A small Class-H Lateral MOSFET amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• P2030008.JPG
    P2030008.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 308
It could be used as DIY body lotion as well :D

Nah, not really.

The home made flux works really well.

I started by dissolving 25g of pine rosin in 100g of isopropyl alcohol. That was very runny. It worked okay as liquid flux, but required several applications with a brush to get on to a decent thickness.

So I tried to see how much rosin I could dissolve in 100g of iso. I’m at 100g currently, but after about six hours there’s a little still undissolved. That’s a pretty good liquid flux. Reasonable thickness, and applies well with a brush.

I like using paste flux, as it's got a longer working time before it goes hard. According to the MSDS for a bunch of rosin paste fluxes, they’re a mixture of rosin and either lanolin or petrolatum (petroleum jelly aka Vaseline). I tried initially dissolving rosin in Vaseline, but the Vaseline is a crap solvent.

Then I tried an already dissolved rosin (50/50 rosin/iso), and added some Vaseline, so it’s about 35% rosin, 35% iso, 30% Vaseline. That worked very well. I put the runny paste in the oven for a couple of hours and evaporated some iso, and it’s even better. It’s still a bit runnier than the commercial pastes, but it performs exactly the same on the board. I can dispense good amounts without it going everywhere, and it produces beautiful bright joins. I shall make a pile of this stuff.

Attachments

• 1CCCB43A-F548-4ECC-9C57-14A4B48D04D7.jpeg
    1CCCB43A-F548-4ECC-9C57-14A4B48D04D7.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Alas no. I have no stock of high-voltage NP0 ceramic caps, nor big bipolar transistors, nor a bunch of other bits. I'm waiting on a Mouser order that's scheduled for delivery Monday.

And then there's the matter of organising power for them. I can lash something together to provide the four rails that will suffice for initial setup, but it won't be adequate for proper testing. I need to build some power supplies.

For setup and testing I'm madly designing a lab supply that I can build four of, to give me any rail I want from a big 500KVA toroid up to 60V, 6A (or thereabouts) - see Lab supply using Lateral MOSFETs

For the final product I'm designing a straightforward four rail supply using an identical pair of toroids, as shown below. One of the neat things about class G with the lower voltage rails is that I have a ready-made supply for running lower voltage stuff like preamps and active crossovers etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.36.43 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.36.43 am.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 291
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.37.24 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.37.24 am.png
    367.5 KB · Views: 286
in my experience almost all of an amplifiers power use is either with nothing playing because I forgot to turn it off, or with perhaps a watt or two going into the speakers.

I've solved this by using the RPi to control the mains power (well, everything really)
Switches on when playback is started and off at a set time after playback has stopped (30 min for me)
My system uses a small power switch for only controlling the Pi power, while use high power relays for the amp mains that the Pi controls, soft start relay included all with times in code control.
Shes nifty and all in one. Been using shairport-sync for over a year and a half flawlessly (which you apple folks would like).
Works with apple tv and any other apple device ( and linux for me)
It is now a spotify connect device with very good and better performance so far.
She is on the level of professional and in perhaps her final beta.
BTW, LTspice works on Linux as well
Screenshot from 2021-01-16 08-46-59.jpg

Some progress. The PCB goes together without issues.

I've fully populated the 200W version, and the 100W version is most of the way there. I forgot to order 100K and 47K 1W 0207 MELFs, so I've substituted 400mW 0204 parts instead for those for now. In each case the resistors are only dissipating ~120mW, so it'll work at least for testing purposes. I'll swap 1W parts in later.

I can test it as a class-AB by simply using the same supply for both MV and HV rails, so I'll probably do that initially while I keep designing and building supplies.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 250
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.