Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I don't have a Windows computer and for some reason I couldn't get it to work in Parallels and gave up.
I used Virtual box when I had a Mac and for programs like this that are not CPU intensive it worked a treat. I had a couple of old programs that would only work with XP so I had a version of that too. You only need enough hard drive space for the OS and a little bit more as you can access all the files on your other drive as if it was on a network.

closed account
Joined 2007
That's one of the reasons I'd opt for a larger driver that can be used lower in frequency. With a large mouth flare (doesn't necessarily imply a larger waveguide) there's almost no midrange narrowing and I don't think that the "sparkle" has any connection with a frequency response extension to 20 kHz.

My favourite approach is 2" driver into a horn/WG and then top it with a super tweeter, possibly quite steeply filtered (4th order Bessel high pass - yes Bessel has a bit of ripple but who cares at around 16K, but it has no phase rotation at the cut frequency). if I really need that sparkle.

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• 20210216_150345-2.jpg
    20210216_150345-2.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 20210216_160943-2.jpg
    20210216_160943-2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 20210216_163634-2.jpg
    20210216_163634-2.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
[...] we commonly see 2 inch drivers are not capable of exceeding useful output past 14kHz.

Who cares? You can use 2" drivers starting from lower frequencies than 1" frequencies, so you can get a better coverage of the core frequency range (mids to the treble). Then you can add a sharply filtered super tweeter if you really need the top treble (I use a Visaton TL16-H with a 4th order Bessel at 16K to cover 16K-35K, even though at about 2db less than the rest - it gives perfect air without harshness).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm no experienced printer, so I can't really compare. This is my first, it was cheap and I supose it's nowhere as good as the more expensive stuff. But the only thing I had to do was to rectify the axes a bit (drill a bit bigger holes, etc.), otherwise it simply prints what I need. No issues but maybe you have to be lucky about a particular piece, I don't know.

I think one belt is too loose but I always forget to fix that.

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
I'm thinking about releasing the code as an open source (C++ classes) - I'd love to see it implemented with a proper GUI and a real-time visualization of the waveguide being designed. Initially I thought that I will be able to write it myself but now I see I'm really not as it takes much more time than I'm actually willing to give it (now, after I have finally found my waveguide!). Would there be any volunteers to make this happen?

I can help with porting to other operating systems (even if just for the CLI version).

closed account
Joined 2007
Tritonia in vertical and diagonal (infinite baffle):

I wonder how a Tritonia would work with a coaxial driver, such as the B&C DCX50 (of the newer DCX462/464). Is there a reason such a driver would not work? The DCX50, for instance, has a minuscule cone for the tweeter inside.

What I really like is the shallow depth. This would allow the waveguide to be flush with the rest of a cabinet and almost get time alignment between a woofer and the driver...