A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I've built a few tube kits and I just finished two Amp Camps and a B1 Korg. They work and sound great.

<SNIP>

So all that said, other than ordering the F4 and PSU boards, the Deluxe Aluminum 4U chassis, some Keratherm insulators and everything on the BoM, what do I need? I guess I'll need binding posts, IEC and RCA sockets, wire, etc.

I recommend getting the back panel kit if you're already getting the deluxe chassis. The other thing that I'd recommend is building a dim bulb tester if you don't have one.

This thread and the OPs accompanying blog may help.

Aleph J build guide for noobs

It's a different amp, but it could help with sorting out a few odds and ends that you may forget to order that are common to many amp builds. It may also help with some of the PSU choices and the PSU build if needed.

Am I biting off too much?

Not based on the previous builds you listed. Have fun!

OK, I'm committed. Thanks for all the tips. I'll work my way thought the Aleph J thread now before I place my PE order.

I placed my BoM order for the F4 including the extra 431s.

This is what I have from the DIY store. Anything else?

Still have to work on the PSU BoM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.20.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.20.32 PM.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.27.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.27.39 PM.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
The .47R 3W I chose are wire wound. This might be an education opportunity for me.

I've read that metal film resistors <100R are inductive as well. How much so, I don't know. I can't seem to find inductance specs for either.

Since this amp appears to be a current gain amp as opposed to voltage gain, what effect would these resistors have vs a metal film in this application?

UPDATE:

I just found these. Not cheap, considering I need 12, but they are 1% WW non-inductive. Maybe best of both worlds?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/NS02BR4700FE12?qs=W7Nw27pQsKm5Agv1HbHygA==

Last edited:
For good performance get a VA rated transformer around 3x greater than dissipation of amp.
2x is bare minimum

F4 is 2 x 46V (rail to rail) x 1.3 A = 120 W

240VA would be absolute bare minimum.
300VA is generally considered the Firstwatt standard for most of the amps
360VA or greater would be the most optimal.

Going with a bigger transformer will result in:
Better voltage regulation
Radiated heat from the transformer will be minimised