Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good question!

Waterfall?

//
Yeah, that may be the way to inspect it -

So who knows? :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• sandhorn_csd.png
    sandhorn_csd.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 695
  • sandhorn_sonogram.png
    sandhorn_sonogram.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried the CDX1-1425 but the high-pass response itself drowns this out. Because of this a whole full range loudspeaker should be measured. Anyway, it tells a bit, at least what is due to the drivers.

Faital HF108 (again):

attachment.php

CDX1-1425:

attachment.php

Attachments

• HF108_CSD.png
    HF108_CSD.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 430
  • CDX1-1425_CSD.png
    CDX1-1425_CSD.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 450
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I know the spectra of the "ringing" when tapped intentionally, that's not a problem to see on RTA. What I don't know is to what degree are these modes excited during playback, i.e. to what degree this is a real problem for the resulting sound quality (it definitely doesn't sound like resonating when played a sound).

Maybe a way around this would be to damp the waveguide somehow and try to find the differences, I don't know.

I don't see how you guys are concluding that the waveguide doesn't ring. I see two dominate resonances at about the same frequencies (the two drivers have different weights) which certainly could be waveguide resonances and both do affect the direct response. Both show dips and then ringing - a clear sign of energy being drawn off to the resonance and then dissipated through radiation.

As to the audibility, well, that's another question without answers. But my approach has always been to try and reduce all sources of aberration - a fairly safe bet.

I don't see how you guys are concluding that the waveguide doesn't ring. I see two dominate resonances at about the same frequencies (the two drivers have different weights) which certainly could be waveguide resonances and both do affect the direct response. Both show dips and then ringing - a clear sign of energy being drawn off to the resonance and then dissipated through radiation.

As to the audibility, well, that's another question without answers. But my approach has always been to try and reduce all sources of aberration - a fairly safe bet.

Yes, I spotted those two resonances as well, but those are still small and could probably be reduced or eliminated by placing a felt damping ring between the mounting plate and the driver.

I believe it doesn't ring :)
At least the half of the waveguide closer to the driver is virtually dead. It's only the rim where the wall is the thinnest (~12 mm) where it does respond to tapping. It would probably wouldn't be so difficult to damp it completely.

You may also try to wrap a thick towel around the horn, covering the thin walled rim.

Last edited: