A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Check polarity of mosfets, soldering of source resistors, and shorts under the keratherm.

Polarity is correct (9240 for P; 240 for N); source resistors solder good; no shorts on Mosfets if I did it right (checked Drain Pin to Ground).

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 306
PS wiring is bit hard to track as it is routed underneath the bottom plate. I labeled the wires in the photo. My M2 and F6 builds went without a hitch. This was suppose to be a quick and dirty build but it is making me work for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0665 (1).jpg
    IMG_0665 (1).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0666 (1).jpg
    IMG_0666 (1).jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0668 (1).jpg
    IMG_0668 (1).jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0669 (1).jpg
    IMG_0669 (1).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0670 (1).jpg
    IMG_0670 (1).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It looks like you’ve got your power supply turned inside out after you split the PCB. (The LEDs should be on the inside) It’s one of those things that might not matter if you are really clever and were planning on doing that , but all the labeling will be backwards...

Double-triple check your voltages and connections and such.

It looks like you’ve got your power supply turned inside out after you split the PCB. (The LEDs should be on the inside) It’s one of those things that might not matter if you are really clever and were planning on doing that , but all the labeling will be backwards...

Double-triple check your voltages and connections and such.

They are but I didn't think that would matter as long as the V-, V+ and GND were connected properly. Will check everything again today. Thanks for taking the time to look at the photos!

Okay, found it. V- and GND are reversed on the PS board. I looked at that at least 5 times and redid the wiring twice while assembling (was done correct first time then brain must have focused on orientation instead of actual labeling on the board second time). Nice example of why not to rush even if you think you know what you're doing. :smash:

20 ohms.

Here's the link - post 185 of this thread

A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier.

Thanks! I plan on using with a Bottlehead amp also. Been listening to it with the XP10 and it is quite different than I was expecting (could certainly use more gain than the XP10 provides). Sound field is very upfront/forward with lots of detail (which I expected) but soundstage is more a wall of sound than 3-dimensional. There is little to any center image and voices fill the whole space between the speakers, or just sound like they are coming from both speakers. This is quite different from the F6 and M2 I built. Those do have dual mono power supplies, but I have other amps that do not (Audio Research and Conrad Johnson) that have much more 3-dimensional soundstage. My former PassLabs Int-60 also provided a much more 3-dimensional soundstage. Will give it a whirl with the Bottlehead but right now I prefer the F6 and M2 much more.