ACA illustrated build guide

Last edited:
hi guys,

I hope you can help me answer this simple question regarding Keratherm MOSFET insulators.

Do we use both the pink pad and the brown pad (2 layers) to insert b/w the heatsink and the mosfet or we only use the pink pad and discard the brown pad as the pink pad can be peeled off from the backing brown pad.

Please let me know the answer ASAP :)

I actually finished putting the board and soldered them to both mosfet and I only use 1 single pink pad for the thermal insulator as shown in the illustrated guide. But when I watch the Youtube video from TekThing, they use both layers (Pink+Brown) for each mosfet. That's where my confusion comes in :(

Please see the image attached for my definition of PINK and BROWN pads (Please excuse me if I don't use the right technical term for these thermal insulator pads)

Pink pad
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r82xh1aclieslc3/PINK%20PAD.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zed7uexdbwsvwj2/BROWN%20PAD.jpg?dl=0
Thanks,
Tom

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You can tin them if you like. It's not going to hurt anything. I don't.

As for speakers and little amps, more sensitivity is always better. As is a smooth impedance curve.

Once you hear these amps (totally awesome) you will really want one of the bigger First Watts, and build an Alpeh J or BA-3 or F6, etc... :) :) :)

THe suggested trimmer resistor is 5K 0.5w in part list.

Can i use 5K 250mw (1/4w) resistor?

parts_500.png

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well you need the trimmer potentiometer to adjust the bias voltage to 10V as per the instructions. If you had a pot to use temporarily you could adjust it then measure the value and then insert a resistor (or a combination) or maybe start with a resistor in around a 2.5k value. Not sure if a smaller or larger resistor raises the voltage. You can (carefully) find out. Probably someone will say and once you know that you can proceed conservatively.

THe suggested trimmer resistor is 5K 0.5w in part list.

Can i use 5K 250mw (1/4w) resistor?

Thanks in advance.

Well you need the trimmer potentiometer to adjust the bias voltage to 10V as per the instructions. If you had a pot to use temporarily you could adjust it then measure the value and then insert a resistor (or a combination) or maybe start with a resistor in around a 2.5k value. Not sure if a smaller or larger resistor raises the voltage. You can (carefully) find out. Probably someone will say and once you know that you can proceed conservatively.

This question stems from my experience with tubes whose bias can change over time. Is that true with MOSFETS or is it a set it and forget it approach?

Best,
Anand.