Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's noticeably less clean for 2" throat (here at 10 kHz).

Attachments

• 2inch-10kHz.PNG
    2inch-10kHz.PNG
    198.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 2inch-10kHz-grad.PNG
    2inch-10kHz-grad.PNG
    204.7 KB · Views: 271
What you are seeing are near field effects. What is more interesting is the far field and that is not obvious from the coarse near field plots.

The problem with an angled wall is called spatial aliasing and it occurs when the wavelength become comparable to the feature size (staircase approximation to an angled wall.) Lower the frequency or increase the spatial resolution and this will go away.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
... Lower the frequency or increase the spatial resolution and this will go away.
This is a hard-to-overcome problem when driven with a short pulse, isn't it. That was my idea, to observe how a short pulse propagates through the device and see what other waves emerge along the way. This would expose very clearly, IMHO, all the internal diffractions and higher modes, which are otherwise buried pretty deep under the fundamental (when driven with a sine wave, for example).

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I want to see how the higher order duct modes develop in the waveguide. I have already simulated that via BEM in ABEC.

Here's the mode (0,2) - if the frequency is low enough, the source wavefront doesn't really matter. Unfortunately, I can't go much higher because of the "spatial aliasing" problem.

Attachments

• 0,2-0.PNG
    0,2-0.PNG
    290.3 KB · Views: 258
  • ripple-20210709-1230.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The same for a lower frequency -
Now I start to recognize the pattern - it's the deviation of the resulting wavefront from spherical that one should look at - that's where are the polars observed (i.e. on a circle around the source). That will make the "lobes" and the switching of polarity we saw in the far field polars.

Attachments

• 0,2-fast-2.PNG
    0,2-fast-2.PNG
    342.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 0,2-slow-2.PNG
    0,2-slow-2.PNG
    321.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited: