A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I do have some 750R. They’re probably 1/4 watt and I don’t recall the brand (could be KOA/Spear). They do meter at 750 ohms. PM me if you want a few.

Attachments

• 64740891-F0F1-4A37-AB5E-6E48D1258C6A.jpg
    64740891-F0F1-4A37-AB5E-6E48D1258C6A.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 233
Joined 2017
Paid Member
So I think I did a bad thing. I accidentally mixed up the mosfets that I bought from the diystore. There are 6 in each bag. I'm assuming they were matched? Anyway I can check them?

Mine had the values noted on the body‘s back-side (the metal side), hence my bragging about the precision of the match (#2302)... yours not?

Last edited:
They came in bags of 6. I assume one for each channel. There are no other markings. The text in the store reads:

Included in this kit are the semiconductors needed to complete an F-4 amplifier or BA-3 output stage, with the exception of the input JFETs. MOSFETs were matched in accordance with standard operating conditions. This is enough transistors for 2 channels (one stereo amplifier).

6 x IRFP 240 (F4 and BA-3)
6 x IRFP 9240 (F4 and BA-3)
2 x TL-431 (BA-3)
The IRFP9240/IRFP240 MOSFETs were matched at the rail voltage and current that the BA-3 and F4 articles suggest, specifically, 22v and .4A, and then grouped by VGS to within .1V.

I dropped a message to the store to see if, per chance, all 12 are matched.

Last edited:
I have been slowly been gathering parts for a F4 build. I also bought the transistor set from the Diyaudio store. None are marked with any measurement numbers. All the N's in one bag and all of the P's in another. I guess I'm going to have to trust that the store did the matching and didn't bother writing the numbers down. But then again how would they sort them out after measuring a bunch.

Elena from the store does not know and passed on the question. It might take a bit for an answer. I'm still waiting for the chassis, so no rush. I also posted the question in the DIY store in the question section for the F4 devices.

But if they came with Ns and Ps in separate bags, with no individual labeling, then they should all be matched...if they're matched at all.

I have enough time to build the matching rig and do it myself. Might be fun to try.