Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

The frequency response of the midrange is a tradeoff between how deep in the horn the holes are (loading by the horn) and how big the chamber/port size and length are.
It's basically a miniature 4-th order bandpass subwoofer design
Does Horn Response allow you to simulate that with these ATH waveguides? Or is there a standard horn shape that is close enough to an ATH waveguide for simulation?

Does Horn Response allow you to simulate that with these ATH waveguides? Or is there a standard horn shape that is close enough to an ATH waveguide for simulation?
I think the better way to do it is to model the driver and port (bandpass) as a lumped element coupled to a driver element the size of the port like shown in this post. This roughly equivalent to what Horesp can do except directly in ABEC with the exact shape created in Ath.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...bandpass-mid-in-unity-horn.88237/post-4152484

You can see in the output graph the bandpass peak and cancellation notch in the output on the blue trace.

1671487928189.png

That can be done with an Ath horn model with a little bit of CAD work and some ABEC understanding, or maybe this is another thing that mabat wants to automate to remove that barrier to entry? :)

Reactions: 1 user
I've been able to more or less figure out horns with circular throat, but have some issues with the "Horn.Adapter" command trying to get a rectangular throat with this mouth profile.

Code:
;-----------------------------
;--Horn Throat and Coverage---

Horn Geometry = 2            
Length = 100    

Horn.Adapter = {
Width = 28 ; [mm]
Height = 50 ; [mm]
Segments = 1
}

;---Mouth Terminating Flare---

Term.s = 0.7
Term.n = 4.0
Term.q = 0.996

;-------Horn Morphing---------

Morph.TargetShape = 0             ; 0 = no morphing (the default)

;-------Mouth Profile---------
GCurve.Type = 2             ; superformula
GCurve.SF = 1.6,1,4,6.93,4.8,4.9    ; values of a,b,m,n1,n2,n3
GCurve.Width = 155            ; width on x-axis for Desmos profile[mm]
GCurve.Dist = 0.5             ; half the length

;---Model Mesh Resolution-----

Mesh.AngularSegments = 120
Mesh.LengthSegments = 20
Mesh.ThroatResolution = 4.0         ; [mm]
Mesh.InterfaceResolution = 8.0         ; [mm]
Mesh.InterfaceOffset = 5.0         ; [mm]

;--ABEC Analysis Parameters---

ABEC.SimType = 1             ; 1 = infinite baffle
ABEC.f1 = 800                ; [Hz]
ABEC.f2 = 20000             ; [Hz]
ABEC.NumFrequencies = 40
ABEC.MeshFrequency = 25000         ; [Hz]

;-ABEC Observation Parameters-

ABEC.Polars.Distance = 2.5 ; [m]
ABEC.Polars.Step = 7.5 ; [deg]
ABEC.Polars.Points = 8
ABEC.Polars.Horizontal = yes
ABEC.Polars.Vertical = yes
ABEC.Polars.Diagonal = yes
ABEC.Polars.DiagonalInclination = 0.0

;-----Output Parameters-------

Output.STL = 1
Output.ABECProject = 1

o.k.
but why so complicate, it is nesessary?

my idea, combine
http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104&osCsid=dfejvb4qbm5ana63se7m8fk055
with
https://peaveycommercialaudio.com/w...atic-Throat-Waveguide-by-Charles-E-Hughes.pdf

you know, what I mean,
use a conical horn with adapting the tweeter like Hughes
and you have plane walls for the midrange

anotheridea,
it is usefull to use Tectonics BMR for Midrange, because the membran is flat?

Last edited:
Hi fluid,

thanks for the hint. Looked around in the Abec examples....tons of variations but not directly what I need. Could you or someone please just give me a example of a 24db/oct LR high or lowpass for a driver group? I know is maybe a too simple issue for asking here but I struggle with it as in any example there are many other things implemented, too. So I cannot directly see what is the simple part I need.

Thank you! :)

BTW, I tried to simulate a throat extension plug (bridging over the driver's conical exit section) for FANE CD131, which is quite a nice 1" driver. It has a 3-slot phase plug ending at ⌀16 mm and 30° conical exit. Extending the waveguide profile down to the phase plug ending, these are the results for a ⌀320 x 120 mm free standing waveguide based on the latest advancements:

attachment.php
Hi Marcel,
I'm trying to make version of ST260 with an insert plug that goes inside compression driver conical exist section but I haven't been able to come up with settings to achieve it with ATH. How do you make plug that has curvature to it, how to extend the R-OSSE profile all the way through the plug as well? Throat.ext parameters seem to always make a conical section to the profile. There is numerous references to this in the thread by you, perhaps its something that is not documented? Guiding curve? Thanks!

Last edited:
How do you make plug that has curvature to it, how to extend the R-OSSE profile all the way through the plug as well?
Assuming you have a driver that makes it feasible, a good approach is to set a0=0 and increase k (the throat expansion factor) until the waveguide fits into the driver (you can do that because you start with a smaller throat). Sometimes it helps to add a small lenght of a straight extension but that's basically counter to what you are trying to achieve.

Reactions: 1 user