ACA illustrated build guide

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We switched to the new DC power jack because it is much higher quality and has only 2 terminals. The 3 terminal kind has about the only problem people have had and this solves that. We'll certainly replace parts for those that want them but enlarging the hole and using the supplied jack is the higher end solution. Of course we'll address this in the next batch but we might have to go back to the old style.

I'd like to build an amp which would ultimately be a BA3 Complimentary that also includes a built in preamp section, or a source selector and volume/gain control, but I have no real skills or knowledge of electronics. I even bought the boards for my BA3 integrated amp and power supply and that's it. No other components. I've also bought a Tubelab tube amp board because I'd like to build a tube amp as well. I really think I should probably build an ACA kit to get a start and work my way up from there. Yet the cost for the kit seems kinda high. Opinions or suggestions?

I just got mine a couple of days ago. I am new to this thread, although not new to building amps. I belong to the 300B tube type of amps, although I have built SS amps before. I bought this amp, because I like the topology of a Single Ended Class A, constant current loaded amp, and I was not dissappointed. Very simple to assemble, did it in one evening, got it running the same evening. I used my tube preamp based on a single 6h6 tube, on my Bob Brines with TangBang single driver speaker. This little amp is an incredible value, with the same problems as the previous post(power jack). Very close in sound as my $4000.00 custom built 300B amp, very musical.

With the right preamp and high efficiency speaker, this amp will deliver. Excellent Value.

I'd like to build an amp which would ultimately be a BA3 Complimentary that also includes a built in preamp section, or a source selector and volume/gain control, but I have no real skills or knowledge of electronics. I even bought the boards for my BA3 integrated amp and power supply and that's it. No other components. I've also bought a Tubelab tube amp board because I'd like to build a tube amp as well. I really think I should probably build an ACA kit to get a start and work my way up from there. Yet the cost for the kit seems kinda high. Opinions or suggestions?

If you have reasonably efficient speakers or have a small room then the ACA is an extremely nice sounding amp.
You can always sell it later if you don't have a lot of money to spare on this hobby.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sprags,

Maybe it doesn't seem that cheap but if you add up what it would cost you to get the same quality parts in small quantities it would cost the same.. Plus take a lot of time. The 2 chassis' are not cheap for us either, but are high quality and good looking IMHO ;) We use the same parts brands and types as Nelson Pass does in his commercial amps, as far as we could and they are a bit pricey too..

Mark

Last edited:

What you save in shipping costs from different suppliers and all the time it takes to make orders, double check everything makes the diyaudiostore a very nice solution.

And if as you say you don't have prior knowledge in electronics the probability you'll order a wrong part is real. There are so many option for different parts that sometimes one can get lost and make a small mistake...

I feel that what you are paying for here is not only the quality of the parts, but the quality of the actual music it provides. This amp delivers the goods, meaning the music, after all we built/buy amps, firstly to listen to music. And this amp and its sound for the price is a real bargain. One can use this as a training kit, but one can use this also as his serious listening piece.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The comments about price piqued my curiosity..

So I added up the small quantity prices for the PCB, all the components on the PCB, stainless steel bolts nuts washers and standoffs, jacks, terminals, switch, LED etc. for the chassis, plus wire, Laptop PSU's, JFETS etc, from Digi-Key, diyAudio Store, ebay, and Parts Express, but no chassis and came up with $190.65 with no packaging materials, shipping or taxes which would add up to another $25 easily so that's about $215.

That includes about $38 for 6 colors and sizes of wire in 25 foot lengths, and 8 JFETs, and 10 Insulators, since they only come in those quantities. Very handy stuff to have if you want to make other amps, or you could go in with three other people, or if you have some stuff wire and hardware on hand you could save about $50. Still well over $149 that we charge for the parts kit.

The chassis' cost $149 for a pair of monoblocks, with most holes already punched or machined, 10mm thick aluminum faceplates, and a drilled and tapped heatsink each.

With the new $10 discount for buying the complete kit of Chassis' and parts from the diyAudio Store the total cost is $289

Only downside is you miss out on the fun of painstakingly ordering all that stuff and drilling and tapping the heatsinks! ;)

Mark

Last edited:
Newbie alert. I just built the ACA. Fun experience, thanks DIYAudio for putting the kit together.
I do not have a pre amp. So, for fun and to hear 'em, I hooked up directly to my phono stage (boozhound labs kit that I assembled). The sound was great and measured a very pleasant 75db according to my phone app.

So my question, why wasn't the volume higher? I was standing ready to pull the needle off the record as it lowered because I was afraid the db would be out of sight. My speakers rate 96db @1watt. The ACA puts out 5 to 6 watts. I figured it would be running at max since I don't have a preamp in the loop. It goes TT, phono amp, ACA, speakers.