Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Like this, 10 years ago?

Attachments

• D7A4FFAF-5660-49CF-9E01-46F49039E9F4.gif
    D7A4FFAF-5660-49CF-9E01-46F49039E9F4.gif
    49 KB · Views: 287
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's best to watch this live, there's quite a lot going on there - just open the attached code in #7311 (ripple_code.txt) in the Ripple Tank applet. Unfortunately, as discussed earlier, some of it will be "real" but some may be just artefacts of the simulation and you may never know which is which. That's the reason I haven't pursued it any furher.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
These are all the "higher order stuff" (including reflections) originating from mismatched wavefront curvatures or along curved walls. This is clearly seen from the progression of the wave.

Attachments

• ripple-20210710-0858.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 45
  • ripple-D1.PNG
    ripple-D1.PNG
    225.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe the ultimate WG is not "open" but a body of mesh/foam that is structure wrt density and shape to create wave guidance. Like you barely can see through it really and perhaps with some, hopefully mostly resistive, linear loss but with very low reflections and very controlled dispersion... multi-cell (10000?) on steroids...

3D printable?

//

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think all of this is actually of very low level in the better waveguides so maybe it's not an issue after all. I personally haven't heard the effect of the foam plug in the waveguides I tried it in - at least not something I would be able to tell instantly. But I don't listen very loud as, I'm sure, some people do - perhaps it gets more audible at higher levels, that's what I didn't try.

The foam does the trick simply by damping more what has to travel longer path through it (then the question is how much is that really effective).

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This wasn't really clear to me until now - how there could be a continuum when the coverage angle approaches a flat baffle. What I didn't realize was that there's a secondary radiation on the edge of a baffled piston as well - it's not a point source. Now it's so obvious :shy:

OS throat: 30 - 60 - 90 - 120 - 150 - flat baffle

Attachments

• ripple_180.PNG
    ripple_180.PNG
    127.2 KB · Views: 112
  • ripple_150.PNG
    ripple_150.PNG
    128.7 KB · Views: 423
  • ripple_120.PNG
    ripple_120.PNG
    142.7 KB · Views: 430
  • ripple_90.PNG
    ripple_90.PNG
    258 KB · Views: 392
  • ripple_60.PNG
    ripple_60.PNG
    290 KB · Views: 407
  • ripple_30.PNG
    ripple_30.PNG
    183.8 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
^^yep, the more panel around the driver the more interference and delayed sound to the listening window was my conclusion from baffle diffraction experiments :) if narrow enclosure is not possible, roundovers /slants should start as close to the radiator as possible for minimum baffle diffraction problems.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
- As we discussed phase plugs and the standing waves inside the compression cavity (and utilization of this knowledge for positioning the slits), can anyone imagine how to measure where the nodes actually are in a real driver?

Perhaps some measurement jig with a pressure probe could be used in the place of the phase plug, I don't know. Most probably this would be quite a tedious task. But possible?

Last edited: