flare radius is not a good idea - and this was already too much, IMHO. I could have told you right away but you wouldn't believe me :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• kees-mesh.png
    kees-mesh.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 86
  • kees-polars.png
    kees-polars.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 789
  • kees-pmap.png
    kees-pmap.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 85
I have plenty of those :) That would be great. Attached are some designs (full ABEC projects) I would be especially interested in -

Well, here is a first figure of "full spherical" DI of "OS-1" horn from your uploaded folder. Spatial resolution is 5 degrees. I will try to upload at least one DI graph per day. (sorry for the annoying watermark, but it is added automatically :D)

I have also depicted DI of this Lecleach-Iwata horn for comparison.

DI rises at the rate of ~2dB/oct for the Lecleach-Iwata horn and a bit less that 1dB/oct for Mabat's "OS-1".

It would be interesting to look at the frequency dependence of random-incidence absorption of a typical listening room. I suppose, that It would be reasonable to optimize horn shape in a such way, that frequency dependence of DI compensate that of room absorption :scratch2:.

Attachments

• os-1 mabats.png
    os-1 mabats.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DI.png
    DI.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited: