A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Joined 2017
Paid Member
If on the metal, that’s the Vgs, which is the actual measurement. Still, don’t separate the trios.

And to answer the next question, the Vgs of the N channel will almost never match the Vgs of the P channel, and they don’t need to for proper operation.

Tank again, 6L6
Here's what I've got. I'm very confident this will come true :)

Attachments

• f4-mosfets.jpg
    f4-mosfets.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 291
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I've noticed Vishay are producing tighter matching parts compared with 8 years ago.

I just built an F4, matching the MOSFETs myself for that.

Bought one tube (25 pcs.) of each, Vishay IRFP240 & '9240.

Did match all FETs at 25V and 500 mA.

Out of my tube of '240s, I got three Triplets within +/- 1 mV. And another two Triplets within +/- 3 mV. And then, two more pairs within 1 mV.

Of the 25 pcs. of '9240s, I got one Octet within +/- 2 mV, or two Triplets within +/- 1 mV and a perfect pair ... also, there's one more Triplet within 1 mV, and two more perfect pairs ... :)

Spread between highest and lowest Vgs was about 9 mV for both the '240s and '9240s, respectively.
And the '240s and '9240s were less 10 mV apart from each other in Vgs.

So, if you buy a complete tube of each from a reputable distributor, you could actually just pick your MOSFETs randomly from the tube and be done with it ... :p

Therefore, I have to second pico, and I'm happy with Vishay's production tolerances :D

Regards, Claas

Damn, I missed a click or something and haven't been getting email updates for my f4 threads. Missed out on some action, but have been putting a good 3 hrs a night onto my F4s. Just bought a high gain dht pre-amp based on the eml 20a-m... excited to hear the f4s driven by a new circuit (current pre uses 6sn7s). Glad to see more people making the right choice and building these wonderful amplifiers.

While I'm waiting on the cabinet, I got the amp boards stuffed.

I'm missing R22. Somehow overlooked it when ordering. I checked my stash of 1/2W resistors and don't have a 750R. I love paying $10 for $.40 worth of parts! I'll wait to see what else I missed.

I received the Antek 5220 500CVA transformer. The dang thing weighs over 10#.

I'm a little confused on the PSU. I'll start and post when I get stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 212