A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

despite the exitement about the new and very good looking motherboard ;-) i want to ask for help about an old DDDAC.
after i tweaked my 3 decks with tentlab shunts (8volt analog), the CCS-boards and the 1/2 clock delay i have a little buzz on one channel. it isn´t always to hear, only with some impulsive (music)signals. first it was only to hear on very low volume ( i use a TVC so there is always something to hear), now it is on louder volume too. only when i lower the volume on the digital domain (player software), there is no problem.

what can that be? thanks a lot for help and thanks a lot to doede for this great DAC!
mario

despite the exitement about the new and very good looking motherboard ;-) i want to ask for help about an old DDDAC.
after i tweaked my 3 decks with tentlab shunts (8volt analog), the CCS-boards and the 1/2 clock delay i have a little buzz on one channel. it isn´t always to hear, only with some impulsive (music)signals. first it was only to hear on very low volume ( i use a TVC so there is always something to hear), now it is on louder volume too. only when i lower the volume on the digital domain (player software), there is no problem.

what can that be? thanks a lot for help and thanks a lot to doede for this great DAC!
mario

To fault find - do all 3 DAC boards make the same noise? - if so the problem is likely with the motherboard or the WaveIO. If just one DAC board is making the noise then start comparing the noisy board with the quiet boards.

Can you describe the 'buzz' - is it like an earth loop 'hum'? or is it crackling (like a fire), or static (like the sea)?

'Crackle' sound is possibly digital noise, some problem with clock or data? As you have done the 1/2 clock mod I would check there first. Identify which channel is noisy and check where you modified the motherboard. If the noise is increasing with time - could be a dry joint there somewhere?

when something would be wrong with the 1/2 clock, it would be on both channels, wouldn´t it?

Could be a problem with connection from motherboard to one channel of the DAC. The connection of the vertical wire link at the motherboard or on one or more of the DACs?

Good idea to check the solder joints.

After that I'd think about disconnecting the DAC outputs for the channel that crackles and testing each DAC board alone. If the problem is just one board then you have narrowed the problem to that board - if it's all of them I think that points back to the motherboard.

why is it getting worse/for other volume-levels?

Could you describe what is happening here? are you adjusting volume at the digital source before the DDDAC or with a pre-amp after the DDDAC? and in what way does the crackle change?

Sorry for all the questions! picture me in front of my PC scratching my head about how to help a fellow diyer :confused:

hi Ixion, thank you for your ideas and your questions! that helps me to find a way.
desoldering the desks makes me worry; the last time i destroyed them. but it seems, that there is no other way.
volume-levels: normaly i adjust volume with my TVC (transformervolume) directly after the DAC. but i tried to turn the volume high and make it lower with the Computer/digital. and when i do this, it seems that there is no Problem with crackling. strange... any idea?

Weymario - also DDDAC himself has posted on this - he is the man! He offers understanding, I can only try and offer some logic!

I've de-soldered my DDDAC only once and agree about the risk of damage. To test you would not have to unsolder the whole deck - only the 4 output wires (A pos, A neg, B pos, B neg) for the affected channel. In fact, just for fault finding you could cut the wires in-between decks and solder some temporary links from the motherboard just to the deck you are testing?

When you control volume with the computer and not your TVC the analogue DAC output levels are lower. So possibly the noise is some clipping or something wrong with DAC power supply - possibly some issue with the 8V shunt regs, supply voltage? connections? etc.

Hi Doede,
don't get me wrong, it is just an experiment.. your design work's perfect.. also with IAN's FIFO connected via I2S .. it sounds fantastic.. IMO best DDC solution compared to Wave IO, Amanero and JL Sounds.

Additional I want to try to feed the DAC boards directly from IAN's additional I2S to PCM board .. it's just an experiment and i would share the result here because some users may be also interessted.

btw.. Output Format of I2StoPCM attached.

Dear UMarcus,
Hope I am not stepping on any toes.

Do you have a preference between the Wave IO, Amanero, JL Sounds and DIYINHK USB to I2S ?

The IAN FIFO is beyond by budget and abilities.

Thank you !

Last edited:
JL Sounds

I am not familiar with IAN FIFO but you may try xmos board from JL Sounds along with their external clock it does make substantial difference. (no usb power). I guess at the end it all depend on the Clock Oscillator type. May be someone has experimented with different clocks.

Dear karahana,
Thank you for the feedback. Have you compared the JL Sounds board to Wave IO, Amanero or DIYINHK boards?

Didn't realize that the JL Sounds USB to I2S has an input for an external clock.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have compared it to amanero, not extensively though. All in all it is not much of a difference. I liked jlsounds better it seemed a bit more clear and transparent. They have different chip and jlsonds is galvanically isolated. External clock made all the difference.

The board comes on top of the converter, very easy and compact.

Hi Ixion and Doede,
made a very interesting experience. i tried with my Lab Mains adaptor instead of the original PSU of the DDDAC. When i lowered the possible current to 0,37A and the voltage (automatically) to 5 V, the tentlab shunts worked on a low level too but there was no crackling anymore!? when i turn the voltage/current higher again, the crackling comes back.
maybe something wrong with the shunts? i am surprised that it works at all with 5V but don´t know what that means... :-(

Hi Everybody,
I've run into a problem, or at least something which doesn't sound right.
I've bought some 192kHz/24bit tracks. The tracks sound perfect if I use a Raspberry Pi with I2S isolator.
If I connect my Fiio X3II portable player, (which also support upto 192kHz/24bit) with the SPDIF input, I hear some static noises every now and then.
If I use a 96kHz / 24bit recording, no noises appear.
I've also connected the Fiio on another DAC (NAD 1050), and no problems appeared.
Tracks from another album have the same problem.
If I replace the SPDIF cable with a cheap cable, it gets worse, but if I use a more expensive Inakustik digital interlink (On-off 202) the problem is still there (although slightly less).
I've also replaced the connection-cable between the SPDIF RCA and the mainboard, but that didn't change a thing.

Does anyone recognises this problem, or has a solution for it?

Many thanks,
Jeroen.

I have compared it to amanero, not extensively though. All in all it is not much of a difference. I liked jlsounds better it seemed a bit more clear and transparent. They have different chip and jlsonds is galvanically isolated. External clock made all the difference.

The board comes on top of the converter, very easy and compact.

Thank you Karahana,
All the best